Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Today’s find - UK Colpix mono of a larger sized group put together by pianist Dave Lee in 1965. Notable for appearances by Ronnie Ross and Tubby Hayes as well as Kenny Wheeler. Finally glad to have this one !

0014919360_10.jpg

Amazing that my local had not one but 3 copies of this 3LP set. Must have been a late delivery for RSD. 

Edited by sidewinder

On 5/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, sidewinder said:

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Today’s find - UK Colpix mono of a larger sized group put together by pianist Dave Lee in 1965. Notable for appearances by Ronnie Ross and Tubby Hayes as well as Kenny Wheeler. Finally glad to have this one !

0014919360_10.jpg

Amazing that my local had not one but 3 copies of this 3LP set. Must have been a late delivery for RSD. 

How's the Lee? I've nearly bought it a couple of times 

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How's the Lee? I've nearly bought it a couple of times 

I like it. Colpix vinyl can be very iffy and in the past I have passed on copies which were suspect, with surface noise an issue. This one is fine. Tubby Hayes is only on half of the LP.

31 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I like it. Colpix vinyl can be very iffy and in the past I have passed on copies which were suspect, with surface noise an issue. This one is fine. Tubby Hayes is only on half of the LP.

Thanks, coincidentally one of my near locals has a copy. I might try and go in to give it a preview 

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

My0zMzQ2LmpwZWc.jpeg

I heard Joanne Brackeen with Joe Henderson in the late 70´s, maybe 1978 and she was fantastic and the audience loved here. 
I heard her later with what was called a Joe Farrell Quartet (strange it would have been with Chet Baker added as the star of the group, but Chet was great in disappearing) and it was fair, but never close to here playing for Henderson. There was also one or two duos with the bass player whose name I don´t recall (is there a bassist Clint Houston ?). But piano-bass duo is not so much my thing. I have a very hard time listening to something where there´s no drums.

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I heard Joanne Brackeen with Joe Henderson in the late 70´s, maybe 1978 and she was fantastic and the audience loved here. 
I heard her later with what was called a Joe Farrell Quartet (strange it would have been with Chet Baker added as the star of the group, but Chet was great in disappearing) and it was fair, but never close to here playing for Henderson. There was also one or two duos with the bass player whose name I don´t recall (is there a bassist Clint Houston ?). But piano-bass duo is not so much my thing. I have a very hard time listening to something where there´s no drums.

Have no recordings with her but some radio broadcasts with the bass player you did mention.

Brackeen,Joanne    RB Bayern    0000/00/00         120    München    USA    Brackeen,J.
Brackeen,Joanne    RB SWF    1977    7"(1)         Berlin    USA     
Brackeen,Joanne    RB SWF    1977/11/05    6"(2)         Berlin    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980    7"(1)         Hamburg    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980    7"(2)         Hamburg    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980/11    6"(2)         Hamburg(OP)    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980/11/11    7"(2)         Hamburg(OP)    USA    Brackeen,Joanne

Edited by jazzcorner