Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I heard Joanne Brackeen with Joe Henderson in the late 70´s, maybe 1978 and she was fantastic and the audience loved here. 
I heard her later with what was called a Joe Farrell Quartet (strange it would have been with Chet Baker added as the star of the group, but Chet was great in disappearing) and it was fair, but never close to here playing for Henderson. There was also one or two duos with the bass player whose name I don´t recall (is there a bassist Clint Houston ?). But piano-bass duo is not so much my thing. I have a very hard time listening to something where there´s no drums.

Brackeen is an amazing pianist, IMO -- and, yes, she often played with Clint Houston.  

Brackeen & Houston also made several excellent recordings together.  This one is perhaps my favorite of theirs:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Another duo album -- like Prism with Gomez.

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Have no recordings with her but some radio broadcasts with the bass player you did mention.

Brackeen,Joanne    RB Bayern    0000/00/00         120    München    USA    Brackeen,J.
Brackeen,Joanne    RB SWF    1977    7"(1)         Berlin    USA     
Brackeen,Joanne    RB SWF    1977/11/05    6"(2)         Berlin    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980    7"(1)         Hamburg    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980    7"(2)         Hamburg    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980/11    6"(2)         Hamburg(OP)    USA    Houston,Clint
Brackeen,Joanne    RB NDR    1980/11/11    7"(2)         Hamburg(OP)    USA    Brackeen,Joanne

Nice!  :tup 

Today early in the morning after a fishing trip for Pikeperch, drivin´ home with my USP and listening to my old and favourite bop album of Dameron with Fats Navarro at Royal Roost.

Vintage bop with first class solos, and two very fine ballad vocal features by Kenny Haggood,  a very slow version of "Pennis from Heaven" and the short "The Kitchenette Across the Hall" , which maybe was composed by Tadd with lyrics also by Tadd. 

When it was over, the next album was Dexter´s Swiss Nights with the rare vocal by Dexter on "Jelly Jelly Jelly". 

Very fine, very swinging, and both Dex and Kenny Drew wonderful. 

Download.jpg

Download (1).jpg

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When it was over, the next album was Dexter´s Swiss Nights with the rare vocal by Dexter on "Jelly Jelly Jelly". 

Download (1).jpg

😁

I wonder if the Swiss audience of 1975 grasped the lyrics and (sexual) implications of the "Jelly Jelly" vocals (that were ultra-current and up to date in the 40s - in the Black community anyway - but certainly not much later anymore) or if they took this purely as a piece of nostalgia ... at most ... :D

Luckily no Swiss radio would ever have been hampered by puritan airplay bans of so-called "explicit" lyrics :w 😄

23 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

😁

I wonder if the Swiss audience of 1975 grasped the lyrics and (sexual) implications of the "Jelly Jelly" vocals (that were ultra-current and up to date in the 40s - in the Black community anyway - but certainly not much later anymore) or if they took this purely as a piece of nostalgia ... at most ... :D

Luckily no Swiss radio would ever have been hampered by puritan airplay bans of so-called "explicit" lyrics :w 😄

It would have passed muster over here no problem - images of jelly, fruit and cream desert !

On 5/31/2023 at 2:55 AM, Gheorghe said:

I heard Joanne Brackeen with Joe Henderson in the late 70´s, maybe 1978 and she was fantastic and the audience loved here. 
I heard her later with what was called a Joe Farrell Quartet (strange it would have been with Chet Baker added as the star of the group, but Chet was great in disappearing) and it was fair, but never close to here playing for Henderson. There was also one or two duos with the bass player whose name I don´t recall (is there a bassist Clint Houston ?). But piano-bass duo is not so much my thing. I have a very hard time listening to something where there´s no drums.

yeah, Clint Houston. She is on his record Watership Down as well, which is good.

15 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, Clint Houston. She is on his record Watership Down as well, which is good.

Besides the wonderful gig with Joe Henderson, I saw her some years later with Joe Farrell (nothing special remembered about this) and in course of that set I think to remember she also did a duo without drums and the saxophone. 

Well, this must have been a trademark of her. I don´t remember really. But for me it´s not the mere happiness without a drummer. 

Miles Davis - Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet (Prestige/Craft Recordings). This is the latest LP release of this that I bought mainly because it was on sale. I already had the OJC LP from the 80s, so this purchase was made mostly out of curiosity. Comparing the two, I don't hear enough of a difference to justify the purchase. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Primary

Billy Bang - Rainbow Gladiator (Soul Note). Looking at the lineup, you'd think this would be further out than it is. It's still not a fav of mine but it's good to break up the day. This evaluation board layout review document I'm working on from home is a bear. An 8 layer circuit board with buried RF traces that I have to make sure are properly matched. Yeah, Billy gets it. :)

Primary

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Besides the wonderful gig with Joe Henderson, I saw her some years later with Joe Farrell (nothing special remembered about this) and in course of that set I think to remember she also did a duo without drums and the saxophone. 

Well, this must have been a trademark of her. I don´t remember really. But for me it´s not the mere happiness without a drummer. 

The only time I saw her was without drums as well. It was with Don Thompson on bass and Pat LaBarbera on tenor. An excellent performance, as I recall.

Edited by sidewinder

12 hours ago, bresna said:

Miles Davis - Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet (Prestige/Craft Recordings). This is the latest LP release of this that I bought mainly because it was on sale. I already had the OJC LP from the 80s, so this purchase was made mostly out of curiosity. Comparing the two, I don't hear enough of a difference to justify the purchase. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Primary

All of Miles´ Prestige albums are great. I can´t say about different sound quality from different editions since I only bought my LPs or CDs once. 
Actually, one of the four classic first quintet Prestige albums was the first jazz I ever heard when I was a kid. 
It´s strange that "Steamin´" was the only album available then. 
I learned later about "Cookin´" "Relaxin´" and "Workin´". 

Is this the one with a version of Dizzy´s "Woody´n You" ? I love that tune and I love the arrangement of the out chorus, which I think was originally written by John Lewis for the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band. 

I have not listened to those albums for a long time. The only thing I can say about good sound quality is, that I think all Prestige records have a good sound quality. One of those albums I think has a blues "Trane´s Blues" and I remember that Philly J.J.´s fantastic cymbal sound is well recorded, and that´s what is very important to me.

On 6/1/2023 at 11:55 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

😁

When I first heard it shortly after it came out, I didn´t understand the lyrics or only a few fragments of it and surely not the other implications. And anyway Dexter´s speaking voice in those later days was not easy to understand, or almost un-understandable for "auslanders" 😉 with only some self taught english from dictionaries and liner notes. 

I remember I "understood" : "Baby I just called you w o n d e r f u l " (instead of "on the phone") and the ending of "so bye bye now" .....
Most lyrics of any kind sounded like "rhabarber" to me. 
But the thing I quickly remembered on that track was that really relaxed easy listening blues in F. The singing voice of Dexter here is wonderful, he could have done more of it. 
I heard him "try" it again in 1983 when he "closed" a miserable and extremly short set with this. Then I still didn´t understand the lyrics (I only read them in the Billy Eckstine book". 

Usually I don´t listen to very loud music in the car, but on that early morning I was in such an exuberant mood that I really turned the volume up, while standing in a little "stau". 

14 hours ago, bresna said:

Primary

Good to know that. That series is getting somewhat overhyped in various quarters. I have the ‘Chronicle’ LPs and I’ll bet it doesn’t offer any significant difference on these too.

The price for this is going at about £40 in the UK - extortionate. I guess some folks over here must have money to burn.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, rostasi said:

image.jpeg.f167c7274808f62ec54a7819716ca649.jpeg

This must be great ! 

That´s the quartet with Dewey Redman ? Who was the others ? Haden and Ornette jr ? 
The Ornette Coleman of the late sixties is very interesting. While his late 50´s /early 60´s records for me don´t sound like "free jazz" since they still have much swing rhythm, is style in the late 60´s became more "rubato" playing and maybe that´s what I understood more as being "free jazz". Well, on the two BN´s "NY is Now" and "Love Call" their is still much swing, but this may have been ordered by Lion and Wolff (it must "schwing"). 
I prefer the two Impluse! albums from that time. Maybe Roma-Italia is similar to  that ? 

8 hours ago, rostasi said:

I bought that under very strange circumstances, it was a little bus that sold records, near the festival cort of "Velden Jazztage 1979" , where there was a lotta records of more advanced players, but from very very strange small labels. That´s where I got this double album. It is somehow the first one, that got Shepp back to more conservative forms like the straight ahead blues "for Donald Duck". 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This must be great ! ...

Well, when you go to the link it tells you that there are two bass players on this one and no Dewey.

Here's another link that's a sample:

The Shepp album is a record store day re-release this year of the '76 LP and so that's probably why you found it in a special location. The Moncur III tune, "Blues For Don'l Duck" is nearly 30 minutes long and takes up Side One and half of Side Two and is quite an exercise, but not everyone likes exercising, so there's that...

Edited by rostasi