• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warne Marsh 'Ne Plus Ultra' (Revelation)

It's always a pleasure to return to the sounds of this extraordinary musician.

For the added tracks, will look for the HatArt reissue when it comes out. But I love the sound of this vinyl. Main engineering by Pete Welding!

Rock, jazz, energy:

f77274qtdl1.jpg

Grateful Dead: "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been"---Warner Brothers 3091- double gatefold LP.

c5201007gcl.jpg

Jefferson Airplane: "Bless Its Pointed Little Head: Alive at the Fillmore East/West" RCA LSP-4133. I love the Jefferson Airplane. I used to go to the Fillmore East, but never caught the Airplane, much to my regret.

And then some great jazz:

B0000AKNJL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My copy, 3 LP set, is on the America label (A French label?), in a double gatefold jacket, with lovely pictures of the musicians, Clifford Jordan, Eric Dolphy, and Mingus.

All of this fits together beautifully.

Edited by Leeway

Jazz and rock:

9c_1.JPG

Dolphy- "Copenhagen Concert" Prestige double LP

Then a very "groovy" ( :D ) rock album, Jefferson Airplane's "Volunteers"-- I really like this one:

g40564axjgg.jpg

Not to be played at volume if you have cantankerous neighbors-- deep Purple going heavy metal:

d5725720i01.jpg

Edited by Leeway

Jimmy Smith time:

Back at the Chicken Shack and then Midnight Special. Organ is my favorite setting for Stanley Turrentine -- either with Jimmy Smith or Shirley Scott.

Chicken Shack is a NY Stereo and Midnight Special is a NY mono. These are both from the same session, and listening to them back to back I really do like the mono versions of Blue Notes better.

Elvis Costello Almost Blue This is probably my favorite Costello album, although that is a hard choice to have to make. There is also a great CD out of this album that contains a 2nd disc with lots of great stuff on it, including a great tune he did with George Jones called "Stranger in the House" that is originally on the Jones album of duets called My Very Special Friends that I highly recommend to folks who like country.

I'll be back to jazz soon!

And Wolff, I love that Tristano set too. It really opened my ears to Tristano. The solo stuff is amazing, and seems so different than much of what was happening at the time. Very original.

Alas, no; just him and a kid standing in front of a cheak clothing store. :lol:

The LP disaster involved my getting transferred back stateside while in the navy. Our wonderful personnel office on the ship decided they couldn't give me copies of my orders in time for me to ship my LPs back to the states on the Navy's dime, and I couldn't afford to do it myself, so I had to find a new home fast. Unfortunately, while Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, the entire Stiff Records roster, etc. may have been popular in some areas of the world, onboard my ship wasn't one of those areas...a lot of the stuff I had to leave in the hands of a friend to deal with. :(

Time to revisit Monk. It's like traveling to the headwaters of the Nile:

e72031ulktv.jpg

180 gram Columbia vinyl reissue. Not quite the audiphile treat they promise but good enough. Does anyone know more about Columbia's vinyl reissues?

Spurred on by Brownie's comments on "Afternoon of a Fawn," I pulled out my copy. Alas, my feelings about the album are less enthusiastic. An interesting experiment in soundscapes, perhaps, reminded me a bit of Messiaen. I'm pretty sure, however, it's not jazz (not that that is necessarily damning). Perhaps one has to be in just the right mood, or maybe an, er, enhanced, mood to fully get into it. ;)

Jazzmooose, a sad story indeed :(

Does anyone know more about Columbia's vinyl reissues?

Short and simple: I tried a few and they sucked. :)

Turrentine: HUSTLIN'...Halfway through his first solo on 'Goin Home' I just made out someone saying, "Yeahhhh" in the background. Love the nice long solos he takes on this LP.