Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 51.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    5007

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3743

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That particular jingle had a few different iterations, different singers. It's some pretty wack changes, really.

Plus, it was really omnipresent for a few years. "Feeling groovy, just had my Cheerios:, I bet that those of us of roughly a certain age had that one burned into our brain.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That particular jingle had a few different iterations, different singers. It's some pretty wack changes, really.

Plus, it was really omnipresent for a few years. "Feeling groovy, just had my Cheerios:, I bet that those of us of roughly a certain age had that one burned into our brain.

 

Interesting that they kept Roy Kral's voiceover from the previous ad, even though the singer's different.

I was around when these ads were aired, but I'm too young to remember them. 

I do remember the Life cereal ads with Mikey.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

cs900327-01a-big.jpg

Tone Poet version. First impressions are extremely good, will be comparing with a mono NY copy over the weekend, hopefully. Crisp and very quiet in terms of noise.

Updated - dug out my NY USA mono copy. Again, impression is of more ‘umph’ and cut hotter than the TP, with more emphasis on mid range, bass and ‘more body’. Big John is in your face ! The mono is the more exciting pressing, the TP adds more refinement. Both are mighty good. Incidentally, I am impressed by the cover art reproduction on the TP. Original sleeve slightly darker in tone but not too much in it.

Edited by sidewinder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

cs900327-01a-big.jpg

Tone Poet version. First impressions are extremely good, will be comparing with a mono NY copy over the weekend, hopefully. Crisp and very quiet in terms of noise.

I have a Japanese cd version. I wonder if the vinyl version is worth buying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I have a Japanese cd version. I wonder if the vinyl version is worth buying. 

Brad - see my comments up above, where I compare the TP with a NY mono pressing. I don’t think you will be disappointed with this new issue. With CDs I can only compare with the Conn but for sure the TP is an improvement.

Edited by sidewinder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

cs900327-01a-big.jpg

Tone Poet version. First impressions are extremely good, will be comparing with a mono NY copy over the weekend, hopefully. Crisp and very quiet in terms of noise.

Updated - dug out my NY USA mono copy. Again, impression is of more ‘umph’ and cut hotter than the TP, with more emphasis on mid range, bass and ‘more body’. Big John is in your face ! The mono is the more exciting pressing, the TP adds more refinement. Both are mighty good. Incidentally, I am impressed by the cover art reproduction on the TP. Original sleeve slightly darker in tone but not too much in it.

Damn... I might have to pick that one up. It's not like I have a mono US LP laying around to hold me over. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Brad - see my comments up above, where I compare the TP with a NY mono pressing. I don’t think you will be disappointed with this new issue. With CDs I can only compare with the Conn but for sure the TP is an improvement.

Thanks mate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I think this one is very under-rated, have often seen it get lukewarm reviews. I would give it 4 or 5 stars. The NY pressing sounds great too - definitely no need for a Tone Poet (already scarce anyway).

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

NY USA mono.

I should give that one another try probably. I mostly don’t like the whole Bossa thing (few exceptions) but I love Rouses playing. Yeah! is among my very favorite straightahead jazz dates. And I have to admit: Rouse definitely has that Bossa sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Springboard, Jeff Clyne, Ian Carr , Trevor Watts, John Stevens. Polydor Special LP. With drawings by Richie Stevens (age 6).

a fave.

4 hours ago, Pim said:

I should give that one another try probably. I mostly don’t like the whole Bossa thing (few exceptions) but I love Rouses playing. Yeah! is among my very favorite straightahead jazz dates. And I have to admit: Rouse definitely has that Bossa sound.

Had it but sold it finally -- just wasn't getting enough airtime. Nice record but as you say, the Bossa thing isn't really for me (even when done by Rouse or Sadao Watanabe).

On 11/10/2022 at 10:29 AM, Pim said:

Yeah this is my third Hutch Tone Poet and I love all of them. He was such a great musician.

indeed he was and is. Glad I got to see him while he was still with us (and playing his butt off).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...