What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Shake Keane Fivetet - 1962 (Piccadilly ) fairly battered 45rpm 7 incher. 2 slightly Caribean sounding tracks - The Nursery Blues and Ruanda, no Joe Harriott but some nice celeste and Cedric West's guitar.

Wow - that sounds obscure !

I guess it must be, curiously it states that its a A Record Supervision Production and therefore I wondered if it might have been a Lansdowne recording. But Lansdowne were on Columbia and Piccadilly was part of Pye. Any rate, this new slice of Shake set me listening to my Joe Harriot Cds and then to the wonderful Gearbox EP just released and mentioned a few pages back. Gearbox records.

Lansdowne also had stuff released on Pye, I seem to recollect. I think Chris Barber's "Petite fleur" had a note to that effect on the label. Haven't got any of those Barber records so can't look it up, but they might have been earlier than the other material we know better.

Or it might simply have been that some musicians were already under contract to other labels and their material apeared on those labels. In the pop field, that was what Joe Meek, RGM, did. He had stuff issued on HMV, Parlophone, Decca, Top Rank (I think before EMI took it over), as well as his own label, Triumph.

MG

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it must be, curiously it states that its a A Record Supervision Production and therefore I wondered if it might have been a Lansdowne recording.

'Record Supervision' was Dennis Preston's operation so it must have been recorded down there in the basement of the Lansdowne Studio. Nice one !

He mainly sold sessions to Columbia/EMI UK but also to other parties too I believe.

Edited by sidewinder

Curtis Peagler - I'll be around - Pablo

I hadn't realised before that this was produced by Eric Miller, who worked for Fantasy - so Fantasy must have continued to make new albums on Pablo after Norman Granz sold it to Fantasy.

Nice Bop album with Gildo Mahones, Herbie Lewis and Mr Higgins.

MG