Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2858559-son-house-living-legends.jpg

Son House/Skip James/Bukka White/Big Joe Williams: Living Legends (Verve/Folkways)

That's a good one - some of my favorite latter-day Skip James.

And the Son House cut is riveting.

edit - I'm amazed that someone else here has this one. Then again, there are some amazing people on this Board.

Edited by paul secor

my first original Jazzland LP... not in great condition but for a rather acceptable price - and the sound is terrific!

juniormancethesoulfulpi.jpg

The Soulful Piano of Junior Mance (JLP 30)

front cover of mine looks much worse than above, back is better, vinyl is clean enough but in silent parts there's plenty of pops and clicks... still, Ben Tucker's bass comes through wonderfully!

My copy of the LP says Monaural 6017 in lower left corner, but has an oval blue sticker with 86017 pasted over the Fantasy logo in upper right. Most of the copies of this LP state stereo across the top. Anyway, more importantly, undiluted, high-voltage Mingus. (sorry could not find a smaller image without the stereo marking. )

499426.jpg

wallac10.jpg

This is a wonderful record. It was recorded for Vanguard in 1967 and rejected by that label as not commercial enough. It was finally released twenty years later by Mountain Railroad Records and soon disappeared. Drive reissued it as a CD in 1994, and it's now o/p also, but available on Amazon.

Sippie Wallace is in fine form, singing mostly her own compositions. Otis Spann is magnificent backing her on several songs. And the Kweskin Jug Band does a first class job of backing her on the rest of the album.

Highly recommended!

Edited by paul secor

SaxophoneSpecial.JPG

Steve Lacy - Saxophone Special (Emanem)

That's one I'd like to have on LP! thumbs_up.gif

Listening to some Trane:

I actually have the UK EMI LP of this album. Could not find a picture of that version. Odd (to me) to read: "His Master's Voice" with dog looking into gramophone on the cover of a Coltrane album.

The_John_Coltrane_Quartet_Plays.jpg

Also:

albumcoverJohnColtrane-ColtraneJazz.jpg