Elvin is dead

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

donn bennett drum studio email list just sent me the news. he died at his home in new york either today or last night i dont remember what the email said now. rip elvin the great master of modern jazz drumming

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what condition Elvin, the great drum spirit, is in, my thoughts and prayers are with him. I was afraid to read something like this every day, and I suggest we wait until we can confirm this and stay neutral. Considering the description of his state on that gig recently, it's no small wonder. I sincerely do wish him all the best and ask you to join me - I have been thinking about him every day since I read that post. Let's not get overwhelmed by the negative potential of spreading news - or rumors - fast. Stay cool and send him the best of your spirits.

This was posted at Jazz Corner by a very reliable source:

Elvin Jones has passed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a call from Keiko Jones who told me that Elvin passed away today May 18, 2004 at 2:46 pm.

She said Elvin was happy and peaceful.

I did not know Elvin well, but his contribution to this music cannot be measured or communicated with words.

I will really miss him.

Guest ariceffron

ELVIN SHOULD BE REMEMBERED NOT JUST AS A GREAT DRUMMER OF THE MODERN ERA BUT FOR TEACHING YOUNG KIDS ABOUT JAZZ AS WELL. HIS BAND TOURED EXTENSIVELY IN RECENT YEARS AND LOTS OF KIDS LEARNED ABOUT JAZZ FROM HIS CONCERTS

I have '5/4 Thing' on Disk 4 playing at this very moment - nice and loud. This is as good a way as any to remember Elvin.  :(

I was just listening to that cut this afternoon.

They're playin' Evin & Trane on WKCR.org right now. :blink:

Edited by 7/4

Sad news indeed.

I saw Elvin only once - at the Artpark Jazz Festival in Lewiston NY. He was nice enough to sign a copy of A Love Supreme for me. Very friendly guy. He put on a great show that night. I think it's great that he was playing as recently as he was even if he was in rough shape and that the jazz fans who saw him were able to pay tribute to this legend.

It must have been great for him as he neared the end to know that he was so loved, appreciated and respected.

I picked up the Elvin Jones Mosaic about 6 weeks ago and it's been in heavy rotation ever since. Great stuff. Spinning 5/4 thing right now. That whole disc 4 is a monster. What a great way to celebrate his life - boardmembers and fellow jazz fans worldwide are reaching for some Elvin Jones tonight.

For those who don't have the Mosaic, I say fear not the era from which it originates. There is some absolutely kick-ass stuff in this set. Superb, creative, intense, rhythmic. There are a few clunkers as in any complete Mosaic set , but as a set this one is so vastly underrated and overlooked that it's a shame. Order it tomorrow.

Commemorate Elvin tonight.

Edited by Ed Swinnich