Afro-Cuban/Afro-Cuban Jazz Music

LAL

A release from 2003 called "Now is another time" by David Murray's Latin Big Band. Not a typical Murray, lots of beautiful melodies (my favorite tunes are: Sad kind of love, Crystal and Giovanni's mission), elaborate arrangements. The high note orgasms work very well, shouting above the band. Great solos by other members of the band too.

• 1 year later...

Craving more of this Afro Cuban stuff...

Anyone has this set, is it worth getting or should I pick one or two of the single discs? If not the box set then which disc? Thanks!

Abbilona Tambor Yoruba

Complete 8 CD Package Set

Description:

The entire 8 CD collection. A must-have.

Editor's Pick:

The Abbilona series is by far the best representation of Afro-Cuban Yoruban religious voice and drum music we have ever seen. Quite frankly, the music of Santeria has never been recorded and packaged in such a comprehensive manner. This is the complete 8 CD collection. It is very hard to find and we have limited quantities. Highly recommended.

Includes:

Oyá

Obatalá

Yemayá

Aggayú

Changó

Orisha Oko, Oddua, Ibeyis, Olokun

Elegguá, Oggún y Ochosí

Ochún (BP, 2000-06-12)

Available at descarga.com

Edited by LAL

• 2 years later...

Interesting thread here, with some posters who seem to have dropped off the scene.

Been listening to Beny Moré, Armando Orefiche, and 50's Compay Segundo lately. I think I tend to like Cuban music best when its American influence is not a dominant presence (which, in the case of Orefiche, is open to debate).

At any rate, using the brackets of, say, 1920-1960, any more recs for "Cuban" music?

There is a new 6-CD-box on Tumbao: A comprehensive documentation of the legendary Arsenio Rodriguez - a must, IMO - it's up high on my buying list for the summer.

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record-ma...?record_id=4931

c4931.jpg

For a brief moment, Amazon had this set listed at $13.99, an outrageous misprice! So I ordered it. Of course, it is out of stock, but it has not been canceled, so I am keeping my fingers crossed......

Edited by Stefan Wood

• 1 year later...

Hi All

Been reading through this thread since I'm off to Cuba in a few months and thought I'd familiarise myself with some music.

Any real beginner tips to navigate here since the last entries on this thread. Never really hooekd into the Buena Vista Social Club stuff but to begin I have a Verve twofer More than Mambo and the introducing Ruben Gonzalez album.

Any great newby recs?

Any Recs for Havana/Cuba generally?

Hi All

Been reading through this thread since I'm off to Cuba in a few months and thought I'd familiarise myself with some music.

Any real beginner tips to navigate here since the last entries on this thread. Never really hooekd into the Buena Vista Social Club stuff but to begin I have a Verve twofer More than Mambo and the introducing Ruben Gonzalez album.

Any great newby recs?

Any Recs for Havana/Cuba generally?

Have you checked Gilles Peterson's newest project?

Havana Cultura

fantastic stuff IMO

other thread

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Have you checked Gilles Peterson's newest project?

Havana Cultura

fantastic stuff IMO

other thread

This looks excellent and I'd missed this completely. Gilles has great taste, thanks!

do dig deep into that site. esp the touring section under the tab "my Havana" and "artists" as it's a treasure. the whole thing has been updated and just goes on and on. have the best time!

What about Bola Sete?

61Eb2NZ43eL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tour De Force

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phP0unmuDGI

Hey Jostber

I love that youtube clip and the album looks right up my street (is it as good as the clip?). Maybe brazilian though?

Bola Sete is as good as it gets on this kind of music. For some of his other best music check this:

http://www.amazon.com/Shambhala-Moon-Bola-Sete/dp/B0000641AR/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266792418&sr=1-11

Edited by jostber

Since this thread was started I've had the chance to grab some Bebo Valdes cd's which have been very good including Bebo Rides Again and Bebo de Cuba. I would also strongly recommend this one by JP Torres:

http://www.amazon.com/Algo-Nuevo-S%C3%83%C2%BAper-Son-Todos-Hierros/dp/B000OLHFB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266794947&sr=1-3