Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stitt_sonny_completer_102b.jpg

The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions - CD1

Went on with this one... into CD4 by now - great! :excited:

Blargh ... yet another set on my 'bypass' list that I now feel an insatiable urge to own.

It is a good boxed set, that I don't regret owning. However, the set is redundant---with that said, it's redundant with Stitt's great playing, supporting cast, etc. It just is the BASICALLY the same thing for 9CD's, a big band session that's OK, and a bunch of blowing sessions. If you just need a cheap Stitt fix, get the recording Sonny Stitt sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio, it's excellent :w

stitt_sonny_completer_102b.jpg

The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions - CD1

Went on with this one... into CD4 by now - great! :excited:

Blargh ... yet another set on my 'bypass' list that I now feel an insatiable urge to own.

It is a good boxed set, that I don't regret owning. However, the set is redundant---with that said, it's redundant with Stitt's great playing, supporting cast, etc. It just is the BASICALLY the same thing for 9CD's, a big band session that's OK, and a bunch of blowing sessions. If you just need a cheap Stitt fix, get the recording Sonny Stitt sits in with the Oscar Peterson Trio, it's excellent :w

Hard to say if one really needs it... Stitt seems to be "on" on almost each an every track here, though, so that's a strong plus. But I've got a whopping 44 Stitt CDs (plenty of them being twofers, making it probably more than 60-70 albums) not counting the Mosaic, so it seems I'm a fan... I prefer his tenor actually, and there's more alto than tenor on the Roost dates, but that didn't bother me, as, again, Stitt's "on" nearly all the time!

Anyway, for the casual listener, I guess one or two of the albums with Ammons, the Prestige dates (either just the ole Stitt-Powell-Johnson disc or the 3CD "Stitt's Bits") and the two Cobblestone albums would be the essentials. But with someone like Stitt it's not that easy to pick... whenever he was "on", good music resulted, but little is truly great or even essential, I guess (other than the two Prestige dates with Bud, Curly Russell and Max Roach in support - those should be in every collection). But again, to me, it's all good to great, as I'm a fan!