Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎04‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 10:24 PM, ghost of miles said:

266.jpg

😊👍😊

Started listening to the Basie material over the past weekend ... but somehow wasn't in the mood for swing (mood swings?) ... but yeah, looking forward a lot!

Regarding if the Waller material is good or not, I'm curious ... I've got the JSP sets around but haven't dug into them too deeply yet, and when playing the Waller from the previously available DLs, I found it just right, though certainly not among the highlights (how about Hawkins's "Body and Soul"!?!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 1:29 AM, king ubu said:

Started listening to the Basie material over the past weekend ... but somehow wasn't in the mood for swing (mood swings?) ... but yeah, looking forward a lot!

Regarding if the Waller material is good or not, I'm curious ... I've got the JSP sets around but haven't dug into them too deeply yet, and when playing the Waller from the previously available DLs, I found it just right, though certainly not among the highlights (how about Hawkins's "Body and Soul"!?!)

I've listened through disc 2 and the John Kirby cuts are a revelation, the best so far (for me anyway). 

R-7501732-1445359865-1022.jpeg.jpg

I enjoy this set, but frankly, can understand that the first session in the set was not released at the time. Some of Tommy Turrentine's and Horace Parlan's playing on Comin' Your Way sounds a bit strange, harmonically, to my ears. 

Jubilee Shout is great (had the Blue Note twofer LP for a while and liked it back then); Another Story is nice but not overwhelming. Wanted to have that for Thad Jones. Looking forward to the rest.