Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

There was a scratch on disk 2 which wrecked one track and the box wasn't in the greatest condition. Amazon UK shipped a replacement set within the week, no problems at all with that one. Great service ! :tup

Does that mean you're not selling your JRVGs now Yves? :D

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a scratch on disk 2 which wrecked one track and the box wasn't in the greatest condition. Amazon UK shipped a replacement set within the week, no problems at all with that one. Great service ! :tup

Does that mean you're not selling your JRVGs now Yves? :D

:D They are still for sale but quite a few have now gone. I have always been reasonably happy with the JRVG sound but I really enjoy the King reissues I have replaced them with. My Nelson set is fine.

Just finished disc 3 of the Hampton - wow! That Chu Berry!!!!!!

I see there must be a good bit of duplication between this set and Chu's.

MG

Got my set at 10.30 am today !!! Managed to listen repeatedly to disc one only. I know a bit of this material already from Lps but here it sounds great. Not too much cross-over with the Chu set ...really.... didn't put me off...

Just finished disc 3 of the Hampton - wow! That Chu Berry!!!!!!

I see there must be a good bit of duplication between this set and Chu's.

MG

Got my set at 10.30 am today !!! Managed to listen repeatedly to disc one only. I know a bit of this material already from Lps but here it sounds great. Not too much cross-over with the Chu set ...really.... didn't put me off...

How much overlap is there with the Chu set?

Just listened to the 6th CD of the Oliver Nelson. To be precise those pieces

(M) JIMMY SMITH - PETER AND THE WOLF Jimmy Smith (org) with Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, Richard Williams, Snooky Young (tp), Quentin Jackson, Dick Hixon, Tom McIntosh, Britt Woodman (tb), Tony Studd (b-tb), Jimmy Buffington, Willie Ruff (Frh), Phil Woods, Jerry Dodgion, Bob Ashton, Jerome Richardson, Danny Bank, Stan Webb (reeds), Billy Butler, Barry Galbraith (g), Richard Davis (b), Grady Tate (d), Harry Brewer, Bobby Rosengarden (perc).

Englewood Cliffs, NJ May 11, 1966

100419-13 The Wolf

100420-4 The Duck

100421-1 The Bird

100422-11 The Grandfather

same as above Englewood Cliffs, NJ,

May 12, 1966

100426-30 Duck Theme/Jimmy And The Duck

100428 Elegy For A Duck

Gotta say i was groovin' so hard almost hard an heart attack. :excited:

238.jpg

The Lionel Hampton box arrived at lunchtime today. Damn good performance from DHL - it was only shipped on Thursday!

Oh boy! What a jumpin' set! And I'm not halfway through disc 1 yet!

MG

Listening to disc one of set #00038 right now.

Cor - mine's set 300! Looks like Mosaic had a big initial demand for this set. I assumed a LOT had gone out as freebies but you having no 38 means that there were a lot of real sales.

Unless they're stacked in random order in the warehouse, of course :)

MG

FIRST POST!

I ordered The Hampton set on November 28 and mine came yesterday, too. FYI, I have set #480.

I had picked up a few used RCA comps of this material before hearing about the Mosaic and I have to say that they did a wonderful job with the audio and presentation on these songs. The music itself is fantastic and timeless and it's hard to fathom that the first sessions in this set are 70 years old! It sounds great. I was also glad that the very few alt. takes were all placed at the end of the discs. There is a lot of music here for the price.

I would totally reccommend this set if anyone's on the fence, it's definitely worth the money and I forsee this set becoming a favorite of mine. I almost view it as the holy grail of small group swing and it really should be required listening for anyone interested in the genre.

The only con for me was a few of the tracks on disc 5 with vocals. I like Hamp's vocals but not the others so much (one exception is "I'd Be Lost Without You", great tune!).

Edited by Brute

FIRST POST!

The only con for me was a few of the tracks on disc 5 with vocals. I like Hamp's vocals but not the others so much (one exception is "I'd Be Lost Without You", great tune!).

And a welcome from me, too.

I'd agree with your assessment of the vocals. But I was running down the other night when I finished playing through the whole set, so another listen next month (going to concentrate on disc 1 for a while) might change my view of them.

MG