underrated trumpet players from the 60's, 70's...

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Rebecca Coupe Franks? A slightly off-the-beaten-path sound but excellent player. She has a new album out which is a tribute to Joe Henderson.

EDIT: Hell's bells, the disc is available through CDBaby. HERE are the details, and some samples...

rcfranks.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

If you're talking about underrated people, how can you not mention Freddie Webster, one of the greats who had an influence on Miles. I believe a while ago, ghost of miles started a thread about him.

Many of the people mentioned in this thread are not really unerrated (Kenny D, Buck) but Freddie truly is. For those interested in Freddie, check out this site, which ghost brought to our attention at that time.

Edited by Brad

Not only underrated but totally forgotten: Don Sleet.

He recorded an excellent album 'All Members' for Jazzland in 196O. And also appeared on the 'Eastern Lights' Riverside LP by Lenny McBrowne that came out in the 'A Cannonball Adderley Presentation' series plus a coup^le of other albums and seems to have been lost since.

Not only underrated but totally forgotten: Don Sleet.

He recorded an excellent album 'All Members' for Jazzland in 196O. And also appeared on the 'Eastern Lights' Riverside LP by Lenny McBrowne that came out in the 'A Cannonball Adderley Presentation' series plus a couple of other albums and seems to have been lost since.

That Lenny McBrowne band made another LP for Pacific Jazz that is just as rare. Sleet plays very well on all of them, but the whole band was fine.

Sleet looked as smart as Baker - maybe Baker did him in to avoid competition? ;)

Not only underrated but totally forgotten:  Don Sleet.

He recorded an excellent album 'All Members' for Jazzland in 196O. And also appeared on the 'Eastern Lights' Riverside LP by Lenny McBrowne that came out in the 'A Cannonball Adderley Presentation' series plus a coup^le of other albums and seems to have been lost since.

I'm impressed that I've never heard of this guy.

Another trumpet who labored mostly in obscurity was Webster Young. He must have had personal problems. I'd also like to put in a good word for Peanuts Holland, who moved to France after WWII but apparently recorded rarely. Holland had decent chops and a wealth of invention, although his tone was sub-par.

Edited by Brownian Motion

Not only underrated but totally forgotten:  Don Sleet.

I acquired [All Members] not too long ago, but had never heard of Don Sleet either before that. Nice album - Jimmy Heath too who is a favorite. And a top class rhythm section (Wytnon Kelly, Ron Carter and Jimmy Cobb) - got to be good.

Edited by tooter

Another early bop trumpet who was still playing well in the 1960s was Idrees Sulieman, who began his career as Leonard Graham.  His best recording, from the few I've heard, was a Coleman Hawkins date from 1957, featuring J.J. Johnson and a splendid rhythm section.

f77814sr04m.jpg

:tup:tup

:tup:tup indeed!

Check him on the beautiful "The Cats" with John Coltrane, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Burrell, Doug Watkins and Louis Hayes.

B00000JZYD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was one of the first discs I got when I developped a taste for Coltrane (which was at the same time that I got into jazz).

ubu

A pair of Tristano-influenced trumpeters (a rare breed) --Don Ferrara and Sweden's Jan Allan. Also a guy who's been around for a good while but is just now emerging -- Steve Lampert. He can be heard in striking form on a relatively recent (2002) Steeplechase album under Rich Perry's name, "Hearsay," though it's really Lampert's date it seems; he wrote most of the tunes. Muted throughout, Lampert (no youngster, b. 1953) sounds like he's improvising the sort of lines that George Russell would have written out in the late 1950s, except that the surface is more complicated than that. One hell of a linear thinker. There's also a new Lampert on Steeplechase that I haven't heard but a bit of; most of it's a suite, and there's some synth plus trumpet work from him that sounds like he's worked electronic Miles and even Hendrix into the mix.

Another early bop trumpet who was still playing well in the 1960s was Idrees Sulieman, who began his career as Leonard Graham. His best recording, from the few I've heard, was a Coleman Hawkins date from 1957, featuring J.J. Johnson and a splendid rhythm section.

Sulieman moved to Europe like Benny Bailey and Art Farmer, played in the Kenny Clarke / Francy Boland Big Band like these, and did some dates as a leader for SteepleChase that are worth checking out. He died not too long ago in his US hometown.