How Long Has Jazz Been In Your Ears?

Jazz Has Been The Focal Point of My Listening  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Inspired partially by the responses to Chuck's and Christiern's comments in the "What Have You Learned" thread, I'm curious how many of us have spent how much time as jazz fans. How many are newbies, veterans, and, uh, shall we say, old f*rts? :g

I date my jazz listening to December of 1987, so I'm just a tad shy of 20 years.

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went with 11-20 - I started listening around age 13, which must have been around 1992 (although I have no memory whatsoever that I once actually WAS 13 yrs old...)

ubu ;)

Flurin, you were the "baby in jazz" guy!

Man, at 13 I was a bit of a pop-sinister (Echo & the Bunnymen, the Cure, the Smiths, Joy Division, Siouxsie, Psychedelic Furs...) trying to leave that stuff apart, taking my time with 60´s and 70´s rock and hard-rock.... and starting with the blues, which leaded me to jazz...

Wish I had started with jazz before.

Went with 11-20 - I started listening around age 13, which must have been around 1992 (although I have no memory whatsoever that I once actually WAS 13 yrs old...)

ubu  ;)

Man, at 13 I was a bit of a pop-sinister (Echo & the Bunnymen, the Cure, the Smiths, Joy Division, Siouxsie, Psychedelic Furs...) trying to leave that stuff apart, taking my time with 60´s and 70´s rock and hard-rock.... and starting with the blues, which leaded me to jazz...

Away with you, young punks...

By the time I was 13, I was already into Charlie Parker. And he was still alive then!

ubu  ;)

Away with you, young punks...

By the time I was 13, I was already into Charlie Parker. And he was still alive then!

You know, old punk, if this music would have been around when I was thirteen - hell! I wish i was born around your time, brownie!

ubu :(

20+ here too. Must have been around 1966/67 when I was growing tired of listening to the Beatles and discovered some jazz 45's in the otherwise R&R-heavy collection of my elder brother .... But I really dug in around 1968 when I bought my first jazz LPs.

Shoot, add 10 years, and substitute more the more pop oriented Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Lene Lovich and Joe Jackson (but keep the Furs and Echo & the Bunnymen :tup ) and that was me. I finally hit jazz just over five and a half years ago (so I went with 6-10 to sound cooler...). So even though I'm 46, I'm much younger in jazz years.

Hard to pinpoint. There were jazzy things happeing in rock that attracted my interest from about 1971. I bought my first Jarretts in 1975.

But maybe 1976 should be the start where I consciously decided to investigate jazz more fully through Mike Westbrook, Stan Tracey, S.O.S. (Surman, Osborne, Skidmore), Ralph Towner and Miles Davis.

Coltrane rolled in the following year, Ellington the year after.

And then there was no going back.

I started at 16, so 12 years ago. 8 years of serious collecting (finances permitting). Started out buying a little Coltrane and a little Miles, and lots of CTI electric piano type dates. Now I have moved on to hard bop, and the jazz that preceded hard bop has started to sound different. I may focus on Mingus next, since I have been returning to Mingus Ah Um a lot lately. I feel I am always exploring, and most of what is established in jazz is new to me.