Tony Scott- Homage to Lord Krishna

wesbed

I found a single copy of this title at Borders's: Homage to Lord Krishna by Tony Scott.

While Border's has the one-and-only copy of this CD. While it's still available for purchase... is this a title worth owning? I've never heard of Tony Scott. I almost purchased the CD till I read that a sitar is used during the session. Reading these words reminded me of the sitar used by the Beatles, from the same time period. The Beatles' sitar turned my head away from the popular group quickly. The Beatles' use of the sitar placed my mind into a depressed state, forcing my finger to press the STOP or FORWARD buttons on my CD player as quickly as possible.

g25950pvu4v.jpg

Opinions? Comments? Worth an investment of $11.99?

Edited by wesbed

I had a 32JAZZ 2CD that I traded to someone here. Tony Scott, Bill Evans, Elvin Jones. Can't remember the bassist. The music was good, but the sound was really bad. It was a live recording of Tony early on.

I definitely dig Tony's playing, but I don't know if what Jim says is exageration or not. Usually it is, but... ;)

He's a phenomenal jazz clarinetist, and the Music for Zen Meditation album is nice, though I wouldn't classify it as jazz. This disc probably isn't either, but I've never heard it. I'd be interested, but I like Indian stringed instruments!

I have it and like it a lot. There's more jazz on this one than on "Zen Meditation" and "Yoga Meditation." I think the sitar and oud work very well on this album. Check out some song samples online before buying if you're wary of these instruments.

The bassist on the 32 Jazz set [originally on Muse] is a kid from Philly named Jimmy Garrison. Heard that he eventually did some more in jazz. BTW, the drummer isn't Elvin, it's Pete LaRoca.

That set is OK, but at 1959 is definitely not "early" Scott. TS on records goes back to the mid 1940s and right from the start he played with EVERYONE. He was an inveterate jammer. Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, you name them. It's a shame that the mid-late-1960s "meditation" records are the only ones that seem to have remained available because it doesn't give an accurate picture of the huge variety of things that he's done (and continues to do).

A year ago I had the pleasure of spending every evening for a week listening to Tony play at Iridium with Buddy DeFranco and guests. He was outer than Perry Robinson - which is saying a helluva lot. His sound is huge. He celebrated his 80th birthday on the first evening.

Back to the subject - I have the Verve LP and enjoy it. I could think of TS records I'd rather see reissued [for example, the early 1950s quartets], but I will pick up the CD when I get the chance.

Mike

Sorry for the bad info wesbed. I guess I could have checked AMG. As Michael mentioned, the bassist was Jimmy Garrison. Its funny. Elvin & Pete LaRoca from that era, I get mixed up. I think it has something to do with the Sonny Rollins Vanguard recordings.

I say "early on" for the same reason that Jim posts those photographs. Quite a contrast over time.

Anyway, I hope wesbed got a round-about answer to his question.

And wesbed, if the whole "Meditation" series doesn't do it for you, try these

clarinet_album_big.jpg

997462.jpg

and take it from there.

Also, that AFRICAN BIRD:COME BACK MOTHER AFRICA side is one BEAUTIFUL piece of music, anf that's no exaggeration! ;)

Edited by JSngry

I decided to go ahead and purchase the Tony Scott title. There is a song on the CD entitled Homage To Lord Krishna. Somehow, I got the song title confused with the album title. The album title is, simply, Tony Scott.

Sometimes, I make purchases that I 'know' will be good and they turn out to be only so-so. Sometimes, I make 'chance' purchases to see what I get. The Tony Scott CD was one of my 'chance' purchases that has left me very happily surprised.

I've never heard of Tony Scott. Yet, Mr. Scott is one of the most innovative and stylistic clarinetists I've ever heard. I'm familiar with the clarinet being played mostly in the New Orleans or Hot Jazz style. Art Pepper played the clarinet on Plus Eleven. Jimmy Giuffre has played the clarinet here and there. From my listening experience, the clarinet has been, mostly, forgotten. Tony Scott brings the clarinet back to the world. His style is nothing like the clarinet of old. His sound is modern and very inventive. Tony Scott is one of the better reissues I've heard in recent weeks. I was concerned about the use of a sitar, yet the sitar works well on this title too.

Edited by wesbed

I also have 1 of the 2 - the one with Monica singing. So if that's the one you don't have, I do recommend it. It also has a "psycho" version that Tony speaks - very interesting.

BTW, the recent Verve CD was issued at least some places under the Homage title. See here:

http://www.tonyscott.it/homage_to_lord_krishna.htm

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

IMHO, just about anything with Tony Scott on it is worth owning. Even a pseudo-New Age record such as MEDITATION (a collaboration with Jan Akkermann... no, there is no re-make of "Hocus Pocus" on this record...)

Some other Scott recommendations:

c5224608g71.jpg

d613119vffh.jpg (billed as Anthony Sciacca)

e85262uf0fd.jpg

c4815887no6.jpg (final 3 tracks only, but...)

B00002812T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A year ago I had the pleasure of spending every evening for a week listening to Tony play at Iridium with Buddy DeFranco and guests. He was outer than Perry Robinson - which is saying a helluva lot. His sound is huge. He celebrated his 80th birthday on the first evening.

I caught one of these (Don Byron was the guest) and it was fantastic...

I've been collecting Tony Scott for a while now. . . as Jim says a very personal journey through a musical life and the music is stunning along the way.

I have four Philology releases by Scott as a leader that I truly love. The Billie Holdiay ones are just some of the best music ever.

Also have a Brunswick 10" that is a BURNER!

I also just bought the Tony Scott, expecting great things & having expectations met! Scott is excellent - a nice blend of jazz/non-jazz, the old AND the new, the east and the west. For me, he is, like Coleman Hawkins, a musician who bridges the gap between the musical past and present. I understand he also studied composition under Stefan Wolpe, his memoirs of Wolpe published in a new book by Austin Clarkson...could account, in part, for his wonderfully fresh contemporary approach to filling the musical canvas ("Funny Valentine", for example)...

I understand he also studied composition under Stefan Wolpe, his memoirs of Wolpe published in a new book by Austin Clarkson...could account, in part, for his wonderfully fresh contemporary approach to filling the musical canvas ("Funny Valentine", for example)...

Interesting. Morton Feldman studied with Wolpe too.

Several composers, both jazz and non-jazz, have studied with Wolpe...Notably, Charles Wuorinen, Ralph Shapey, John Cage, Herbert Brun, Johnny Carissi, George Russell (?), rumor has it Bird &/or Dolphy also sought guidance...Al Cohn & Robert Nagel were the horns on an early recording of Wolpe's "Quartet"...

g25950pvu4v.jpg

I bought this yesterday, gave it a spin on the way home, purty kewl.

So I want to settle down and do some reading and twice I tried to play it on my computer. It crashed both times with error messages I've never seen before. Is this disc copy protected?

:rmad:

it must be your kempooter that is off methinks. weird problem, errors even you never seen before? I'm curious, what could those be...

Ah have some problems with the DVD-RW drive, but I've never seen a non-win message in full screen ascii reight before the machine reboots. forkin odd.

BTW: using win xp.

And this is a real cool disc.