jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from the Beat Club movie. It was a lot of fun. They used what looked like the original video feed, not the final TV show, so you saw between-song patter, false starts, and Playing In The Band was even redone (so we saw it twice). It was really valuable for the in-depth view we got of the band working: how Garcia directed the band at key moments, how Billy Kreutzmann might be the hardest working man in show business, the almost telepathic communication between band members. Pigpen looked good; the sound was great.

Just got back from the Beat Club movie. It was a lot of fun. They used what looked like the original video feed, not the final TV show, so you saw between-song patter, false starts, and Playing In The Band was even redone (so we saw it twice). It was really valuable for the in-depth view we got of the band working: how Garcia directed the band at key moments, how Billy Kreutzmann might be the hardest working man in show business, the almost telepathic communication between band members. Pigpen looked good; the sound was great.

Awesome! i know it's not "planned" but i'm hoping for a blu-ray or (ugh) DVD release.

Next Dave's Picks will be a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

on the way: Copenhagen 1981, volumes 1, 2 & 3, there apparently is also a vol 4 out there w/ the very tail end of show/encore. it was $200, but i really wanted it-- doubt ill ever have another chance to come across this, let alone as a set- once in a lifetime opportunity, so i had to take it

in other news, this morning i spotted this downtown!!!! (pic 2)

post-3075-0-61911700-1406433900_thumb.jp

post-3075-0-83714300-1406434223_thumb.jp

Edited by chewy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now watching/listening to View From The Vault II (6/14/91, Washington, DC). The Help On The Way/Slipknot/Franklin's Tower was so enjoyable. I'm really liking this Hornsby/Welnick version of the band; they seem like a real band, very cohesive.

I'm now watching/listening to View From The Vault II (6/14/91, Washington, DC). The Help On The Way/Slipknot/Franklin's Tower was so enjoyable. I'm really liking this Hornsby/Welnick version of the band; they seem like a real band, very cohesive.

I was there-man was it crowded! No more stadium shows for moi.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You fellows may enjoy this in-depth analysis of the GD's original Dark Star, free for thee)

http://youtu.be/rs_4TQLycQI

Dave Frank

Very much enjoyed this. As a non-musician I was fascinated but often confused. After watching and listening to the whole thing, I was prompted to go watch and listen to numerous clips and performance of probably my favorite sort of improvisation (which was a large part of what you discussed), early European Free Improvisation.

To my ears much of it is not based on much of what you spoke so eloquently about. No pulse, no scales, etc.

So improvisation is not limited really in any way nor does it have rules of guidelines in many cases.

Again, thanks for posting this

Absolutely right. Improvisation is an oceanic art form that takes many forms. In this class I was focusing on the Dead's Dark Star improv genre. Thanks for writing. You may enjoy a visit to my master class archive at www.davefrankjazz.com, there are presently 27 free in-depth classes on a larger variety of subjects..

Keep Swingin'

Dave Frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

STINSON BEACH, Calif.—Time has always been elastic for Grateful Dead fans in thrall to tunes that last more than 45 minutes and shows that go on for hours.

So when the group announced it would mark its 50th anniversary in the summer of 2015 with three final performances, Deadheads took the old-school route, flooding the band’s ticket service here with handcrafted requests rather than clicking online.

Since the shows were announced a month ago more than 60,000 envelopes—many painstakingly adorned with the Dead’s typical psychedelic skulls and skeletons—have poured into a post office box in this picturesque Marin County spot a half-hour from the Golden Gate Bridge. The post office usually receives 7,000 letters a week. “It was a big shock to us,” Jim Harvey, the Stinson Beach postmaster, said of the vivid No. 10 envelopes festooned with Magic Marker sketches and fanciful lettering. “It indicated that the Grateful Dead culture is alive and well.”

More here:

WSJ

• 2 weeks later...