New Benny Golson Disc - Terminal 1

desertblues

Picked up "Terminal 1" yesterday (on Concord): Benny Golson leads a quintet with Eddie Henderson-tp/fl, Mike Ledonne-p, Buster Williams-b & Carl Allen-d. I have not seen the movie, but Golson is in it & this disc has the title tune (?) and "Killer Joe" which he apparently plays in it. At age 75 Benny's playing is a bit more laid back than it was back in the day, but he sounds good and I am enjoying this one more than most of the recent releases I've heard. Eddie Henderson (mostly muted and in his Miles bag) almost steals the show-I have not heard him sound better! For me the highlight is a 10-minute version of "In Your Own Sweet Way", but there are no duds on this one, IMHO (also a great version of "Cherry"). My kind of bop (and I can't wait for the Jazztet Mosaic)! :tup

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked it up today. One of the top two or three "new releases" this year (IMHO).

Benny's in a sweet and mellow mood playing a combination of old standards ("Blues March" and "Killer Joe") along with his more recent material.

Grab it! I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk and promotion about this set.

Good stuff, this is. Golson, like James Moody, remains an extremely fluent saxophonist who has kept his ears (and mind) open and has continued to grow harmonically. He still plays "like" he did back in the day, even if he plays very little of what he played back then.

My copy finally showed up (won on eBay an eon ago). I like it, especially the title track and Killer Joe. It's a strong opening to the CD. Golson has penned many of the songs, but as mentioned above there are good versions of In Your Own Sweet Way and a few other standards. I found the liner notes interesting too.

I'm wondering if there are many other albums inspired by airports. I can think of Sinatra's Come Fly With Me and the much more recent Vijay Iyer's In What Language (very interesting but not exactly jazz). Any others come to mind?

• 2 months later...

Eddie Henderson kills on this. He is too often mentioned under one's breath. He is not only a fantastic trumpet player but he did things the right way. He made a living as a doctor and got out clean to become a jazz musician.

His own releases of late are nothing to speak of but put him on someone else's record whether its a blowing date or a concept record and he'll put out.