Lee Morgan/Hank Mobley tribute

Trumpeter Michael Thomas and his group will pay tribute to Lee and Hank tomorrow, 7/10, from 2-5 PM at HR 57.

Based on past experience, the cover should be minimal.

HR-57

1610 Fourteenth Street NW

Wash, DC 20009

(202) 667-3700

www.jazhead.com

www.hr57.org

I'll try to be there.

Bertrand.

Trumpeter Michael Thomas and his group will pay tribute to Lee and Hank tomorrow, 7/10, from 2-5 PM at HR 57.

Based on past experience, the cover should be minimal.

HR-57

1610 Fourteenth Street NW

Wash, DC 20009

(202) 667-3700

www.jazhead.com

www.hr57.org

I'll try to be there.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, I heard an announcement of this on WPFW, but I do not know Michael Thomas or his group. Are they good? You have to have some chops to perform a tribute to Lee and Hank. Does this group qualify?

Oh yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEE MORGAN (July 10, 1938) :party::party::party::wub::wub::wub::wub:

And slightly belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANK MOBLEY (July 7, 1930). :party::party::party::party::wub::wub::wub:

Michael Thomas has at least one CD out, The Awakening (probably available at the website Bertrand gave, but definitely available from Cadence) which is very solid hard bop.

Judging from the CD, I wouldn't hestitate to attend if I were anywhere nearby instead of in south Florida.

Michael Thomas has at least one CD out, The Awakening (probably available at the website Bertrand gave, but definitely available from Cadence) which is very solid hard bop.

Judging from the CD, I wouldn't hestitate to attend if I were anywhere nearby instead of in south Florida.

Thanks Dan. I am going to try to go.

Michael Thomas' group features excellent players but the material gets stale after a few tunes. However the bassist keeps great time and is an impressive soloist for a bassist and once in a while the piano player will give you the shivers but this is standard hard bop fare. Don't go expecting to hear something new cuz that's not what these guys are about. Although its nice to go hear jazz for once that is tunes that you know.

Thomas is a kind person and his chops are slightly better than average for a professional jazz musician. Nothing special.

I will be there barring unforeseen circumstances. You won't be able to miss me either, as I will most likely have my 4-year old son with me (HR 57 is very laid back). I like to take him to early gigs where people haven't paid too much cover. He is an extremely hip jazz fan - Woody Shaw is his favorite artist.

The closest subway is U-Street/Cardozo.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Had a great time today. Meeting bertrand and Leeway was the kicker but the band was great as well. Having not heard any of their records, I was very surprisingly impressed. Drums were hit and miss but whoever was on tenor was consistently engaging as a soloist and their bassist was like a damned metronome; only a funky one. Back to the tenor though, he was seriously great. I'll likely see them again, especially since, after talking with Michael, it is not uncommon for them to play "Back to the Tracks". B)

Edited by Brandon Burke

Brandon and Lee-way,

It was great meeting you guys as well. I will definitely keep posting about other interesting shows in the D.C. area. This was a great way to spend the afternoon, as you said. I hope they do more of these. I felt kind of bad after the fact, because I think in hindsight I did not give enough donation at the door. I based it on what they usually would charge for the week-end jam session.

Michael told me he really appreciated you guys coming around.

If I understand Chuck's comment, I like attending both types of concerts - new music by up and coming or established artists, and retrospectives such as this, as long as the artists make an effort to dig deep into the catalog, as Michael does.

The band is:

Michael Thomas: tpt

Zack Graddy: ts

Darius Scott: p

Kent Miller: b

Frank Williams: d

Whit Williams: bars (second set only)

The compositions were:

Tom Cat (Morgan)

This I Dig Of You (Mobley)

Carolyn (Morgan)

Exotique (Morgan)

Ceora (Morgan)

My Groove, Your Move (Mobley)

Hocus Pocus (Morgan)

A Peck A Sec (Mobley)

Speedball (Morgan)

No Sidewinder!

Bertrand.

Bertrand,

I can see you applied some of your daytime professional skills to the event, as you were sharp enough to keep the set list! Matt was a gas- a real little jazz trooper.

The band gets big kudos for playing with such verve and commitment in front of what was a pretty small (albeit enthusiastic) crowd.

BTW, I can't find anything (on AMG at least) on Wit Williams, the bari sax player who sat in. I enjoyed his playing.

Whit has never recorded to my knowledge, which is a shame. He also plays tenor and alto! He leads a big band which I have only gotten to see once. He's also a *really* nice guy.

His son Tommy is a monster trumper player. He has two albums on Criss Cross.

I hope Matthew wasn't too disruptive. He was attentively listening in the second set WHEN THE LITTLE GIRL STEPPED AWAY. But when she came back...

He told me after: "I liked the jazz, but I liked the girl better!".

Only twelve years until I hear: 'dad can I borrow the car keys?'.

Bertrand.

Matthew is a gem and very lucky to have a father like you. I was very pleased to meet him as well. I'm sure the band apprciates it too. Get 'em hooked while they're young, right. ;)

As for Tommy Williams, did you say that he plays in an avant-garde group? That would be something I'd definately like to see.

Lastly, here's that Joe Maneri I was telling you about. The title track was used as the opening them music in Amercian Splendor last year. At that point in time I had never heard this music and I spent the rest of my time in the theatre saying to myself, "Don't forget to look for that song in the credits...don't forget to look for that song in the credits...don't forget to..."

e27239ucl02.jpg

And here's the AMG review. I'm telling you, man. I was obsessed with this record for weeks. "Paniots Nine" is still an all-time favorite track of mine. The head is in 9/8 and sounds straight out of the Tristano School. The rhythm section and Maneri's subsequent solo, however, sound like Antibes-era Mingus. Tough stuff...

Edited by Brandon Burke

Tom Williams is an amazing bebop/post-bop trumpeter who either got second in Thelonious Monk or won it outright the first year they did it for trumpets in the early nineties.

Some of his performances are archived online on the Kennedy Center's website for its free venue, the Millenium Stage, which hosts live concerts every night of the week in its Grand Foyer at 6pm. They have jazz once every week or every other week though much of the other music is equally interesting and engaging.

I will try to find some direct links to Tom performing live at the Millenium Stage. Also notable was that Bobby McFerrin put on an AMAZING show this spring live for free on the Millenium Stage in honor of the stage's 10 year anniversary. I will try to find the link for that too. All of these require real player and are approximately one hour long.

sorry I didn't get to network with the DC cats this weekend as I was busy writing and caddying for "bread."

I bet they killed on those tunes. That is standard Michael Thomas bop fare.

Zach Grady is a mean soloist who I am lobbying on behalf of for a record contract with a European label (though he doesn't know it yet). I think there could be a comparison drawn between Grady and James Carter's style.

Matt

Damn. I should have gone to this too. Right in my neighborhood, two blocks from my apt. That'll teach me not to check the Live Shows thread. maybe I'll catch you guys next time.

Didn't realize you were right in the neighborhood!

Looking forward to meeting you.