New CTI reissues

Kari S

I posted this on "that other board" but I thought I'd post it here as well, since some of these seem quite interesting.

- Freddie Hubbard & Stanley Turrentine: In Concert, Vol. 1

- Freddie Hubbard & Stanley Turrentine: In Concert, Vol. 2

- Hubert Laws: San Francisco Concert

- Hubert Laws: At Carnegie Hall 1973

- Hubert Laws: Afro-Classic

- Ron Carter: Yellow & Green

- Airto Moreira: Fingers

- Freddie Hubbard: Sky Dive

- Freddie Hubbard: First Light

- CTI All-Stars: CTI At The Hollywood Bowl 1-3

- Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker: Carnegie Hall Concert 1 / 2

There are a few others as well, I think George Benson's "Body Talk" is one. Most of these are released in late April, but Dusty Groove already has at least Laws' "Carnegie Hall" and "Afro-Classic" and the CTI All-Stars disc.

For me, the two (mainly the first) Hubbard/Turrentine things (Stanley almost sounds "out" in spots!) and FINGERS are the "essentials" of the bunch, although AFRO-CLASSIC is a really well-done date with some interesting writing and some great flauting by Laws. I'm just not that much into Laws as anything other than an "appreciative" experience.

But hey - FINGERS is BADASS! (and jazzbo, it sounds SOOOO much better on CD than on a wornout LP!) ;)

I bought AFRO CLASSIC on vinyl back when I was in college and I really enjoyed it. I picked it up from Dusty on this re-issue and sad to say it really sounds outdated to me and very gimmicky and boring. I know its an old release but I've listened to recordings which are much older and which still sound fresh and innovative, regardless of their vintage..

For me, the two (mainly the first) Hubbard/Turrentine things (Stanley almost sounds "out" in spots!) and FINGERS are the "essentials" of the bunch ... I'm just not that much into Laws as anything other than an "appreciative" experience.

I totally agree, Jim. I just recently got the 'In Concert, Vol 1' on vinyl and there's some special moments there, that's for sure! I also share your point of view about Laws - I never quite subscribed to the whole "afro-classic" direction he pursued on his 70's albums.

I haven't heard 'Fingers', though. AMG gives it a cool 4 1/2 stars. What's it like? It includes at least his hit, "Tombo in 7/4"... :D

the CTI All Stars disc really sounds nice, very close to the original LP sound. Like I posted in another thread, there

*are* overdubs, but there truly is some great stuff like George Benson taking a cheesy tune like "California Dreaming" and turning it into a vehicle for burning, some of his best CTI playing is on that album, IMO. Johnny Hammond, Grover and George make "Rocksteady" a wild, greasy romp. If you liked the bonus "It's Too Late" on Johnny's "Breakout", you'll enjoy this. Esther Phillips does some great vocals at the end of the album, the last three tunes have a church service kinda feel. the Hubbard/Turrentine In Concert I used to have on the old Sony crap sounding disc but I'll look forward to getting the Japanese copies next month. I seem to remember Freddie taking a really out unaccompanied solo on "Gibraltar", sometimes being joined by Jack DeJohnette's sprawling, free playing. Am I remembering right?

I think "Fingers" is a nice record too. The whole band has a light, flexible Brazilian-type groove - which is what the record is about. The Airto CTI record I got first was "Virgin Land" which has Stanley Clarke/Alex Blake on bass and George Duke/Milcho Leviev on keyboards replacing the Brazilians from a year earlier. The result is heavier - but it still works. Although it doesn't have that "second-nature, band that plays together" feel of "Fingers", it does have a bunch of engaging Jazz-Rock tunes including "Stanley's Tune" with Clarke's monster bass playing. I absolutely love that cut, and really like the album as a whole.

Don't know "Free", the CTI record Jim was referring to.

Simon Weil

Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker: Carnegie Hall Concert was reissued a first time on CD in 1987 and then remastered for the limited edition Sony Mastersound Gold CD in 1995 (now OOP).

Does anyone know if there is a domestic release available with good sound? Many Mastersound titles have been reissued as regular midprice CDs (Kind of blue, Time out, etc), but apparently not this one.

Free is definitely worth pursuing; has been out on cd (maybe now out of print?) in the domestic CTI reissue series, maybe among the first batches. Kindof noodly bigger ensembles with guest stars that you'll like who do good work. . . really worth hearing in my opinion. I've only heard Free and Fingers of Airto's CTIs, and they're both very different.

Don't know Lucky Southern, but Lon's description makes me think I should get "Free". "Virgin Land" was one of those records that meant a lot to me when I was coming into Jazz and I'd like to have the stuff around it, as it were. Looks like it *is* oop, so I'll have a go at Gemm.com...

Thanks,

Simon Weil

These are all Japanese imports?  Where are you guys scoring them?  Who's your connection?  I need a CTI fix, dammit!  That Mulligan/Baker looks good...

I second that.These releases look really good. Where else can you get them besides Dusty Groove.

Edited by chris olivarez