I love piano trios!

Jazzdude

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned Frank Kimbrough much earlier, but I wanted to put in a more notable plug...

Kimbrough's work as pianist with the Herbie Nichols Project and as a sideman on various recordings by Jazz Composers Collective artists has been very impressive. I've also very much admired his trio albums - particularly:

d166278e837.jpg

Chant (Igmod, 1998), with Ben Allison (b) and Jeff Ballard (d)

g06309evw40.jpg

Quickening (OmniTone, 2003), with Ben Allison (b) and Jeff Ballard (d)

g31745zhy8t.jpg

Lullabluebye (Palmetto, 2004), with Ben Allison (b) and Matt Wilson (d)

Inventive and carefully constructed originals on all of these. Kimbrough is a terrific post-bop pianist, Ben Allison a fantastic player, and Ballard and Wilson bring different tones to the gigs. Highly recommended!

Edited by gdogus

I read somewhere about an Argentinian pianist who combines jazz and tango. His last names starts with an "I". Anyone ever hear of him?

Adrián Iaes is a superb pianist, IMHO. His mix of Argentinean music and jazz is really interesting. Saw him live last year in Madrid and was greatly impressed.... well you have to like bandoneón... ;)

I have and enjoy "Las tardecitas de Minton´s" (Acqua Records, 1999) and "Tango reflections" (Ensayo, 2000).

But haven´t heard "Nostalgias y otros vicios" (1998), "Round midnight y otros tangos" (2002) or "Las cosas tienen movimiento" (2003)

And as quite a few relatively unknown pianists have been mentioned in this thread...

...check Albert Sanz, a young (well, not so young anymore :D ) Spanish pianist.

From his few recordings as a leader I dig "Des d´aqui" (Satchmo Records), co-leaded with bassist David Mengual.

Two I haven´t heard yet are "An introduction to Kalifactors" (Fresh Sound) and "Los Guys" (Fresh Sound), to my knowledge his last recording. AMG Review

Edited by EKE BBB

The only piano trios I can think of are Albert Ammons/Meade Lux Lewis/Pete Johnson and Willie the Lion/Joe Bushkin/Jess Stacy .

Looks like the rest of you are talking about piano and rhythm. B)

And doesn´t Tatum play with a piano trio on that early "Tiger rag"? ...Or was it a piano duo? :g

well, i could say that i've listen recently Y.Korossy playing some tunes, and for few moments i've had the feeling that i am listening a classical concerto pianist. which by the way ,it happened to me only when i was listening Oscar Peterson. And then ,later on when he start to develop , to improvise in a way difficult to explain in words , i said WOW :excited: it gives you the feeling that he is definetely one of the best jazz pianist ever heard. Of course , you may say what it mean "the best" , it's a kind of relative thing. Well, yes and no.Music is always relative , still when someone is born with a very special talent of improvising , by the way, you know it's much easy now to go to school to learn (even a little) how to play jazz, how to improvize, how to develop chord changes , buy special books ....etc.etc . but Korossy made it by his own , and his improvizations are really briliant , NEVER the same, each time so,so different . I could say the he has also the kind of "natural born skills" like sense of rhytm and harmony so, so ..well, plus he can play jazz piano-solo like no many pianists can do. You know probably better than me , that is always easier to play in a group than solo. I mean if you want to play a recital interesting and not to be boring and to keep "playing" the same phrases ....all over. When you are on your own ,you have to be not only the soloist , but also the rythmic section. anyway , i just hope people will have the chance to hear Korossy again and of course comment about that.

Thanks EKE BBB!!

That's the guy. I will try and track down the CDs you mentioned by visiting the website of the record companies mentioned. Thanks a lot. I have a friend in a different city who also loves trios and who in fact recently turned me on to the Spanish pianist Chano Dominquez. I know he would love to check out Iases, too. Thanks again.

Edited by Jazzdude