Last Comic Standing

Anyone else watching this show? There are definite similarities between this and Idol, but I think the overall talent level is much higher, and the entertainment factor is much greater. Some real talent among the contenders, and at least there's greater variation in approach to the craft, as opposed to the melisma infected "singing" on Idol.

I didn't watch the whole season, but I have to say that Alonzo Bodden is a terrific talent and should definitely win the vote.

I also had a soft spot for the cro-magnon dude, Jay London.

And the Sicilian girl was easy on the eyes. Not sure if she was funny or not, I just noticed she was easy on the eyes. :g

Yes Alanzo for certain!

I've only watched a handful and missed the last one and aces for the gal from Cleveland!! easy po easy for sure... she'll be getting a gig on prime time via all this I betcha! She's just gotta give up the tired Italian / Mafia schtick and she's there!

Other funniest is that sort of droll guy who's name I can't remember and the least funny is the tall guy from Boston who always starts out with how tall he is, and sheesh he ain't even that tall?!

One of my favorites jokes so far was from that 'cro-magnon' Steven Wright: "I had alphabet soup last nite and this morning I had a vowel movent." a keeper!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Well I think this and Idol are apples and oranges, and maybe the talent level overall is higher here, but a lot of these folks are not very young amateurs either!

Jay London was my favorite, and yes Tammy Pescatelli (sp?) was easy on the eyes, Alonzo is a very good writer, and I guess I want him to win this time, though Gary Gullman WAS funny this final episode, I don't really like him personally but he WAS funny this time.

I thought Cory Holman (sp?) was also an entertaining talent.

Edited by jazzbo

Great show. I liked almost all of the talent presented - and YES ! Tammy Pescatelli was very appealing to the eyes.

A theory: I think the deal made beforehand was that all of the ten finalists would be kept before the camera as much as possible - that win or lose, you would get as much exposure as possible.

When all is said and done I think Alonzo Bodden has provided the most laughs for me.

I'm predicting Alonzo Bodden will win... but one never knows. Tammy Pescatelli was attractive, but that's about all she has going for her when it comes to the comedy circuit.

I thought Todd (?) Glass should have lasted longer just because he at least didn't feign cynicism all the time...

I don't know many of the names and I missed several of the recent shows. I gather Gary Gulman won? I thought that although he gives off an air of being a over-confident pompous a-hole, his routines are honestly funny.

He talks about stuff we can all relate to (i.e. mothers gasping as their children drive with them in the car). I thought the squirrelly looking guy was funny. Was he Jay? I think all of us off-beat jazz folk have a soft spot for a guy who looks like that. It's funny but that's what a lot of jazz fans and writers dress.

He ruined his chances by being so self-depracating. It would have been appropriate were he not competing for the prize nor going up against challengers who really were genuinely trying to win over the audience. I dug his joke "It was a year ago yesterday....."

I was ROTFLMAO (rolling on the floor laughing my ass off).

Matt

Last year I really liked Dave Mordal.

dave_mordal_full.jpg

He was funny on and off the stage.

I hope that something allows Jay London more exposure, hopefully on TV so I can see him. I really enjoyed his participation.

jay_133x141.jpg"You might recognize me, I'm the fourth guy from the left on the evolutionary chart."

My favorite Steven Wright line/joke is: "I'm a peripheral visionary. I can see into the future, but way off to the side. . . . "

Edited by jazzbo

Lon, its Steven Wright.

And the winner is .... John Heffron. :rmad::tdown

I for one was definitely disappointed. I thought Alonzo's wit was far superior. I noticed one of the non-finalists say something about Heffron's "energy level" but frankly I don't need comics running around the stage, doing judo chops and making noises into the mic. Give me a guy who just straight out tells funny jokes.

But I do think this was a big step forward for him and we'll definitely see more of him.

Well, I think it's apples and oranges between those two guys, they're both funny in different ways, have different appeals. John I think improved appearance by appearance; Alonzo was consistently good. I liked them both and would have been happy if Alonzo had won, I'm happy John won. I'm glad Gary DIDN'T win, he was funniest at the final presentation but overall I liked him less.

Thanks for the correction. . . I know the difference between those two Steves but my mind went on vacation breifly! I've made an edit.

Edited by jazzbo

Lon, its Steven Wright.

(now edited) but Wright or Reich...? Both funny... you ever try listening to one of his albums! :g

Man I been way behind on this show! Luckily we accidentally turned on the tube during our little bit of August-don't-turn-on-the-TV-month (glad that little indescresion is over).

Happy that Heffron one. Maybe he'll start posting jokes here in UPPER CASE!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I for one think the whole NEW Last Comic Standing premise sucks-- I'd much rather see a batch of new folks than all the same old people we've already seen so much. I think hearing Ant's bits one more time will drive me over the edge!

PS Bodden was ROBBED

PPS Steven Wright rules. One of my favorites: "Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish."

or

"I was in the first submarine. Instead of a periscope, they had a kaleidoscope. "We're surrounded."

There should be a Steven Wright corner...

I liked Alonzo best because he was very funny but he also had class, something missing from most standup today.

Favorite Steven Wright: I took my dog on a walk from Boston to North Carolina and back. When we got back home I told him, "There, you're all done."

Or something like that.

He did another one about dogs and Spot remover that was pretty funny. I'm terrible at remembering jokes. I remember punch lines but I can't remember the whole joke.

• 2 months later...