Detroit's Musical Sons/Daughters

If one were to do a radio show on the legacy of Detroit in the history of jazz, what recordings would be essential? Who represents the Detroit sound, if there is one?

I figure some stuff from all the Jones brothers. Something from Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Joe Henderson.

Who else? And what recordings? Also what were the clubs and venues besides the heralded Graystone Ballroom and the now defunct Baker's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Any personal stories? Is there anyone on the site that is from Detroit. I know the guys who run this board must have some great stories to tell....

Matt

JamesJazz (aka Jim Gallert) has registered here, but posted only once--he's involved with one of the websites that Mike posted, and is co-author of BEFORE MOTOWN, a book that you really should check out if you want to delve into Detroit jazz:

BeforeMotown

Thanks. Any personal stories? Is there anyone on the site that is from Detroit. I know the guys who run this board must have some great stories to tell....

Matt

JamesJazz (aka Jim Gallert) has registered here, but posted only once--he's involved with one of the websites that Mike posted, and is co-author of BEFORE MOTOWN, a book that you really should check out if you want to delve into Detroit jazz:

BeforeMotown

I'd just come back to this thread to mention the book. Beaten to the punch.

Second the recommend.

This is going to be a long process because I want the production to be really good and I want to pick good music. I guess I should read the Before Motown book you guys are plugging. I am about to go back to school in two weeks. So I'll look for the book in the libraries there. Is it a readily available book in academic libraries?

I don't really have much money right now for purchases of any kind besides essentials like paying my rent. Otherwise I would go out and support fellow jazz writers.

Matt

P.S. Just wondering if I am the only college student who is a regular poster to this bboard. It would really be great to get the other young people involved because a lot of you older guys know so much about the music. I am sure all the jazz students out there (at Berklee and North Texas and New School and Manhattan and NEC etc. etc.) could benefit a heck of a lot from all the information exchange that goes on here. I always know I'll come up with answers to my jazz queries on this board. VIVA Organissimo!

small additions...

Kirk Lightsey p

Roy Brooks d

Geri Allen p

Regina Carter violin

Yusef Lateef s

Bess Bonier p

Kenny Cox p

Marcus Belgrave tr

There was a guy from my hometown in Windsor, Hugh Leal, who did live and studio recordings in Windsor and Detroit with several key Detroiter's who were getting on in years and were under-recorded. It was called Parkwood Records. I have a few with Johnny O'Neal (p), Earl van Riper (p), Marcus Belgrave, JC Heard (d) and Sammy Price. I saw all these live at the taping.

The Barry Harris Xanadu recordings are my favorites of his, but hard to find. I have a duo recording of Flannagan and Jones that is astounding on MPS I believe. The Griot Galaxy (Faruq Z. Bey, Jaribu Shahid, Tani Tabbal - the last 2 play w/ James Carter) would be good too - "Opus Krampus" is a good indication of post- Sun Ra composition and performing.