Blue Note in the 80s & early 90s

montg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Henderson - The state of the tenor :wub:

I'm not sure if this one is OOP, hopefully not. It's a great live recording from 1985. Alfred Lion loved this one too, rated it as one of the best BN recordings ever made!

Absolutely! This is great, great stuff. I have suspected that this one may receive the double RVG treatment. BN seems to like to include a double set with each announcement. This would be a good one to bring back if it is OOP.

Joe Henderson - The state of the tenor :wub:

I'm not sure if this one is OOP, hopefully not. It's a great live recording from 1985. Alfred Lion loved this one too, rated it as one of the best BN recordings ever made!

Absolutely! This is great, great stuff. I have suspected that this one may receive the double RVG treatment. BN seems to like to include a double set with each announcement. This would be a good one to bring back if it is OOP.

It is interesting to read through this thread. Watching it all come out contemporaneously, I have to admit I was somehwat underwhelmed ... wishing for the classic BN years to re-appear. But ... with 20/20 hindsight, there is a lot of great stuff from this era. Makes me wonder ... how did BN fans feel during the 60s when they started to stray from the hard bop standard ... were they similarly underwhelmed? Me thinks I may have learned something ... :rolleyes:

The Junko album with Jackie McLean ('Hat Trick') is definitely worth a listen.

Yes indeed! This is a very fine one! I think it's one of the Somethin' Else discs, right?

ubu

Affirmative ! :rhappy:

I've got several vinyl items on the 'Somethin' Else' imprint. One of these is an 'Out Of The Blue' session that I've never seen domestically.

Isn't there a listing of these somewhere in the web? I remember a thread with a link to a Somethin' Else listing.

I too was underwhelmed, but some stuff was really good - sometimes it takes some years to really appreciate a recording.

I regret I never got the Manhattan Project video.

Edited by mikeweil

Joe Henderson - The state of the tenor  :wub:

This was originally issued on two single discs and reissued as a double CD. I don't see any reason why or how RVG should improve the sound - the orginal engineers (David Baker assisted by Jim Anderson!) did an excellent job. I'd rather fear that Mr. van Gelder's hearing loss would serve us another load of highs and lows boosted up a little too much.

Please tell me about this Somethin' Else record by Out of the Blue - I would certainly want to know about it for my Mike Mossman discography (and maybe Renee Rosnes too). I have four CDs by them, all on US Blue Note and have never heard of one that was Japan-only. Anything is possible, though.

One thing I *don't* have (and *do* want) is the Renee Rosnes trio album (Face To Face) on Somethin' Else. Anyone who's got that, drop me an email.

Mike

Second that recommendation for Joe Chambers 'Mirrors' too. Sad that he didn't do a follow-up for BN.

When you only sell a few hundred copies, they don't give you second albums at major labels. Sadly that disc sold very poorly. No one bought it.

Try the 2003 release "Urban grooves" on 441 records. I like this one too.

Sidemen are Gary Barz on alto/soprano, Eric Reed on piano and Rufus Reid on bass.

Please tell me about this Somethin' Else record by Out of the Blue - I would certainly want to know about it for my Mike Mossman discography (and maybe Renee Rosnes too). I have four CDs by them, all on US Blue Note and have never heard of one that was Japan-only. Anything is possible, though.

One thing I *don't* have (and *do* want) is the Renee Rosnes trio album (Face To Face) on Somethin' Else. Anyone who's got that, drop me an email.

Mike

Apologies Michael - Its actually 'Superblue' and not 'OOB'. That's the trouble with posting from work when you don't have your LPs at hand ;) . This one is titled 'Superblue' and was put out on Something Else back in 1989. Mainly covers of standards and BN classics. Front line of Don Sickler, Roy Hargrove, Bobby Watson, Bill Pierce and Frank Lacy. I can't recall ever seeing a CD of it but I'd be suprised looking at the sleeve and vintage if this wasn't put out on CD also. LP was a US issue but under the Blue Note/Something Else Records logo, recorded by RVG and produced Namekata/Hirose.

True. I have both Superblue albums on US Blue Note CDs. These are really not in the same league as the OTB records since OTB was a working band, playing original compositions, etc. and Superblue was the name given to 2 separate studio projects that Don Sickler put together to play his arrangements of mostly classic 1950s-1960s stuff.

Mike

I'd second a reissue of Tony's Live in Tokyo double, have a CDR of it. I'd also want to hear the two Don Grolnick's, I enjoy his playing and writing on the first few Steps Ahead albums (back when they were Steps) however I am a little underwhelmed by his '86 album "Hearts and Numbers", only really like 2 tracks on that one.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Second that recommendation for Joe Chambers 'Mirrors' too. Sad that he didn't do a follow-up for BN.

When you only sell a few hundred copies, they don't give you second albums at major labels. Sadly that disc sold very poorly. No one bought it.

I ran into a shop and had a listen as soon as it was out, but Mirrors disappointed me - a little lame compared to the fire of any of his previous dates, leader or sideman. The "Poinciana Drum Groove" on one track was not nearly as engaging as Vernel Forunier's recording with Ahmad Jamal. Too polite, for my taste.

I ran into a shop and had a listen as soon as it was out, but Mirrors disappointed me - a little lame compared to the fire of any of his previous dates, leader or sideman. The "Poinciana Drum Groove" on one track was not nearly as engaging as Vernel Forunier's recording with Ahmad Jamal. Too polite, for my taste.

I know what you mean - however, I think that album was sort of over-produced, the production (and sound) smoothed everything out.

How about Bill Stewart? I think his "Telepathy" is very very good! I guess it sold poorly, as well, as he didn't get another chance.

ubu

Good call on the Bill Stewart BNs.

"Telepathy" is an amazingly good album. While "Snide Remarks" is not quite as good IMO, it is still worthy of re-issue and it actually has greater "star" appeal as it features Joe Lovano on tenor sax.

I am fortunate enough to have found used copies of both of these albums - one on Ebay and on in a brick and mortar (now sadly out of business) here in Charlotte.

ADR

• 9 years later...