Help -- Jazz record shops in London

bluesForBartok

A good place to start would be at Ray's Jazz Shop. This is actually located within the Foyles Bookstore on Charing Cross Road (nearest tube Leicester Square, just up the road and on the opposite side to the tube exit). Once in Foyles follw the signs to 'Cafe' and 'Ray's Jazz' (its also a good place in the West End to grab a bite and a cappucino B-) ). Ray's has quite a nice selection of CDs at good-ish price and also some second hand LPs. The other main port of call is Mole Jazz. They have recently relocated after existing for over 30 years in Kings Cross and are now located in Great Marlborough St, I think - haven't actually seen the new store (they occupy the upstairs section of a classical music store). One particular feature of Mole is their selection of jazz books (the Tubby Hayes discography they stock is particularly recommended) - not sure what the CD and LP selection is like of late. Another store worth checking out is 'Honest Jon's'. They are located on Portobello Road, nearest tube stop Ladbroke Grove out West beyond Hammersmith. Nice selection of modern and avante-garde material at this store. Enjoy the trip and hope that you find some nice stuff.. :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

To be honest, when I was in London last September I thought that both Ray's and Mole had limited selections at high prices. I guess I am spoiled living in Tokyo where the used stores are excellent. :) Actually, the best place for me was the main HMV on Oxford Street as they sell a number of RVG's and other CD's at 4.99 pounds which is about $9.00 (the pound has been very strong recently).

If you fancy a bit more of a rummage then the Music exchanges on Notting Hill Gate are fun the soul and jazz one has a reasonable selection of CDs and LPs and bargains (under £4 upstairs) the rock one is worth a look too. (another store on Camden High st has smaller selection )