What brought you to Organissimo?

ejp626

This question is more directed at the more recent members. Some people have been active on jazz boards for a long time (BNBB, AAJ, JC) and presumably were "in the know" once Organissimo opened. I am more interested in people stumbling across the site. For my part, it was searching for details on the massive Jazz in Paris box set and I definitely found the best information here.

A follow up question might be, why did you become a member? I lurked for a while, then realized that this really did seem to be an interesting community that I would like to join. :wub: I generally am not big on joining chat sites, but this one had so much of interest (even in the Miscellaneous non-music area) and a fairly open and accepting membership, that I thought I would give it a go. (I agree with much that was said in the What Have You Learned and How Other People See Us threads where people talk about what Organissimo means to them.) I have three "live" people I discuss jazz with, but this site allows me to enter into discussions on a much broader range of topics. I've become a bit addicted to monitoring the site, and I certainly have spent more than I should have after reading recommendations (I probably should probably permanently block out the Mosaic and other box sets topic ;) ). But it's been a lot of fun so far, and it's only been 6 months!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm proud to note that I am member #3, the first person beside b-3er and Use 3D to register. Jim put the word out on Ye Olde Bored Cryptone that this site was up, and I knew it was going to be a viable community, so I wasted no time in becoming a part of it.

Tried staying loyal to the BNBB for as long as it was tenable, but that didn't last too long. Tried hanging around the other two "name" boards and using this as my "after hours" hang, but life changes necessitated chossing only one board to frequent, and this one was my choice.

These days, my participation is way down, comparatively (those darn life events again...), but the Organissimo Board is still a part of my "normal" daily routine. Reading and posting is relaxing, entertaining, stimulating, and informative (sometimes to the point of being downright educational!).

If the Organissimo Board didn't already exist, we would have to invent it!

Started at the BNBB when it first came about, then switch my posting focus to Jazz Central Station. [That board was part of Music Boulevard.com before it was bought by CDnow.com, before it was absorbed by Amazon].

When that died, I continued posting at the BNBB but also found my way over to Jazz Corner. Posted there for quite some time. Those were the days, with the Jazz Trading Post. Man, I moved a lot of discs through that.

I moved completely over to the BNBB after the redesign and posted there for several years until it was fatally wounded. Then B3-er came and saved the day. And 700 posts later...

I was part of the crowd at BNBB looking for a new home.

We tried out a couple of places and I still recall the humor of Catesta pushing the censorship envelope on one of the sites. Things just didn't seem the same.

Mike Ricci was doing his best to welcome us on his board, but it just wasn't the same.

I registered early on this board--don't happen to know my number offhand, but it took me a week or two before I really started to post. Jazzmoose played a role as he pm'd me to say he was happy that I was participating here.

Basically, I was following Catesta around...

:lol:

I was looking for a place like the BNBB and the Harlem site that Catesta pushed the wrong buttons on didn't seem that great and AAJ was ok but b3er allowed this place to grow organically, not guiding it or controlling it. That's why this place is so great. I joined as soon as I heard about it. Always respected what Jim had to say (both Jims that is) and this is a good, no great place.

If it weren't for this place, we'd be in trouble.

I wasn't No. 3 to join but I made it to the top 30 :D

Edited by Brad

Member #4!

Organissimo Forum Fun Fact: 3 of the first 4 members here are named Jim!

When the BNBB ship was going down, I remember discussing options with everyone. As soon as B3-er fired this baby up, I made the jump. I still read a couple of other boards on occasion, but consider this my home. ^_^

Another "single digit" dude "reporting for duty"! :lol:

Also part of the BNBB diaspora, I didn't integrate well with AAJ--Mike's welcome over there couldn't have been friendlier, but I just couldn't get into it for reasons I can't explain. I was thrilled when Jim said, "I'll build a place" and others said "if you build it they will come", it happened, and I ran over and parked my ass on this stool for good. What a place--there are birthday wishes, people telling others when they're proud of something they've done, members congratulating those people for those accomplishments in turn, sympathy when needed and, sometimes best of all, just a lot of pure joy--like listening to Mingus X5 at volume 11!

I was a long time lurker over at the BNBB (ever since Al Gore invented the internet) and hardly ever participated. I used the board more to get information to give, mainly because I didn't have much to give! My participation here has been much more frequent--the oft-used analogy of Org being a bar where you "know" everyone applies, and I consider the on- and off-board contacts and friendships I've made to be invaluable. I'm proud to be associated with you folks!

Thanks for this wonderful place, Jim!

:wub:

As everyone knows, I was a BNBB refugee, and I joined relatively late in the game (member #171, and I joined a full 6 days after "day #1").

First I went to a couple other places... First to some board based on the Harlem Renaissance (??? -- does that ring any bells with anybody?). Needless to say the "Harlem Renaissance" board never did attract enough BNBB-ers to even drive 10 posts a day, as I recall. Then I found AAJ, but that never seemed right either, with the bashing we were starting to take over there from day #1 ("damn Blue Note people, go away!!!").

I think I saw on AAJ that something was happening at some board with the funny-sounding name that I couldn’t hardly spell ( ;) ) --- and then when I saw that both Sangry and Chuck had up camp over here --- I said, this be the place for me!!!! :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I had been lurking on the BNBB and followed with interest its final debacle. Only had access to a computer at work when this one started tried to join but failed! ( I am -still-computer illiterate!) But somehow did manage to affiliate with AAJ, go figure. Then this year got a computer tried again and here I am. And it has become a regular part of my daily regime.

Another one from the Diaspora.

Joined here on Day 2 after stupidly waiting for another day just to make sure the BB was a thing from the past.

I also checked in at a couple of other Boards but this one was THE right place from the start and it's been home since!

I was a lurker on the BNBB for several months, and then was a member for 7 or 8 months. When the BN Board started to destruct, I stayed there for a while in the hopes that the destruction wouldn't be final. When I registered here it seemed like home.

How 'bout some new members letting us know how they ended up here? Wasn't that the intended purpose of this thread?