BFT #16 - Disc 1 - Discussion

Dan Gould

7. Sounds like a J.J. Johnson thing. Maybe Kenny Dorham on the trumpet, Oscar Pettiford on bass, Max Roach on drums, anyone else?

:excited::excited::excited:

I can't believe I actually guessed an artist correctly!!!! Woo hoo!!!

The last time this happened was on JSngry's BFT, way back when!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7. Stumped again! I know the tune, and again think I have it. I’m a sucker for trumpet/bone doubling, though; I would guess that it’s Curtis Fuller, but the sound of the recording makes me think otherwise. The bassist is pretty journeyman, though, and can’t hold a candle to the trumpet player (Kenny Dorham?)

Me too! Probably my first correct guess ever!

I'm giddy over here thinking my Dorham guess for #7 might have been on target.  Gettin' better at this!

I meant to add that it's pretty pathetic. :g

Hey! Speak for yourself! :angry:

:D It's amazing how hard this can be without a reference point...somehow you listen to a recording enough and think you'd "name that in three notes," but stuck in the middle of a compilation, or if you haven't just been listening to the record, it's just not that easy! Thus the large number of "I KNOW I have this record" guesses in my responses...

Still fun, though!

:tup

I hope you didn't take that personal Peter Johnson! I thought maybe you guys were ribbing me... ;)

Tough to compete with the guys who spot musicians by their phrasing habits or can tell who's an imitator but not the real deal.

I hope you didn't take that personal Peter Johnson! I thought maybe you guys were ribbing me... ;)

Tough to compete with the guys who spot musicians by their phrasing habits or can tell who's an imitator but not the real deal.

Of course not! It's just nice to be in the same boat as others...

Do we have confirmation on track 5?

No, I think we got 7...

But previous mentions of 5 as being "The Preacher" plus others' insistence (myself included) that 5 includes Gene Harris haven't led me to anything in allmusic! AMG ain't dispositive, of course, but the only entries for Horace Silver + Gene Harris are Nica's Dream and Strollin'. Hmmmmmmmm...

No, I think we got 7...

But previous mentions of 5 as being "The Preacher" plus others' insistence (myself included) that 5 includes Gene Harris haven't led me to anything in allmusic! AMG ain't dispositive, of course, but the only entries for Horace Silver + Gene Harris are Nica's Dream and Strollin'. Hmmmmmmmm...

Maybe it's not "The Preacher" but a song based on the same chords?

9- identified the tune right away. Heard the composer play that one several times. And when the composer showed up on this track with his very distinctive sound, I had no problem pinning this.

Track 2 of this album:

http://www.mysimon.com/4004-4182_8-660014103.html

Not familiar with this big band and will purchase this album. Very nice version!

Sorry brownie, that's definitely not the version from the Milestone CD - I have that one and compared. I smell a bad trick! ;)

No, I think we got 7...

But previous mentions of 5 as being "The Preacher" plus others' insistence (myself included) that 5 includes Gene Harris haven't led me to anything in allmusic!  AMG ain't dispositive, of course, but the only entries for Horace Silver + Gene Harris are Nica's Dream and Strollin'.  Hmmmmmmmm...

Maybe it's not "The Preacher" but a song based on the same chords?

It is "The Preacher", but with the cords somewhat simplified in a retro boogie/blues fashion - too unsophisticated for Gene Harris - see my first post in this thread.

7- this MUST be the non-vocal track that was left out of that album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:pt3m962odep7

Track is 'Optional'. I have this on a trumpet anthology LP that I obviously did not place in its right place among my vinyls. Just could not find that LP to just check this answer. But I feel pretty sure about this. The horns are so distinctive...

Good sleuthing, brownie, could be. I hate Fantasy's inconsistency abbout adding bonus tracks - this was not added to the CD reissue of the vocal LP! But it was an excellent trumpet anthology for its day!

Good to read how many of us identified Dorham and Fuller! :tup

I've been thinking that the guitarist on TRACK 1 sounds a lot like Bill DeArango. With a little bit of luck, I hit on this pretty quickly (this tune sounded very familiar, and the tenor player sounds right to my ears):

TRACK 1

Jim, impressed that you identified that track via de Arango. And thanks for posting the link to this guitar player. I heard him on some of the early dates and also enjoyed him on the EmArcy date with John Williams, one of my favorite piano players.

But I have heard nothing from his later appearances. Any good? Would you have any recommendations?

Jim, impressed that you identified that track via de Arango. And thanks for posting the link to this guitar player. I heard him on some of the early dates and also enjoyed him on the EmArcy date with John Williams, one of my favorite piano players.

But I have heard nothing from his later appearances. Any good? Would you have any recommendations?

brownie, unfortunately I have not checked out much of DeArango's work recently. I've come across a recording or two (quite sure I've seen his "Anything Went" CD), but I guess I've always decided to spend my $ on something else on those occasions.

13 posts of guesses/impressions on this disc, only 10 so far on Disc #2, out of 31 mailed.

Guess a lot of folks are on vacation ... :huh:

Dan, these two CDs take some time to check out, so please be indulgent.

But I think, e.g., couw mentioned he will be in Paris sometime in August.

13 posts of guesses/impressions on this disc, only 10 so far on Disc #2, out of 31 mailed.

Guess a lot of folks are on vacation ...  :huh:

Dan, these two CDs take some time to check out, so please be indulgent.

But I think, e.g., couw mentioned he will be in Paris sometime in August.

couw was in Paris a couple of weeks ago. He is visiting old Europe now.

I'm a bit late, so I'll write up some right on the second listen through. Overall, this is a very nice compilation, so thanks a whole bunch Dan!

Track 1. Nice schwing time tenor man. With Prez under the itchy blanket, my guess would be this is Ike Q, though I still need to get his 78rpm stuffs. They tell me that stuff is good and this is too. The guitar came as a bit of a surprise as there is no comping throughout. As Jim R will have nailed this one by one pluck of a string, here's hoping he has posted already.

Track 2. More raspy coolness, the beginning seems somewhat chopped. Just because of the breathy whispers and to make a cool remark, I'll drop Shepp's name here. Just had his 1998 St Louis Blues disk in my hands some moments ago and there's more of this blues drenched breathing on that one. This is not him though: I'm gonna go with latter day Webster for this.

Track 3. Sounds like a recent effort; my guesses are not very informed in that department. Know the tune, can't name it. The tenor has many little touches of stuff that bring names to the tip of my toungue, but I can't name one and I doubt it is any of them anyhow. Though I like what I hear very much, it doesn't intrigue me to the extent that I can't sleep tonight.

Track 4. "Things ain't...," nice. no clue on either player. Nothing much happens really, which can be nice for a change.

Track 5. a Horace Silver tune and an entertaining intermezzo.

Track 6. After Hours, nice slow pace. No fireworks by the tenor, but like the previous track the straight ahead bluesy predictability of it all makes it very entertaining, though this one may go on a bit too long. Don't like the multiple instrument stings very much and could do without the grand finale. No bells are ringing in the identification department.

Track 7. Sound like KD, but with whom? and on what instrument? bass trombone? or just a closely miked tb? It has some brabbling Fulleresquisities, but no solid guess from me here. And what's with the wavering stereo image (esp. at the start of the track)? Nice stuff, could be better, still very nice.

Track 8. so now we're in trumpet land. This is nice, but after so many straight ahead bluesy candle blowing it doesn't yank me enough. The trumpet should have taken some more chances on this one for my taste at this point in the compilation. some vibes would have been nice here.

Track 9. more like it! the sax section is nicely unatuned as are the bones, pretty much going on here. No clue on the players though the tenor sounds familiar somehow.

Track 10. Maiden Voyage. Is the buzz supposed to be there or a nasty side effect? The organ is a cool touch, really like that. Stereo panning a bit too much with the tenors blowing off one channel and the echo way on the other. Did I mention yet that the organ is way cool? Some Shorter and some Coleman in these tenors, but not enough to throw out names. Very curious

Track 11. woa, loud! some level correction might have been in order here Dan! ;)

the balance on this is way off, I would like to boost the right channel a little. The pianist's "backhand" reminds me of Tyner somewhat, all the rest doesn't, so I'll leave it at that. Drats, I could *really* do without that nasty pop-click-pop-

Obviously the players are having fun here. Bone sounds familiar.

And I'll say it once again: this is a very nice comp. :tup