Jimmy Smith's "The Boss"

CJ Shearn

Looking forward to this reissue, heard a couple cuts on Scott "Organfreak" Hawthorn's site a few years ago, and it smokes, especially with George Benson and Donald Bailey on board. Anyway, I seem to recall the feww tracks I heard as being edited, will the new Verve LPR reissue restore the track lengths like on "Root Down" or should I expect just a straight reissue of the original album?

If I recall, the album is a good one, but what kept me from playing it much was there was a constant buzz from the crowd. I don't mean applause or clapping (like a live Cannonball album, for example, or that over-dubbed enthusiasm on a Jack McDuff LP), or a phone ringing (like every record made at the Blackhawk) - which often add to the record's ambience - but a constant din. Maybe the CD release will correct this.

• 3 weeks later...

Some Of My Best Friends Are Blues......7:54

The Boss............................................8:48

This Guy's In Love With You.................5:52

Fingers..............................................10:30

Tuxedo Junction...................................9:29

I haven't listened yet, but it appears the cuts are as they were on the original LP- no restored cuts.

Got my copy in the mail today. No booklet either, and I'm bummed about the edits, but the playing is great (Jimmy really gets off on the title track and "Fingers") its much better than some of the big band stuff he was putting out like "Livin it Up", and the sound is very good too. Just glad its on CD.

Is anyone actually listening to this? The crowd noise (which I recalled above, from the LP) is still unbelievable! I understand that we sometime have to put up with sub-standard recording or other annoyances to listen to great music, but "The Boss" - recorded in an era when "live" recordings were fairly routine - has to be some kind of record. (And it's not like the audience noise has any relationship at all to what's being played - don't think anyone was evening listening to the good music that was being played.) With all the many fine "Verve" Jimmy Smith titles that are yet to be reissued, I don't get it . (Even Benson's "live" appearances with McDuff are better than this.)