Charlie Haden, Land of the Sun

Big Al

While doing an entirely unrelated search on AMG, there was a blurb on the homepage about Charlie Haden’s new album, Land of the Sun. The AMG review was the usual over-the-top praise by Thom Jurek, so I didn’t pay that part of it much attention. But the lineup and the concept looked intriguing. The Verve site has sound clips, and they were very nice!

So I decided to do some more searching into other Haden projects of the last few years, and AMG tends to be quite unforgiving of Haden’s work in the last decade or so, including Nocturne which, as it turns out, inspired the latest album.

So now I’m wondering: is this latest album more of the same? And is that a good thing? Or is AMG (for once) right about Haden’s solo projects of the last decade or so? At first, I thought it was just AMG not wanting to give any weight to an artist who truly follows his own muse; but then I started listening to sound clips from these album. They may be on to something, if these clips are any indication.

What do you all think?

While doing an entirely unrelated search on AMG, there was a blurb on the homepage about Charlie Haden’s new album, Land of the Sun. The AMG review was the usual over-the-top praise by Thom Jurek, so I didn’t pay that part of it much attention. But the lineup and the concept looked intriguing. The Verve site has sound clips, and they were very nice!

So I decided to do some more searching into other Haden projects of the last few years, and AMG tends to be quite unforgiving of Haden’s work in the last decade or so, including Nocturne which, as it turns out, inspired the latest album.

So now I’m wondering: is this latest album more of the same? And is that a good thing? Or is AMG (for once) right about Haden’s solo projects of the last decade or so? At first, I thought it was just AMG not wanting to give any weight to an artist who truly follows his own muse; but then I started listening to sound clips from these album. They may be on to something, if these clips are any indication.

What do you all think?

The album is the music of three Mexican composers: Eight songs by Jose Sabre Marroquin, who wrote Nocturnal, and one each by Augustin Lara and Armando Manzanero. To me, it's not more of the same because of the extraordinarily beautiful compositions and the wonderful arrangements and playing of Gonzalo Rubalcaba. He's terrific. Joe Lovano also plays beautifully but the MVP might be Michael Rodriquez on trumpet and flugelhorn. I've been seeing his name a lot recently. No wonder. Ignacio Berroa is the drummer. Larry Koonse is the guitarist. Miguel Zenon on alto. I think Land Of The Sun is very special.

I also like Nocturne and Night and the City, especially if I am unwinding from a long day. I have not heard Land of the Sun, but perhaps I will seek it out now.

I do not like Haden's work completely undiscriminately, BTW. I cannot stand American Dreams. I wasn't crazy about Under the Missouri Sky the first time I heard it, but it really grew on me.

As long as we're on the topic of Charlie Haden, can anyone fill me in on the Liberation Music Orchestra (I think that's the name of it)?

Some kind of jazz protest music? I can't remember where I saw something about it, and I know I can do the Google thing, but I figured I'd get a better response here ...

Thanks in advance!

I found 'American Dreams' very marshmallow. I love Haden's playing and am glad he's prepared to express his romantic, lyrical side but just wish he'd record more of his edgier music. Hopefully the promised new Liberation Music Orchestra disc with Carla Bley will work this way.

Having said that I loved 'The Art of Song'. I ignored it completely until hearing some of the music used on a documentary about the War in the Pacific. His croaky vocal on 'Wayfaring Stranger' is spine-tingling.

His duo disc from earlier this year with John Taylor is gorgeous too. Again, the lyrical Haden but without the mush of 'American Dreams'.

Chrome,

'Liberation Music Orchestra' from the late 60s on Impulse is a wonderful, wonderful recording. Very much in the radical spirit of those days - a beautiful balance of well constructed themes, free-ish blowing and Spanish Civil War songs!

I also love the early 80s 'Ballad of the Fallen' - whereas Vietnam and the discontent of the Nixon years was at the heart of the first record, this one was inspired by Haden's feelings about events in central America and the USAs role there.

Very moving music.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

The Liberation Music Orchestra's new project, under the direction of Carla Bley, has already been performed in Europe. I attended a concert in Langnau (Switzerland) end of July. Very beautiful music.

Haden said something to the effect that they have already recorded the material in Rome. He did not mention when the record will be issued. But after the issue of the new Haden CD I assume it could be 2005.

• 1 year later...

Bump it up cuz I recently found this at the library, checked it out, and fell in love with it! Bought my own copy, too; that's how much I dig it. :wub::wub:

When listening to it, it puts me in mind of two of my favorite albums: Jobim's TERRA BRASILIS and Hubert Laws' IN THE BEGINNING. There's something very atmospheric about this album, makes me long for long autumn sunsets and changing colors of the leaves. Plus, my wife likes it, which is always a plus.

Extraordinarily beautiful music! :tup

It's an excellent CD. I also recommend Nocturne.

Bump it up cuz I recently found this at the library, checked it out, and fell in love with it! Bought my own copy, too; that's how much I dig it. :wub:  :wub:

When listening to it, it puts me in mind of two of my favorite albums: Jobim's TERRA BRASILIS and Hubert Laws' IN THE BEGINNING. There's something very atmospheric about this album, makes me long for long autumn sunsets and changing colors of the leaves. Plus, my wife likes it, which is always a plus.

Extraordinarily beautiful music! :tup