BFT #17 - Discussion - Disc 1

Tom Storer

Let the fun begin! Use this thread to give your opinion of the contents of Blindfold Test 17, Disc 1.

My main concern was just to provide some things I really think are very good jazz, representing a range of eras and approaches (although there isn't any real "outside" music; not that I don't listen to it, it just didn't wind up on the test--maybe next time). I didn't try to make the selections particularly hard to guess. Some of them are sure to be recognized by at least a few participants, and most of them on Disc 1 are a click or two away on the net for the detectives among you. As usual, please don't identify the pieces directly if you're certain of what they are--instead, provide a link to AMG or some other site with the information. If you're guessing or thinking out loud, it's OK to post. I think it's more fun to give one's thoughts before doing any research, but it's a free discussion board so do what you like!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, may I start the ball rolling?

1. My Favorite Things, of course but no idea who it is. Style not at all familiar to me. Nice though - sensitive.

2. Outside my ambit but I recognised the clarinet solo, having played it numerous times, so I'd say High Society. Can't even begin to say who though.

3. This one I knew the tenor immediately, and soon after the trumpet. So it's this if I can get this link business to work. The tune is of course only too familiar, unaviodably so. After buying [The Beatles' Music by the Session Men] by Ronnie Ross and co which I promptly got rid of, I am very averse to Beatles tunes.

More later...

Edited by tooter

1) "My Favorite Things", don't recognize piano player

3) Definitely don't have this recording however it sounds very much like a Blue Note date with Stanley Turrentine and Lee Morgan. Hadn't been aware that they ever recorded together so I was doubting my guess however a Lee Morgan discography I have indicates that they did record a date together sometime in '64. Is this track from it (assuming I have the front line right)?

4) "Taking a Chance on Love". Like this tune. Nice piano trio version.

5) "It Might as Well be Spring". Trombone doesn't do much for me.

7) "Killing Me Softly". Alto player sounds a little tired. Not a good jazz tune.

10) "Them There Eyes". Sounds possibly like Al Cohn.

11) Can't place this good '40s sounding swing track but sounds like Benny Carter on alto, Hawk, and possibly Buck Clayton

12) "All the Things....". Recognized Konitz immediately. Other alto sounded like Anthony Braxton which leads me to believe that this track is from an early '70s Atlantic recording under Brubeck's leadership. Interestingly, the piano player didn't remind me of Dave but I know of no other session in which these two alto players appeared together.

13) "Lester Leaps In" . Can't place tenor.

Thanks, enjoyable disc.

Got the discs Thursday afternoon, listened to both 1X Thursday nigh, and again while we speak. Have not read other posts.

First of all, this is a swell disc, full of distinct voices, something that I myself value/enjoy/etc. above all else. Also, most of the cuts were specifically distinctive within the individuals' distinctiveness, if that makes any sense. As such, it was a real treat to listen. Thanks to Tome for "nudging" me to particiapate, and thanks for quick mail-out. I feel rewarded!

Ok, let's get down to business...

TRACK ONE - The title cut of Disc One, no doubt! ;)

Kinda Ran Blake-ish in it's opening up of the harmony, but not as open as Ran. A marvellous spin on an old standby. It really had me listening in anticipation and feeling as a result. Guessing that it wasn't Ran, and not sounding remotely like anybody else I could think of (not too specifically, anyway. A "careless" guess could be made for Paul Bley, or maybe even Jaki Byard) I HAD to hunt this one up. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:5ge67ui020jj If the rest of the album is this involving, I'll be looking to pick it up!

TRACK TWO - No clue. The tune is one of those Trad things that I know by everything but name (there's too many of those, unfortunately...). Good playing by all, not necessarily what I'd call "great", but nevertheless very enjoyable. This kind of stuff has the BEAT, and as such continues to reverberate through the world today in many guises. The clarinetist stands out the most to me, starting with the "High Society" riff (is that the name of this tune?) and carrying on with good spirit. There might even be two clarinetists, don't have the time to really dig into the tapestry. I don't think so, though. The one guy just hits some licks with an "out of nowhere" directness that makes it sound like it MGHT be somebody else. Nice.

TRACK THREE - MAybe not, but it can help get you a reasonable facsimile for a little while.

mr-natural.jpg

TRACK FOUR - Love is indeed chancey if you don't have any money! Cymbals sound very ECM-ish, and the intro sounds like one of those hip chamber things that the MJQ were into in the late 60s/early 70s, but this ain't even them. Hell, it ain't even a quartet. No money, but you're buying a string of pearls? My, but you ARE taking a chance! Very nice, chamber-esque reading by two players I don't really follow, and probably won't, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one piece. Since I might not much free time to sleuth in the upcoming days, let me do it now: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:rn6htr7rkl4x

TRACK FIVE - WELL! Is this Vic Dickenson? It might as well be, even though this is September...What a delightfully moving deathbed-ish performance. I know that sounds twisted, but this really sounds like an old guy on the way out, but he's going out with his spirits held high, refusing to look into the void, but instead going into the light with anticipation of more fun ahead. A pretty interesting use of the slide to get some "in between" notes toards the end too. Now, having said that, I'm not sure it's Vic. So I'll research and find this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kzvyxdsb8olf AHA! I've been meaning to buy this for YEARS! Now, I have to. Great performance.

TRACK SIX - Well, the singer's a no-brainer for a fan, and I'm a HUGE fan. The tune is a Strayhorn classic, of course. Yet, I don't know this performance. Beautiful piano playing too. This is a tune that easily veers into self-pitying bathos if you don't watch it, and both of these guys watch it just perfectly. Gotta research this one, because it's another one that I'm going to have to put on the "priority" list...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0kxsa9igu23h

Oh...my...God... It just got a whole lot deeper (for me) than it already was knowing this... Wow...

TRACK SEVEN - Was it raining when you put this together, Tom? :g Seriously, this is perfect "Jazz For A Rainy Day" compilation! Ok, the song is obvious, and the alto player sounds like Kenny Garrett in a REALLY mellow mood, I like this kind of thing, because it takes a great deal of maturity and feeling to keep this mood as consistent, to not go into "burn land", to keep the vibe righteous from start to finish. And these guys are INTO the vibe - they keep it right where it needs to be AND they keep it liquid musically. This is the kind of thing that "the average person" and the musician alike can dig, and I'm all for that as part of a well-balanced and healthy jazz macro system. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:vr3m968ofep5 Didn't know this album, but the altoist is pretty much one of those blessed ones that you can spot at anytime doing anything.

TRACK EIGHT - Altoist is more than a little familiar, but not enough so to bring about instant recognition... Charlie Mariano? Very much out of Bird, but he's grown past the bebop vernacular...Pianist is another one of those "brooding" types you've favored us with, and I love it! Can't hazard a guess, though...Don't recognize the tune, either, unless it's a Ran Blake de/reconstruction that I'm not familiar with, or an original, or a standard that I don't know...Tune sounds like one of those stretched out ballads that Andrew Hill writes...Oh well, six times through it, and noting definitive has clicked yet (but the beauty of the composition and the playing of it has grown for me each time through). I'm stumped. But I KNOW that alto player, whoever it is! :wacko::blink:

TRACK NINE - Not my type of tenor playing. The tone sounds like it's got the "intensity" built into it, like they guy could get that quality no matter how bored or drug he was. There's a lot of that going around these days, it seems...

But anyway, the piece is as good a representation of the modern mainstream. Modality and change-based playing merged and built into one mindset, everybody comfortable with all the musical progress made up until 1964/65, and off they go. Certainly nothing wrong with it, but this cut has a "generic" quality to it that contrasts with the deeply personal expressions of everything else on this disc. Oh well, can't like everything. I suppose.

Oh yeah, don't have a clue who it is either.

TRACK TEN - Well now, talk about yer personality! You got a way of startin' somethin', Tom! Love is heavy, but if you put it on a cone, it rolls! This is a CLASSIC album, I think. Go ahead with THAT!

TRACK ELEVEN - Ok, let's swing out! Clarinet sounds like an early Tony Scott, but that's not official by a long shot... There's Benny Carter...Trumpet...not Roy, I don't think, Sweets or Buck Clayton, maybe...Oscar on piano? more tasteful than ususal if it is, I know he CAN do that....earlier Illinois Jacquet, or somebody strongly under his sway (there were many back then...)...some kind of Norman Granz thing from the 78 era? You got me!

TRACK TWELVE - Ok, this one I ended up laughing out loud at Thursday night. Didn't recognize the pianist from the intro, but I KNEW that it was a Boston drummer, either Roy Haynes or Alan Dawson most likely. Then the alto comes in, and I KNEW who that was, so I started trying to connect him with the Boston drummers in question, but geeez, the guy's made how many million sides, so no luck there. Then the paiono solo begins, and I STILL can't but it all together, but the painist is sounding very, VERY, "post-modern" in the way that what him and the drummer are getting into. Then the second alto comes in, and THE LIGHTBULB GOES OFF!!!! I never bought this album, but heard it quite a bit back in the day. I'd forgotten all about it! I'll start looking for it, I can tell you that!

Well, what can you say? Weirdass 70s recording as far as the drum miking and bass sound go, but hey, big whoop. There's a lot of revelation in this performance, on a lot of different levels.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Ok, you had me totally stumped on this one. It sure weren't Lester doing the leaping! The only halfway clear guess that came to mind was Benny Wallace, and that didn't seem right. so you forced me to reserach. I've been combining guess and research in this post for reasons given above, but in this case, I'll not "spoil the surprise" so early in the game (although, ther will be no surprise spoiling if nobody clicks on the links, Bwsides, the selections that I already own and know, I left linkless!).

All I can say is that A)this guy's tenor tone has REALLY darkened over the years and B)that is a DEVIOUS and BRILLIANT closing selection, for reasons that will become apparent as the answers are revealed. YOU BASTARD! :g

A most enjoyable set, Tom, full of fascinations and favorites, the latter consisting of a few old ones, and many more "to be" ones. An outstanding compilation in every regard. Thanks again!

Edited by JSngry

So these are a few of your favourite things, Tom? ;) Now here are some of my favourite guesses for this enjoyable disc. Still haven't heard a note from disc 2, but these notes were taken while surveying disc 1 for the third time.

Track 1. The most original version of this worn standard I have ever heard! Too bad I HAFC who it is ... would like to hear more from this pianist.

Track 2. If this is a Dixieland revival band - and it sounds like one to me - it is one of the best I ever heard. Swinging and not a bit superficial. Now I'm probably in for a surprise here.

Track 3. Blue Note plays the Beatles? Probably track 5 from (this album). The horns sure sound like them. Nice but I don't think I will run for this, but I'll gladly take it as part of a larger box set ... ;)

Track 4. Hey - great pick! We're both lucky I forgot considering this for my own upcoming BT! Track 8 from (this CD)/URL]. A friend of mine (we frequently do mutual blindfold sessions) pointed this one out to me. The sparse setting with a sensitive drummer like this works best with the harmonically sophisticated work of this pianist - I had a trio CD of his and gave it to my friend 'cause I couldn't take the bass player together with him. Must be hell for any bass player, cause his two hands go in at least two directions harminically all the time. But this duo CD is great!

Track 5. Very original trombone player, a true stylist. Britt Woodman? Bill Harris? Hmm...

Track 6. Oh Yeah! Just got me his latest on ebay. Billy Strayhorn's Something to live for, probably from (this CD), although the tracks are not listed on AMG. But this has to be him. Another reminder that some CDs of this greatest living jazz singer belong at the top of my want list ...

Track 7. Killing Me Softly - I'll risk a wild guess and say it's track 6 from (this CD] - which would make this CD much more attractive as I thought. Very nice soft alto, if my guess is correct, I'd have to admit I like this side of the alto cat much more than his energetic renditions of late. But he was the only one I could think of who would a track like this in such a way.

Track 8. What a great selection of ballads so far! No idea who this is. Very personal approach to tenor playing. I will leave it to Jim to correctly guess the tenor ;)... I like it very much how he plays these phrases softly behind the piano solo - truly communicative music making.

Track 9. Some extremely familiar tenor sound - maybe our Eric Alexander trap in this BT? HAFC.

Track 10. Them There Eyes. I have a feeling there's something missing after this track is finished, although they get it across they were having a fine time while recording. Maybe just too long. HAFC.

Track 11. Probably some bunch of swing veterans - too lazy to seriously check this out after only three hours of sleep last night and getting up very early to take my wife to work, bringing my above mentioned friend the second pack of BT 17 disc Tom has sent me (thanks again!), six hours of gardening on a fine sunny afternoon ...

Track 12. All The Things You Are. Sounds somewhat odd to me, like a bunch of wanna be Tristano disciples trying too hard - at least the drummer hits too hard, for sure. HAFC again ...

Track 13. This is not Lester leaping in - but that's all I know ... Like it. There is much too little unaccompanied sax playing.

Like the ballads best on this disc, exquisite choices - merci bien!

12) "All the Things....". Recognized Konitz immediately. Other alto sounded like Anthony Braxton which leads me to believe that this track is from an early '70s Atlantic recording under Brubeck's leadership. Interestingly, the piano player didn't remind me of Dave but I know of no other session in which these two alto players appeared together.

Oh boy - where's the next rabbit hole to hide .... :unsure::wacko: at least I was right about the Tristano lineage. Here goes my rule # 1 item! I should get me some sleep!

right-ho, here goes.

nummer een: Favorite Things. Very original piano rendition. Bit of a heavy touch, lots of problems, many favourites among those perhaps... very sensitive playing, maybe too much so, can't judge from one track

nummer twee: No idea who's playing. Fun stuff, though not immensely so. Blame me for that. There's some riffing in there that makes me think this is rather post-WWII than pre-. klengklengelengklengklengeleng...

nummer drie: Hhhhhokay, this is the gigolo and I don't have it. That must mean it's that album by Stan the Man (yes it's him) that I "naturally" don't have "Mister!" Great stuff, glad they took the crap out of the Beatles and laid down something as far out and groovy like this Mofo. When's the RVG scheduled again?

nummer vier: damn! is that drummer ever going to lay back with that hihat!? pretty obnoxious, he must be the leader. heheheh. Nah, pianist's date. Tune sounds familiar. Pretty minimalistic in some way this reading, dunno, sounds a bit like they do this every day and there is no effort.

nummer vijf: more depressing stuff, this time trombone by an old dude it seems. sounds rusty and slick both at the same time. neat! but still a bit depressing, even though it might as well be spring, jeesh! sounds almost like a bass trumpet or what have ya. No clue on the performer(s).

nummer zes: Andy Bey, not much of a fan, can't get past his schlusching sound schomehow. there's some fakeness in there as well, as if it's all really just a show, and I don't like that either. nice enough for sure, but not something I'd go out of my of to acquire.

nummer zeven: oh my god it's killing me softly. However nice the alto lays this down, it remains a song to play in the background in a high class bar or club. sounds all pretty and nice and pretty and nice too. I guess a player cannot really do much with the tune, dunno, although it sounds as if the alto would LIKE to take it out at times but is not allowed to. makes it sound a bit mechanic all.

nummer acht: yet another ballad. I'm glad it's night here already ;) can't take in much by now. puffing alto on the verge of tenor with some knack for keeping things going where the pianist is hitting yet another one of those "yo I'm broody!" type of plingploings. Nice, but too many in a row, need to listen to this one as a stand alone later.

nummer negen: Kenny G on tenor? ;) not of course and this player shows more than that. still, I hear more tricks than story, sorry.

nummer tien: much different (in spite of the awful echo off the left, wassup with that?!). guy has some story to tell. the piano going off into stride land reminds me of Byard, not him though.

nummer elf: bunch of bigshots. can't place the clarinet. Benny Carter? Clayton? piano cannot place. Hawk? Webster? nah, dunno. some Norman Granz like concert ditty.

nummer twaalf: Konitz. all the things. piano is pretty tight in a euro classic kinda way. (been listening to Körössy too much lately, it sticks... this guy is not as good though ;) ) Two alto! fegh, lost on the second one. Sounds much like but much freeer than Konitz (stoopid remark, I know). Clue me in guys!

nummer dertien: Lester leaps, but not quite. sounds almost like a free jazzer taking it down. can be anyone really. good stuff!

done

great disk (albeit with some deficiencies...) ;)

Okay, our garage sale is over, so here's the stuff I wrote a few days ago...

First of all, thanks again to Tom for putting together these two discs of interesting music. Nice variety, and very challenging!

Disc 1:

1. A harmonically advanced take on Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “My Favorite Things”. A little too harmonically advanced for my taste, but interesting nonetheless. I couldn’t even hazard a guess as to who’s playing.

2. I don’t have much knowledge or experience with this type of jazz. Could this be a Johnny Dodds group? Just a guess. I don’t recognize the tune. The fidelity almost made me feel like this could be a more modern recording than the period the style represents.

3. Track 3

4. “Taking a chance on love”. I like this a bit more than track one in terms of style. Not sure yet who this could be...

5. “It might as well be spring”. Hmm, sounds like a trombone, although not so obviously at times. Very precise and controlled approach to phrasing, more staccato than the usual trombone approach. Interesting, and I must say I like it. This player doesn’t strike me as very “bluesy”, and I’m not recognizing any personal characteristics here from trombonists I’m familiar with. This player’s vibrato, combined with the other stylistic elements, makes me wonder if this is an oldtimer of sorts (someone from the pre-bebop era, or someone younger who focuses on that era). Sounds like a fairly modern recording, at least on first spin. I’m stumped...

6. Track 6 I have some mixed feelings about this singer. I like (and can be quite moved by) the sound of his voice some of the time, and it irritates me at other times. I could say the same about his phrasing. I don’t think he’ll ever be a favorite, but tracks like this help me to warm to him more.

7. Ah, the old Roberta Flack tune from my high school days... “Killing me softly (with his song)”. I think I’ve heard this a couple of times as a jazz vehicle, but this may be the nicest version I’ve heard. I may have heard this version, in fact, but I’m sure I don’t own it. Very lovingly played, no nonsense, just enough improv here to keep it interesting.

8. This doesn’t sound familiar to me at all, but it’s tasty. Not as straight ahead as the stuff I usually listen to, but a nice change of pace for someone like me who isn’t extremely adventurous. I don’t love this, but I’m very content to listen to it. Like I said, tasty. And mysterious. One of the things I really like about these BFT’s. Even if I never buy this, I’m glad I got to hear it. No guesses.

9. My reaction to this is similar to the previous track. It’s very listenable, although not really my thing. This sounds like 1980’s or ‘90’s to me, in the general category of things inspired by the late ‘60’s Blue Note era. I think I liked track 8 better, only because that had a “peaceful” vibe that I dug. This sounds a bit more familiar in terms of style, and therefore had less mystery/adventure for me. Not boring, but far more familiar in terms of style.

10. The tune reminds me of “Them there eyes”, but sounds like it could be something slightly different. Actually, I listened again, and I think it may indeed be that tune, with a few liberties taken with the melody. This sounds like a “retro” performance, like track 2. A 1930’s style tune, probably recorded in the relatively recent past.

11. Now this sounds like a vintage recording... 1940’s? The tenor reminds me of Hawkins in terms of sound, but that’s not narrowing things down much. I think I need to spend some more time on this one.

12. “All the things you are”. I’ve never delved into this style much, and I know there are some major players that I’m relatively ignorant about. I’m thinking this might be something by (or inspired by) Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh (two greats that I have never been inspired to explore very far).

13. Is that “Lester leaps in”? This player is a little out for my taste, and outside my realm of familiarity. I can hear the connection to Sonny Rollins, but I’m not qualified to make a good guess as to who this is.

...I'll research and find this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kzvyxdsb8olf AHA! I've been meaning to buy this for YEARS!

Well, well, well. I deserved to get stumped on this. I can't quite say I've been meaning to buy this particular disc, but I've been meaning to find out why so many people- usually in-the-know people (there's no people like in-the-know people, like no people I know) :D (sorry)- talk about this guy when the subject of great trombonists comes up. I've been putting that off... for about 20 years. :rolleyes: I'm serious, and I have no idea why. Makes no sense to me, either.

I just listened again, and it occurs to me that while I don't love his note choices in stating the melody (a very important factor for me), and I'm not too crazy about the vibrato at times, I do love the tension he creates with his phrasing. All of the short phrases with their somewhat subdued energy set you (me) up for those little climaxes that he throws in every once in awhile. Basically, it's just refreshing to hear somebody playing the trombone a different way. As I said above, I like it. To think of all the $%#@ing OJC sales where I've bypassed this...

Another very appealing thing about this disc (besides the fact that it's an OJC that is widely overlooked, it seems) is that this is a tremendous assemblage (or "gathering", in case I butchered the spelling of "assemblage") of talent. The pianist is another artist whom I've been putting off really getting acquainted with, and I KNOW that I'm foolish for putting these things off.

Bottom line- GREAT choice for a blindfold track. :tup Thanks for the kick in the rear end, Mr. Storer.

Edited by Jim R

1. A My Favorite Things that's not overly influenced by Tyner/Coltrane. Sun Ra entered my mind, but I don't think this is his style. Paul Bley perhaps?

2. New Orleans style but recording quality suggests a date of 50's or later. Later Louis Armstrong?

3. Classic Blue Note style hard bop. Horace Silver is a possibility.

4. The drums sure sound like an ECM recording. No vocalizations, but rather mainstream for ECM. Maybe not ECM, I'll go with Brad Mehldau.

5. A nice trombone quartet ballad. Bennie Green perhaps?

6. Sounds like Andy Bey

7. A nice Killing Me Softly on alto. Is it Sonny Criss?

8. Art Pepper and George Cables?

9. Maybe Stan Getz, say about late 70's to early 80's.

10. Sonny Rollins?

11. Swinging stuff from the early 40's or thereabouts. Maybe early Count Basie?

12. All The Things You Are on alto. Sonny Stitt? I hear a second alto near the end.

13. A modern, but traditionally rooted tenor. Probably a latter day Rollins fan like Joshua Redman.

Yeah, that makes sense - a Herman small group w/Flip Phillips (not Hawk, thank God!). Those clarinet wisecracks at the end are both leader's perogative and a Woody trademark. AND the cut's got that Herman-esque drive that Chubby Jackson brought to the mix.

Now who else is on it? SOUNDS like Benny Carter, but who knows...

1. Tune is "My Favorite Things." I am thinking this guy is French for the impressionism. Petrucciani or Solal perhaps. But this very well could be Herbie or Andrew Hill. I just don't know the recording. 3 stars.

2. NMCOT but it is probably someone along the lines of Kid Ory and his band. Recording quality disqualifies ODJB. I was thinking the clarinetist was the leader of the group. In that case it could be Johnny Dodds. But I haven't heard anything in this genre over 3 and a half minutes, so this must be either Dixieland revival in the late forties or early fifties. 2.5 stars.

3. Sounds like Horace Silver on keys. The tenor player's high end and use of pentatonic suggest Stanley Turrentine. Could be his bro on tpt, but this guy has gotta be Lee Morgan from the signature licks and phrasing. It's almost surely something from the BN catalog. I wasn't diggin it until I heard that hip bridge. That bridges brings to mind a head that Cannonball or Horace each could have written. I dig this in the pocket swing thing. Good soloists. 4 stars.

4. I dig this. At first I thought it was a trio but I didn't hear any bass there. So I think it's a piano-drums duo. I really like the colors this drummer adds - he's got big ears. They are totally playing off each other. It could be Jack DeJohnette or Tony Williams. This tune is buried in the back of my cerebrum. It's eluding me and it might just drive me crazy if I don't change tracks soon. 3.5 stars.

5. I love this tune. "It Might as Well Be Spring." I'm pretty sure I had this on LP somewhere along the line, but I can't seem to find it right now. It's Bill Harris. And if I can recall correctly the rhythm section is Jimmy Rowles, Red Mitchell and I forget the drummer. I am pretty sure about that. But I don't wanna do a link and be wrong. 4.5 stars.

6. "Something to Live For." Great tune by Strayhorn and Duke. Can't be Johnny Hartman. That's high singing for a guy. I think it's Andy Bey with Fred Hersch. Not sure though. I'm pretty sure I've played this before on air. That's beautiful. 4 stars.

7. This is almost surely Walter Beasley doing "Killing Me Softly." He sounds like Kenny Garrett here at times. 2.5 stars. Thank you All Music for making me look smart.

It just goes to show that some of these smooth guys can actually play. Like I was listening to some smooth guy the other day in the car not by choice. I was with a lady. And so we're driving and I'm trying not to vomit cuz this stuff is so atrocious and then I hear this tenor player who's really cookin. And it turns out to be Najee. This guy actually has some chops interspersed between the bullshit. I've heard the same is true for Kirk Whalum (from a reliable source who knew him growing up in Texas). But these guys wanna make real bread so they sell their souls to Lucifer to play easy music.

8. Is this Greg Osby? This guy is really interesting. I can't recognize the head. 4 stars.

9. I could sware I own this. Or did at one point. Ooh this one bad MF. Is this Marcus Strickland? It's not Branford. Something tells me this is a brother. Could it be Josh Redman? I have no clue. I'm taking blind stabs in the dark. I dig the changes. Yeah that high end sounds a little like Josh. Good pianist but HAFC as to who it is. Could it be Eric Reed. It's definately a younger guy. Not totally digging the drummer though. 3 stars.

10. "Them There Eyes." I had it in the first two bars. It's

this. 4 stars.

11. This sounds like Ben Webster or Don Byas. Not sure though. Great shout chorus with piano solo. Classic stuff. 3 stars.

12. "All the Things You Are." Art Pepper? Sonny Fortune? Benny Carter? Frank Morgan? I am all alto'd out of guesses. Nice rendition if trite. OK rhythm section. Pianist is good. 3 stars.

13. I forget the name of this. I've probably played it at a jam session in the last month. Let's see if I can get the tenor player. Probably not. Ooh. Playing out? Billy Harper? David Murray? No not Murray; too straight-ahead. 3 stars.

That was fun. Thanks Tom. Can't wait to get to the next one.