BFT #17 - Discussion - Disc 2

Tom Storer

Track six:

Is it this band with Woody:

Pharoah Sanders - ss, perc; Gary Bartz - as, perc; Lonnie Liston Smith - p, perc; Cecil McBee - b; Clifford Jarvis - dr; Nathaniel Bettis - perc; Anthony Wiles - cong, perc.

I have the feeling that it's Billy Hart on drums though.

Edited by cannonball-addict

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

een: after only some cursory first listen, I was pretty sure I had this one nailed as some tune by the Slime Davis group with Rivers. But listening again and paying (a lot) more attention, I must admit that assesment was full of crap. It sounds MUCH more like Mingus -- with some tune from Changes 1,2,3 right? (too lazy really to check it out.) and a seventies band with George Adams. Adams keeps his limits here and gets to the point. Good. The piano must be Poullaine, yay! The sound on the trumpet is just awful which must have tempted me to skip it on my first, cursory, listen and head straight for number two. What on Earth did they do to the poor trumpet? The whole thing sounds like a pillow got stuck in my ear anyhow.

twee: another pillow gets stuck in there for track two. Sonny Boy getting his rocks off. great stuff, someone tell me what tune please. Sounds like mid sixties, the drummer has some madness up his sleeve, Han Bennink?

drie: SNC, no bells ringing here, save for those at the door. Bass is a bit annoying. I will just throw the name of Andre Condouant out there as the guitarist, not that I am that well informed but hey, it IS a cool name right? That would move the whole thing to Europe and make this an in promptu group (mayhap). Doorbells sound pretty fluid, no clue. Bassist has some rocky twangg going in his solo.

vier: Blackbird. more pillows. the performance wavers a little, but is generally pretty good. Haven't a clue on any of the players really. Nice that the patrons won't shut up.... The Naima thing is a nice touch.

vijf: took me a while to realise this is One Finger Snap. I'll just go with Herbie himself and keep my mouth shut. Tony? Carter? (shut up!) It gets a bit tiresome, must be the sound of the bass.

zes: Woody Shaw would be my guess. No idea on the other players really... real nice vibe they got going here. Has a bit of that Tynerish touch in places.

More cluelessness on display! ^_^

1. Had a nice groove, but that squealing tenor lost me quickly. On to the next track!

2. Auuuuugh, I should know this!!! I’m gonna hate myself after I find out who this is! Great groove, no piano, sound quality suggests Sonny at the VV, but it ain’t. That has to be one of the world’s most boring drum solos, though. Ginger Baker anyone?

3. “Straight No Chaser.” The guitar player sounds like Wes Montgomery, but the sound quality suggests something more recent. So I’ll just guess that it IS Wes, that’s his brothers Buddy and Monk on the vibes and bass, and the gig was recorded by Wally Heider! :g

4. “Bye Bye Blackbird.” Elvin on the drums? Joe Farrell on tenor? Reggie Workman on bass? Lost interest about five minutes into it, though.

5. HACF™, but I like it! Now THAT’S a drum solo!!!!

6. Another HAFC™.

Now to see the answer to #2 and start kickin' myself! :rsmile:

TRACK SIX - Woody Shaw, right? Same thing about the vocabulary here going over into the best early fusion playing. That's something that I haven't really heard for real until just recently. But tell you what - you take this groove, put the bass player on electric, change Woody to from a trumpet to a synth, qnd bygod, you damn near gots you some fusion (the GOOD kind, mind you).

Drummer Victor Lewis' career strongly supports this: He did sessions with David Sanborn, Carla Bley, Steve Swallow a.o. where he played downright funky or rockish and even contibuted tunes (7th Avenue on the first Sanborn) that the Woody Shaw quintet would have played just as convincingly.

A good bunch of bootlegs, aren´t they?

My only guesses are:

-for track two: it´s HIM, the greatest living jazz icon nowadays. One of the all-time greatest tenors doing one of his most famous songs, "St. Thomas". The drum solo was too long for my taste.

-for track three: tune is "Straight no chaser".

-for track four: tunes are "Bye bye blackbird"/"Naima".

Wasn't aware of a Rollins/Bennick gig amongst the archives, but one never knows, do one...

From JazzTimes on-line:

Though Han Bennink first popped up on international jazz radar in 1964 upon the release of Eric Dolphy's Last Date (Fontana), he was already becoming the drummer of choice for American front men working in Holland. By the end of the '60s, Bennink had gigged or recorded with a veritable Who's Who of American jazz, including Don Byas, Dexter Gordon, Wes Montgomery, Sonny Rollins and Clark Terry. At the same time, Bennink's collaborations with saxophonist Willem Breuker and pianist Misha Mengelberg laid the foundations of what would become the "New Dutch Swing" celebrated in the Kevin Whitehead book of the same name...

-Bill Schoemaker-

I finally had a chance to listen to both discs. Disc one twice and Disc two once. I listened to both discs in my office. It’s not the ideal environment for attentive listening, but because of all the activity at home, it is where I do most of my listening. I took notes while listening and have not read any other responses before posting my comments.

DISC TWO

Disc two seems to be pulled from Tom’s collection of unofficial live recordings. I have a slight unfair advantage since I have traded with Tom in the past and also know the source of several of the recordings in his collection.

1. I like the slightly mysterious nature of the introduction featuring the trumpeter before the sax solo. The saxophonist’s tone if familiar and I enjoyed his solo. The sound quality on this live recording is making it difficult for me to appreciate what the pianist was attempting to do. Overall this was an interesting track.

2. I am almost certain that I have this Sonny Rollins show and provided the recording to the person that Tom ultimately received it from. For the sake of fairness I will not reveal the other musicians that participate, but I will say that despite the less than perfect sound quality Rollins and his colleagues are in great form on this track. It’s a shame there are no official releases of this trio in good sound quality. I think the drummer in particular pushes Sonny to some very strong playing.

3. A Monk tune played by vibes, guitar, bass, drums and piano. Solid straight ahead swinging track. The guitar and vibes in particular were impressive.

4. Before the tune has been playing for even ten seconds the drummer has grabbed my attention. He/she is really pushing the saxophonist, who in the beginning seems content to proceed at his own pace. Very interesting saxophonist. Although the saxophonist sounds familiar I am not sure who it is. Very nice!

5. Woody Shaw live performance that I am pretty certain I have. Similar to the Rollins, I will leave the details to myself since I think it is a performance that I seeded on Sharing the Groove, where I think Tom obtained it from. I love it. Excellent.

6. I am pretty sure this is a Herbie Hancock tune. I like the fresh interpretation of a tune that has been played numerous times. The theme is never state outright, but it is implied. Could be the Jack DeJohnette trio with Hancock and Dave Holland.

CD 2

#1 There's a Dollar Brand vibe to that bass line... Johnny Dyani, Cecil McBee? Wow this one's great! Love it!

#2 "St. Thomas", by Rollins himself, I guess, recorded live in the late fifties? Terriffic! Thanks for sharing this stuff, Tom!

#3 "Straight No Chaser". Pretty good. This one's much about the guitar player, and he's good! I've got the feeling I should know some of the musicians involved on this one... Vibraphone does sound familiar, too, and bass sounds a lot like Steve Swallow, as much, in fact, that I think it IS Steve Swallow playing here...

#4 "Bye Bye Blackbird". Very nice alto sound! This might be a bit boring but again I think this could be Lee Konitz? But does get a bit wild at a few points, so I'm not sure. Also the sound is a bit fuller than what I'd expect of Konitz. Another great one, for sure. king ubu loves this disc!!! And how beautifully they "slip" into "Naima"!

#5 Don't post anything on this one, got a feeling I have that one as well... gotta check first]

#6 Woody Shaw? He's who the sound of this one reminds me of, not just the trumpet, but the whole band. Not really sure, but it could be well be him. Love it! The rhythm section is great, I love the loose playing of the drummer, and the comping of the pianist, and the sound of the anchor-man on bass (McBee?). Jefferson or R. McLean on soprano? Is this the Hayes-Shaw group? Or is Victor Lewis on drums? Should listen much more often to my Shaw CDs!

HUGE THANKS Tom for compiling such a great pair of discs! While CD#1 has some very nice things, this CD#2 might be my favourite ever BFT disc so far! Love it, really!

ubu

The drummer was the leader? Maybe. I didn't know if it that's the case, as that's not how it was identified to me!

Ronald, I'm at a loss as to why your disk had 5 and 6 switched around. Very strange.

If it's the same recording I know, it's from a festival that presented the drummer as artist in residence, last year. He's not really the leader, but it was him who picked the band.

Disc 2

Bit more my style here though on disc 2 and a few recognisable folks (rare for me)

1. Love this style. Sounds a bit Strata East and 70's. Lots of energy and a lovely live sound. Need to hear more.

2. Doesnt need any intro from me and by the sound its late 50's ? Lovely to hear something I've heard loads of times live and stretched out. Interested to hear who else is on this

3. Definitely Swallow on bass. Doorbells would suggest an all star Burton reunion concert appearance Metheny (surely not), Corea? not that I can recognise them...

4. Nice alto though again no idea who this is

5. Interesting and makes me think of a Bley/Oxley album though I'm sure this isn't that or them really bit too technical and unfeeling for me.

6. Woody Shaw I'm sure, somehow the arrangements give this away, great!

Very interesting disc and again a few things I'll go back to

Cheers

c