Saw Jamal trio, Bangor ME, last Friday

Jazzdog

Unfortunately the passes didn't come in the mail until the day after the show! :(

Anyways, the show was fantsatic, James Kammack (?) on bass and Idris on drums. The way Ahmad pulled the trio through each tune was simply a joy to watch, and his control of dynamics is something I had never seen done quite as eloquently. The trio did two pretty decently long sets before an enthusiastic crowd. I aint none too good at describing music, but I really really, really, really REALLY loved this show.

One of the things Jamal does extremely well, aside from the aforementioned, is take things to a level in which the band could, given the chance, get lost in the improvisation, he brings them back down to earth and a seemingly effortless way. Even the drum solos were note perfect. Even Kammack, whom I had never seen or heard before but heard of, was seamless in the transitions pulled out all kinds of crazy double stops, allowing Ahmad and Idris to interact, while telling stories of his own. Does this make any kind of sense?

I had a very nice week in Maine, 10 days actually, but I am OOHHH so glad to be back home! :)

Jazzdog: I caught Jamal at Yoshi's earlier this year and he was terrific. Muhammad was with him but I don't recall who was on bass. I wanted to see him in a smaller venue because I saw him a couple years ago at SF Jazz and wondered if the dynamic would be different in a smaller venue. In both cases, he was magnificent. I have not seen him before SF Jazz. I probably wrote a review somewhere. Jamal and Muhammad are two favorites of mine that go back to when I was a young.

Maine's a long way to go for a concert. :D

He is coming in to his hometown city of Pittsburgh this week. I am soooooo excited. I had other chances to see him in DC as he has had a custom of reigning in the New Year every year for the last few years at Blues Alley - but I never did.

I have all these disparate recordings of his. And I know how Miles would praise him so effusively. The only "essential" recording of his I have is "Live at the Pershing: Vol 1."

Seeing him for the first time in his hometown is gonna be especially neat. I hope to get him on the phone for my radio show, but I know he is an elusive cat - one who rarely gives any sort of interviews. Also, it's not like one needs to plug an Ahmad Jamal show or even a 4-day residency as is the case here at Manchester Craftsmen's Guild (MCG Jazz)

Matt

Edited by cannonball-addict

The show was actually at the University of Maine, what town is that in? I forget. Anyways, I was staying just by North of Bangor, where my girlfriends parents own a house up on Pushaw Lake. Yes it was a long way to go, but it wasn't planned, he just happened to be there when I was! ;)

The show was actually at the University of Maine, what town is that in? I forget. Anyways, I was staying just by North of Bangor, where my girlfriends parents own a house up on Pushaw Lake. Yes it was a long way to go, but it wasn't planned, he just happened to be there when I was! ;)

most likely it was Orono then.