Album of the Week: Sept. 26 - Oct. 2

John B

I've been "tapped on the shoulder" by Steve to do the Album of the Week for September 26th through October 2nd.

f57081d74cm.jpg

I have chosen Rudresh Mahanthappa's Black Water as it is a fairly recent disc that is readily available, and that, imo, a lot of people here would really enjoy if they had a chance to hear it.

It features Mahanthappa on alto, Vijay Iyer on piano, Francois Moutin on bass and Elliot Humberto Kavee on drums. Both Mahanthappa and Iyer top my list for recent "up and coming" players. They both have amazing technique and write some great tunes.

In my opinion this is a fantastic album! It really reminds me, in a way, of the Pullen / Adams discs I have heard in its ability to stretch the boundaries of "in the pocket" post-bop playing while never going too far "out."

Edited by John B

Oh no, not another CD to add to my get list...

But I have also been following Vijay Iyer. I've got Memorophilia, Blood Sutra and In What Language? Language is kind of a concept album about airports. Blood Sutra is the better album in terms of musicianship. Anyway, this is off topic, sorry...

Oh no, not another CD to add to my get list...

But I have also been following Vijay Iyer. I've got Memorophilia, Blood Sutra and In What Language? Language is kind of a concept album about airports. Blood Sutra is the better album in terms of musicianship. Anyway, this is off topic, sorry...

You should grab Panoptic Modes, too. That is up there with Blood Sutra in terms of quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard it in the music library at my school's radio station. It was mistakedly in the R section. The recording quality is SUPERB. And the interaction between the sidemen and the leader is like ESP. It's wacky.

This alto player will never achieve notoreity though unless he changes his name. Miroslav Vitous is one thing, but Rudresh Mahanthappa is an entirely different story. Or he could form a band with Iyer that would have some catchy name like OUI (Out of India). But then again we Americans would have a hard time with that one.

Name issues aside, this record KILLS

I have to admit that the first time through, Black Water didn't grab me that much. I'm sure that is mostly because I have the volume fairly low.

I did get Panoptic Modes and like that a lot. Best of all, I must have gotten a copy that was originally for a radio station. They suggest some cuts to play (9, 6 and 2), and then helpfully provided a pronunciation guide -- VID-jay EYE-yur.

This alto player will never achieve notoreity though unless he changes his name.

He did. When I went to school with him at North Texas (he lived a few doors down from me at Bruce Hall), he just went by Rudy. But now that he's more emphatically identifying with his roots, he's using his full name. Here's how you pronounce his last name:

muh-HAHN-thuh-puh

After two years at North Texas, Rudy transferred to Berklee, and his chops have only gotten better.

• 5 weeks later...