Free America

cayetano

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's finally official???

I met a guy from Universal France in Paris back in January at a Wayne concert, and he told me about this reissue series. He asked me to hold off on mentioning it until it was officially announced, and that he would send me an e-mail. Of course, I never got the e-mail.

Anyway, I know the Alan Shorter America title is one of the ones coming out and I'm all over that one. Don't know the other titles.

Bertrand.

Based on Mike Fitzgerald's site, I'd say the candidates are these, and one or two can be easily ruled out (Dona Lee [sic] already on CD, the Bley blocked by Coleman, the Ayler, whatever that is, licensed from Fantasy, the Coursil already on CD):

6098 Art Ensemble Of Chicago Certain Blacks 1970

6099 Archie Shepp & Chicago Beau Black Gipsy 1969

6100 Albert Ayler Free Jazz Fantasy 6016 1963

6102 Archie Shepp & Philly Joe Jones Archie Shepp & Philly Joe Jones 1969

6103 Archie Shepp Coral Rock 1970

6104 Frank Wright Quartet Uhuru Na Umoja 1970

6106 Archie Shepp Pitchin Can 1969,70

6108 Noah Howard & Frank Wright Space Dimension 1970

6111 Jacques Coursil Black Suite 1969

6112 Arthur Jones Scorpio 1969

6113 Clifford Thornton The Panther And The Lash 1970

6114 Roswell Rudd Featuring John Tchicai 1965

6115 Dave Burrell After Love 1970

6116 Art Ensemble Of Chicago Phase One 1971

6118 Alan Shorter Tes Esat

6120 Paul Bley The Fabulous Paul Bley Quintet 1958

6121 Paul Bley Improvisie 1971

6122 Anthony Braxton Dona Lee 1972

6123 Robin Kenyatta Free State Band 1972

6125 Steve Lacy Quintet The Gap 1972

6144 Chick Corea Quartet 1971

011-012 Anthony Braxton Saxophone Improvisations, Series F [2LP] 1972

I have a few of these, notably the excellent CORAL ROCK, on Prestige LPs, and although the production quality is often "rough", the music is full of vim, vigah, and vitaliky. I'll be looking forward to these!

BTW - the Mingus stuff made it to a Prestige 24000 thing that I never picked up. It's from his "sedated" period, and didn't do too much for me then. But I'd love to have it now...

Based on Mike Fitzgerald's site, I'd say the candidates are these, and one or two can be easily ruled out (Dona Lee [sic] already on CD, the Bley blocked by Coleman, the Ayler, whatever that is, licensed from Fantasy, the Coursil already on CD):

The Ayler was a reissue of "My Name Is Albert Ayler". The America Bley/Coleman was on a Musidisc cd - I have a copy. The record Ornette successfully stopped was the one Bley issued on IAI titled "Coleman Classics - volume 1". There are 2 Mal Waldron dates and I think at least the one with the Lacy band is a candidate. You can scratch the Corea record - it is just another incarnation of the Sonny Lester "out takes and alternates".

Hi listmembers,

based on infos supplied from dustygroove`s "forthcoming releases" site the america rerelease cd`s should be :

1) Art Ensemble Of Chicago -- Art Ensemble Of Chicago With Fontella Bass -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Great stuff recorded by the Art Ensemble in Paris -- and only briefly issued in the US by Prestige during the early 70s. The band is in great form, with a lot more fire than on later recordings, and they're joined by Fontella Bass -- the famous 60s soul singer who was also the wife of Lester Bowie. The album features two long tracks -- "How Strange/Ole Jed" and "Horn Web" -- both of which feature a stunning array of instruments and percussion!

2) Art Ensemble Of Chicago -- Certain Blacks -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

One of the great ones by the Art Ensemble, and another French session that captures the group at the height of their powers! The centerpiece is the amazing "Certain Blacks", which has a beautiful mix of politics and jazz, in the best tradition of the AACM. The other 2 cuts on the record are "One For Jarman" and "Bye Bye Baby", and the group's augmented by Chicago Beau and Julio Finn.

3) Art Ensemble Of Chicago -- Phase One -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Recorded in France in 1971, and released by Prestige in the states in 1973. This set features the Art Ensemble at the height of their powers, and includes two long tracks -- "Ohnedaruth" and "Lebert Aaly", their tribute to the late Albert Ayler. Since the tracks are long, the LP's got that mix of quiet bits, out bits, and rhythmic bits that was gracing a lot of their longer performances from the time. Each of the band members play at least a half a dozen instruments or so, and the set's got a widely varying sound throughout.

4) Paul Bley -- Improvisie -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Pretty rare recording of Bley in a different trio setting than we've heard him inelsewhere, with free drummer Han Bennink and Anette Peacock on voice and synthesizer. The first side is a free improv, with Bley on electric piano and synthesizer, so the tonalities are as out as the playing, which is generally quite spacious and dynamic, though hardly quiet. The second side is Peacock tune "Touching", very much in the vein though of the totally free first side. A unique recording for Bley and Bennink.

5) Anthony Braxton -- Dona Lee -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

One of Braxton's hardest to find French recordings -- and a pretty out set of tracks that has him working with a quartet that features Michael Smith on piano, Oliver Jackson on drums, and Peter Warren on bass. Braxton plays alto on the set, and most of the album is pretty freely creative -- more in tune with his roots in the AACM than later work in the 70s. Includes versions of "Dona Lee" and "You Go To My Head", plus Braxton compositions

6) Anthony Braxton -- Saxophone Improvisations Series F -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Braxton performs a set of saxophone improvisations with he formulated in the late 60s and early 70s. The pieces included are "BWC-12 N-48K", "NR-12-C(33M)", "JMK-80 CFN-7", and "RFO-M F(32)".

7) Dave Burrell -- After Love -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Mid-December, 2004

8) Emergency -- Homage To Peace -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Obscure batch of progressive out jazz tracks, cut by a group that features Glenn Spearman on saxes, Takashi Kako on piano, Bob Reid on bass, Boulou on guitar, and Sabu Toyozumi on drums. The tracks are long, and the record's a great exposure to Spearman's classic (and classically underrecorded) talent on the reeds. Includes a version of the Art Ensemble's "People In Sorrow", plus "Emergency Theme", "Kako Tune", and "Infidels".

9) Steve Lacy -- Gap -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Mid-December, 2004

10) Roswell Rudd -- Roswell Rudd Quartet -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

One of the rarest albums by avant trombonist Roswell Rudd -- and one of the best! This little gem was cut during the glory days of the Paris free jazz scene -- and it features Rudd leading a quartet with John Tchicai on alto, Louis Moholo on drums, and Finn Von Eyben on bass. The sound is similar to some of the excellent early work that Rudd and Tchicai cut in the New York Contemporary Five -- with that New York "new thing" style that's always been one of our favorite moments in the development of the jazz avant garde. Titles include "Jabulani", "Respects", "Old Stuff", and "Sweet Smells".

11) Archie Shepp -- Black Gypsy -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Original issue of this classic French free material by Shepp, with the kind of loose collective righteous party feel that graced some of his other recordings from the time. The session features work by Sonny Murray, Clifford Thornton, Chicago Beau, Noah Howard, and Dave Burrell. Two long tracks -- "Black Gypsy" and "Epitaph Of A Small Winner".

12) Clifford Thornton -- Panther & The Lash -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Arguably the best session ever by Clifford Thornton -- and a darn tough record to find! The album features Thornton leading a smallish combo -- with French players Francois Tusques on piano and balafon and Beb Guerin on percussion -- plus Noel McGhee on percussion. Thornton himself plays coronet, trombone, and piano -- and the tracks include "Huey is Free", "El Fath", and "Right On!".

13) Mal Waldron/Steve Lacy -- Mal Waldron with the Steve Lacy Quinte -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

What a great idea! Mal Waldron's piano provides a perfect grounding for the sometimes flighty Lacy French Quintet of the 70s -- the one that featured Steve Potts on alto, Kent Carter on bass, Noel McGhee on drums, and Irene Aebi on cello (not vocals!) Waldron's free comping on the keys acts as a strong foil for Lacy's unbridled alto playing, and the overall sound of the record is pretty darn great. Side one features a 20 minute version of Waldron's "Vio" -- and side 2 features two Lacy compositions, "Jump For Victor" and "Blue Wee".

14) Frank Wright -- Uhuru Na Umoja -- Limited Numbered Edition . . . CD . . . Around December 20, 2004

Brilliant work -- one of Frank Wright's rare French-only sessions, a hard-edged set featuring Noah Howard on alto, Bobby Few on piano, and Art Taylor on drums. The group is free -- but with a focused intensity that blows away most of the other French sessions from the time -- carving sheer, raw, slices of sound, in a manner that recalls the best ESP sides of the mid 60s. Few's piano is cacophonously joyous -- and Wright and Howard duke it out with unflappable energy in the frontline. Titles include "Oriental Mood", "Being", "Pluto", and "Grooving".

The fifteenth cd is obviously Alan Shorter. Actually i wished to see on or other different titled rereleased, but that`s down to my personal taste.

Cheers, Emil

Quote from Dennis Hastert:

'I don't know how David Ayers made his first billion. I [we] umhhh ... umhhh. [We] I really don't know. I'm not saying he has an in with drug dealers. I don't know if he always takes advantage of that 'win 100 euros if you're the first to review this CD' from amazon.fr. I just don't know'.

Bertrand.

Quote from Dennis Hastert:

'I don't know how David Ayers made his first billion. I [we] umhhh ... umhhh. [We] I really don't know. I'm not saying he has an in with drug dealers. I don't know if he always takes advantage of that 'win 100 euros if you're the first to review this CD' from amazon.fr. I just don't know'.

Bertrand.

I'm a man of mystery.

• 4 weeks later...

Up!

Thanks to Hans and Chuck for pointing me to this thread :)

As mentioned on my other thread (which I have now deleted), these CDs will be available in german stores (jpc.de, amazon.de) on December 7, at full price (17 Euro).

Edited by Claude

"Franck" -- didn't even notice that! Anyone have a link to any of the original covers?

I'll probably be picking up quite a few of these — am most excited about the Rudd session with John Tchicai. Any guesses as to whether these will be jewel case or digi-pack? (Not that I'll be deterred one way or another.)

• 2 weeks later...

"Franck" -- didn't even notice that! Anyone have a link to any of the original covers?

I'll probably be picking up quite a few of these — am most excited about the Rudd session with John Tchicai. Any guesses as to whether these will be jewel case or digi-pack? (Not that I'll be deterred one way or another.)

Digipacks. Universal France website says these will be limited editions.