Free America

cayetano

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late, is that your personal Free America altar or what? ;)

Tony: loved your posts! Stay away from "Circles", a recent Fantasy Bley reissue full of more early synth music! (I liked that one, but haven't come around to listen to the Free America Bley yet.)

Lon: my Shepp is ok, too. It's a terrific recording! I really really like it! It has that sixties Black thing to it, much more so than the earlier Impulses. That blues shouter/raconteur is pretty cool, and so are Shepp and Noah Howard on saxophones, and Dave Burrell on piano. And Sonny Murray helps big time, too!

Please don't hold it for me Tony. . . I'm way over extended at the moment.

Flurin, thanks for weighing in re: the Shepp defect. Guess it's just my copy!

Lon, your post about how good it is made me want to listen to it immediately, so thanks to you, too! It's a great disc!

Re: the Braxton disc

There´s a mistake (at least I think there is) in the liner notes by Phillipe Carles. When he´s describing the second version of "You go to my head", he states:

...Braxton moves rapidly from the alto saxophone to the flute, then to the soprano and the bass clarinet (on which he was to assert himself as one of the instrument´s rare users, notably producing sounds close to those made possible by electronic instrument-makers)...

Well, the discographical information on the back cover lists Braxton playing contrabass clarinet. And the photo on that back cover is Braxton playing contrabass clarinet.

Just an aside note. ^_^

Contrabass clarinet

Bass clarinet

Listening to the Bley -- first time -- right now. Bley, Annette Peacock and Han Bennink. How bad can it be?

:ph34r:

Still on track one. Amazing (but maybe not) how poorly the sounds created by electronic instruments age. I'm guessing this sounded fresh for maybe 15 minutes after it was recorded. And hearing it today? Not advisable and not necessary.

13 minutes into track 2 and Bennink locks into a much needed groove, of sorts. Doesn't last long, though. OY!

Must ... have ...

:w

(You're into large print books too? The guys you meet on this board ... )

I have it playing this very micro-second (track: "Jabulani").

Fellas, the sound ain't bad. Nothing worse than what a person would expect from, say, ESP or BYG. Proceed without caution! I think it was Sidewinder here (or was it Clunky?) who introduced me to this word: stonkin'.

That's what it is: stonkin'. Even Martha Stewart, who now too is free, would like this one.

Edited by Late

I have it playing this very micro-second (track: "Jabulani").

Fellas, the sound ain't bad. Nothing worse than what a person would expect from, say, ESP or BYG. Proceed without caution! I think it was Sidewinder here (or was it Clunky?) who introduced me to this word: stonkin'.

That's what it is: stonkin'. Even Martha Stewart, who now too is free, would like this one.

Cool, will do. Thanks.

Even Martha Stewart, who now too is free, would like this one.

Martha is still confined to her home, in fact just as confined as the sound on the Rudd disc. ;)

OK, maybe you got me there.

The Rudd disc certainly doesn't have "great" sound by any stretch, but the music is so good that it just doesn't matter.

Martha used to play the trombone in 8th grade.

How is the version of 'People in Sorrow' on the Emergency 'Homage to Peace'? I think this is a beautiful tune - I'd really love to hear how it's done by a group other than the AEC!

It's beautiful. Sabu Toyozumi studied with the AEC, and has done the tune on his albums - namely, Message to Chicago (Trio).

I don't understand what the deal is with fidelity complaints on that record - it's one of the better-sounding radio tapes I've ever heard, for sure, and the music is probably the best Rudd and Tchicai recorded together.

The sound is ok - no reason to ignore the date, BUT no way would I say this is the best Rudd/Tchicai recording. Mohawk is a masterpiece of group music thanks to all the players. The masterful drumming of Milford Graves interacting with the others is a big part of the equation. Mohawk is a mofo! The ESP disc is fine too.