BFT # 18 - Disc 2

mikeweil

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comin' in late but I dug Disc 2 a heckuva lot more than Disc 1.

Just a few guesses:

#1: Ain't this Bag's Groove? I keep thinking it is but then not ... so maybe it isn't. Like it a whole lot though.

#3: Chaloff?

#13: Tal.

#16: Jacquet?

Thanks Mike! This disc will be getting many more plays.

1) Walkin' bass line with swankily Manne-ish drums.

Aiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :(

Care to elaborate? Shelly my guess should not make ye of infinite knowledge sad??

No. I was just refering to the concept of Manne-ish drums. Sounds like man-ish. So it sounded a little funny. No?

that cannot be. if one thing, the man with the iron clad fist is never funny.

or is he? :unsure:

nah! ;)

So you want interim results?

Here we go:

Disc 2:

# 1 - guessed

# 2 - guessed

# 3 - this was believed to be Leo Parker on baritone, but a recent reissue cleared up who the soloist really was; his name has not been dropped so far. He was not the leader, BTW.

# 4 - now who is it?

# 5 - JSngry sleuthed this one, but brownie has the disc ..... ;)

# 6 - guessed

# 7 - the musical director was mentioned, but not in connection with this track

# 8 - guessed

# 9 - this is a hard one, the leader is the same as on another track in close proximity on the disc

# 10 - it is O.P. and another cellist, but who? (not Ray Brown)

# 11 - guessed

# 12 - well ... the first appearance of a certain pianist (not the leader)

# 13 - guessed - the second appearance

# 14 - you'll never get this one :g

# 15 - hahaha .... (this album is on one of the sites Jim R has linked)

# 16 - Louis Jordan, but which track?

# 17 - I thought brownie or couw would have the CD I took this from - think Paris (one of the musicians on this track is the only one who appears on both CDs)

# 18 - brownie got this one :tup

# 19 - JSngry is on the right track, but no rabbits here

# 20 - guessed, but the cover version loomed large here

# 21 - it's Tjader, but .... (third appearance of mystery pianist)

# 22 - guessed

# 23 - guessed

BTW, there are four musicians appearing on three tracks here. All but the pianist are the leader on at least one of the dates.

One arranger did five here, he was mentioned.

Edited by mikeweil

WAAIIITTTT a second!!!! Mike's trying to trick us here, I betcha: the OTHER mystery player on three tracks is Cal Tjader, but on ONE track he's playing DRUMS!!!! I'm gonna guess that ONE of these tracks is probably from that Brubeck Octet record which I don't own, but lists Tjader on drums.

So, WHICH IS IT????????? AIEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

From mikeweil:

# 10 - it is O.P. and another cellist, but who? (not Ray Brown)

Damn you, Mike :excited:

There is an Imperial double cello session with Harry Babasin recorded for Imperial and reissued on IAJRC but I never heard the four sides recorded that day!

So you want to tell me there is some O.P. that I have in my collection and you have not? :g

Edited by mikeweil

So you want to tell me there is some O.P. that I have in my collection and you have not? :g

I'm sure there are a number of Pettiford dates that grace your collection and that are missing from mine!

But I did see Pettiford in the flesh. At the Chat Qui Peche in particular. And with Lucky Thompson, no less. Now you can be jealous :g

# 15 - hahaha .... (this album is on one of the sites Jim R has linked)

?... Well, I linked three sites: a Fats Navarro discography when I answered #8; and two Guaraldi sites. Closest thing I could find was a Guaraldi quartet track called "Calling Dr. Funk" (from that "Jazz Scene: S.F." disc), but it appears to be a bit too long (6:55), and I couldn't find an audio sample that would work for me...

=====

Edit: ... and apparently "Dr. Funk" included Jerry Dodgion, so forget I mentioned that... <_<

Edited by Jim R

Forgot to mention- Guaraldi has to be the mystery pianist- #12, 13, and 21 (thanks for the helpful clues, Mike :rolleyes: ).

A tip o' the hat to Nate Dorward, who said of #12: "I get the feeling we may have heard the pianist several times during the BFT"

=====

I'm still trying to figure out why in the world such a beautiful instrumental (#22) got stuck on as a CD bonus track onto a vocalese disc. Did it come from the same sessions that produced those vocal tracks? Anyway, neither the Fantasy site (nor their printed catalog) nor AMG mentions this track in any detail in their descriptions- including telling us who played on it. :tdown

Edited by Jim R

Here goes for disc 2, on which I don't believe I distinguished myself :huh: Now I'll read everyone else's buckets of insight and knowledge and kick myself.

1. This is the real deal. In the pocket, very tasty arrangement. The tenor player sounds very familiar but I can't put a name on him.

2. A more laidback treatment of a similar theme. Real cool. I ought to know that pianist--I'm sure I know that player well, but the name won't come.

3. The baritone player is not someone I recognize, and it seems to be 40's/early 50's, so I'll guess... Leo Parker? Serge Chaloff? I haven't listened to either of them enough to recognize them. The band is more like Basie than Duke but that's as far as I'll go.

4. Damn, I recognize that clarinetist! That vibrato. The trumpeter and his big fat sound and attack--I know him, too. And is that Ben Webster? Could this be a Ducal gathering? Bigard, Nance, Webster?

5. Johnny Hodges on alto. And the muted trumpet sounds Ducal, too. Maybe Nance again, giving these two selections a theme. Don't know the singer, but she's the kind Duke liked to hire (i.e. not too memorable).

6. Definitely the Ellington band. Not Hodges soloing on alto, though. No idea what the tune is.

EDIT: Ouch! Is my face red! I was so intent on my fantasized Ducal connection on 4-6 that I barely listened to the alto solo. And this still sounds Dukish to me. How will I show my face here again?

7. "How High the Moon," by a cookin' Latin big band. Dizzy's, with Latin percussion? Or a Latin band, with jazz soloists? Machito?

8. Mulliganesque baritone. Parker copycat on alto. Maybe Lars Gullin on baritone. (Hey, if you're going to guess, guess.)

9. That violin really throws me off. A brooding performance, not really up my alley. No clue.

10. Bass and cello? Hmmm. I seem to recall Sam Jones and Ron Carter doing something. Also Oscar Pettiford on cello with a bassist. But I don't know.

11. The drummer sounds a lot like Max, but the solo is a little bit too four-on-the-floor, maybe.

12. Not bad, but this could be more graceful rhythmically, in the soloists' phrasing. It's a little hemmed in by the beat.

13. No idea. Pretty arrangement and playing but nothing really grabs me.

14. Kind of bombastic treatment of "I'll Remember April." Other than the infectious beat, this doesn't do it for me.

15. Nice and bluesy. I think I'm familiar with that bassist - Milt Hinton?

16. That kind of contained screaming sound, on the verge of multiphonics, and the r&b sound make me think Earl Bostic, but I'm not sure he had that Bechet-like vibrato like this guy does at times. No idea.

17. Somehow I don't think this is the MJQ, despite many of their hallmarks. No idea.

18. Two violins? Stuff Smith and somebody else. But heeeey, wait a minute. That's a cello, not a second violin! NO idea. Cute little number, though.

19. They talk the talk, they walk the walk. Illinois Jacquet?

20. Sounds like John Mayall in the 1960's. Clapton on guitar, or else another of those English blues guitar heroes of the period. I dig this stuff.

21. How many vibraphonists does this make it so far? I didn't know there were that many! The arrangement is a little mechanical, with even a minimalist vibe to it, but they make it groove. No idea who it is.

22. Gorgeous! My favorite piece on the whole two CDs. Ben Webster, maybe, or someone in his school, and a beautiful, full, trombone.

23. King Pleasure. Love this too. Georgie Fame did a version of this with Jon Hendricks in the 80's in which he sang "I'm gone, Uncle Jon, don't you know I'm gone".

Edited by Tom Storer

Forgot to mention- Guaraldi has to be the mystery pianist- #12, 13, and 21 (thanks for the helpful clues, Mike :rolleyes: ).

A tip o' the hat to Nate Dorward, who said of #12: "I get the feeling we may have heard the pianist several times during the BFT"

You're right Jim, Vince Guaraldi is the piansit appearing on disc 2 three times, on the tracks you listed. Tip o' the hat to Nate's ears from me, too!

I should have been more precise in my reference to your links: I am talking about the two Guaraldi sites you linked.