Your favorite TENOR player on the scene today

Rooster_Ties

Please help me fill in the birth years of anybody missing.

Mike, you need Gary Thomas on that list. He was born on June 10th, 1961 (according the AMG).

And looking through all the names mentioned so far in this thread, I'm torn between saying Gary Thomas and Chris Potter (they're tied for my #1 slot), and I'd rank Mark Turner and Ravi Coltrane nearly up there too.

Speaking of which... how the hell could we have missed Ravi Coltrane up until this point in this thread???? :blink::blink::blink:

OK, my top four are Thomas, Potter, Turner, and Coltrane (Ravi).

(And hey Mike!! - For your list, Ravi was born on Aug. 6th, 1965 -- again, according to the AMG.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's a good place to start with Mark Turner?

I haven't been blown away by his own recordings (at least the two I've heard, but haven't bought -- just sampled and/or borrowed and listened to).

But I heard him once (live, with Dave Douglas), and was blown away. He was subbing for Chris Potter, and was reading most of the music -- but still did an incredible job, especially given the complex charts Dave had at the time (his "Magic Triangle" piano-less quartet, that kind of material).

But come to think of it -- I don't really have much Mark Turner on disc (any??) -- but he left such a strong impression on me at the time, I guess I've held him in higher reguard than perhaps the recorded evidence would justify. (A buddy of mine is a big Mark Turner fan too, so perhaps that's rubbed off on me too.)

Oh shit, here's another name that definitely needs to be on the list -- and I've got several of his discs, and some sideman dates of his too.

That's Greg Tardy. I've heard him twice here in Kansas City, leading his own groups. And he's played and recorded with Andrew Hill quite a bit, ever since Hill's "Dusk" from 2000.

Tardy's a monster, and should be much better known. I have three of his discs, and all three are great!!

I don't know when he was born (not in the AMG, no bio either :( ), but he can't be any more than 35 years old, at the very most. And probably closer to 30, would be my guess.

Yeah, Seamus Blake is nice!

But does anybody here know anything about one Steve Hall - he played tenor alongside Blake on Kevin Hays' 1995 Blue Note CD "go round". He has a fantsatic, huge sound - but I can't seem to find any other recording?!?!

I have that disc. It's oop. I like Hall alot on it. That disc also has Daniel Sadownick before he was the in-demand auxiliary percussionist he is now. He is part of Nicholas Payton's Sonic Trance and a number of other big name bands. But I digress

Edited by cannonball-addict

Oh shit, here's another name that definitely needs to be on the list -- and I've got several of his discs, and some sideman dates of his too.

That's Greg Tardy. I've heard him twice here in Kansas City, leading his own groups. And he's played and recorded with Andrew Hill quite a bit, ever since Hill's "Dusk" from 2000.

Tardy's a monster, and should be much better known. I have three of his discs, and all three are great!!

I don't know when he was born (not in the AMG, no bio either :( ), but he can't be any more than 35 years old, at the very most. And probably closer to 30, would be my guess.

I agree Greg Tardy is an excellent tenor player. My introduction to him were his burning solos on Dave Douglas' Soul on Soul (the Mary Lou Williams tribute from 2000) alongside another tenorist mentioned above - Chris Speed.

I just interviewed David Sanchez a week ago for AAJ and I did a mini BFT with him in the hotel and I played one of the songs which Tardy solos on and he thought it was Chris Potter.

Again I reiterate - if you're a saxophone player and you hear some hip shit - you're gonna have Chris Potter on your mind.

I like a number of the new ones. They just ain't in a Prez/Hawk/Coltrane/Rollins/Ayler frame.

Rollins was 26 when he put out 'Saxophone Colossus'. Any of the current ones recorded an equivalent album yet?

That was a different time.

I think that's what Brownie meant.

For sheer brilliance, I have to go with James Carter. I don't always like what he decides to play, but that man has a streak of sheer musical genius in him.

*Thread hijack warning*

I'm just not clear on what an equivalent album to Saxophone Colossus would be, exactly. Would we recognize it as such?

I was around when 'Saxophone Colossus' was released and - along with a lot of people - was taken over by the sheer brillance. Same thing with John Coltrane's first albums. And then when Albert Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' exploded.

Is there any album by one of the current saxophonists that hit you in the face the same way those did in their time? I have not but would love to hear one.

You know I would have to go with Craig Handy. I had no idea he was so unsung, not mentioned once here. I've seen him live with Herbie Hancock, Roy Haynes and Freddie Hubbard and I haven't heard a better tenor player in the past ten years. I heard Steve Hall with Wallace Roney once. I believe he does have one CD out. Maybe it's self-produced.

*Thread hijack warning*

I'm just not clear on what an equivalent album to Saxophone Colossus would be, exactly. Would we recognize it as such?

I was around when 'Saxophone Colossus' was released and - along with a lot of people - was taken over by the sheer brillance. Same thing with John Coltrane's first albums. And then when Albert Ayler's 'Spiritual Unity' exploded.

Is there any album by one of the current saxophonists that hit you in the face the same way those did in their time? I have not but would love to hear one.

No, there aren't any

*Thread hijack warning*

james carter - chasin the gypsy.

WOW! B-)

Ed Wilkerson. Hands down. For these chronoparameters, nobody else comes close. The guy's got everything I like in terms of spirit and fundamental facility, and doesn't sound like yesterday AT ALL. Helluva player, helluva composer, and helluva bandleader. Truthfully, the first Ethnic Heritage Ensemble album w/Wilkerson & Douglas Ewart on the front line (THREE GENTLEMEN FROM CHICAGO, on Moers) hit me pretty powerful, the way those aforementioned great albums of yore did.

I much dig Ricky Ford, too. I think he must be clinical or something, but I love what it does to his playing. That side he did w/Yusef is some of the most delightfully WACK tenor playing I've ever heard. Yet he can play changes too! :g:g:g

I was intrigued by Ned Goold on THE FLOWS. Don't know how (or if) his things going to develop, but it's at a pretty interesting place now. We'll see...

Also, don't know how old Mario Rivera is, but he made an impression w/a Tito Puente band about 20 years ago that still remains. No-nonsense playing, plenty of information in his playing, none of it cheap. Can't say that I've heard too much of him, but that one night still sticks.

David Boykin out of Chicago shows promise. Keep an eye on him.

James Carter is somebody to watch (and I am), but whether he's a player or a freak show has yet to be determined. In the old days, he's still be working sideman gigs in road bands, and getting the worst of his tendencies beat out of him the old-fashioned way. But like somebody said, it's a different time. Which is not necesarily a good thing, even if it is the reality of the situation.

A definite "yes" to Ed Wilkerson, as player and composer, though the last few times I've heard Eight Bold Souls that band seemed pretty frayed, and not just around the edges.

Agree that David Boykin is promising, but I don't think he pays quite enough attention to what he's actually playing -- so much pretty good stuff seems to just flow out so juicily that he can come across as satisfied when IMO he ought to be more concerned with pushing things to a higher level (in terms of tightness/focus of thought, intensity etc.). Strikes me, I guess, as a things come to easy to him guy.

Ned Goold (haven't head "The Flows" but know some of his other stuff) is one weird dude. Talk about a "system"! But, Jim, doesn't he strike you as more than a bit retro in a kind of alternate-world manner? It's as though JR Monterose had been the dominant stylist of the modern era (rather than Rollins, Trane, or Wayne), and the ride cymbal beat of c. 1955 Art Taylor (on a very subued day for him, too) were the agreed-upon limit in terms of polyrhythms or energy. (BTW, I hope you know what I mean about JR. A wonderful player, but if Goold's resemblence to him is not accidental -- it could be, but I don't think so, given the distinct resemblance of the charts of Goold's sometime compatriot bassist/composer Ben Wolfe to that mid-1950s ambience -- then it strikes me, again, as very alternate-worldish, as though one of today's would-be hot young alto players sounded like he'd sprung from the brow of, say, Lennie Niehaus, or even Pete Brown.

Chris Potter - hands down. If you're a saxophone player, you've gotta acknowledge at least that he's top 5. But he's my #1. Then Mark Turner, then David Sanchez then Billy Pierce (I think he's still under 50).

The King of Denmark thinks so too - youngest musician to recieve the JAZZPAR Prize.

I forgot about David Sanchez. I really love his music, too. I would say he is my second choice.

jazzmessenger, did you know that Sanchez is coming here to Bloomington on Oct. 21? He'll be playing at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater downtown. More information here.

Yeah, I heard that somewhere-probably jfb e-mail. Since it's Thursday, I am not sure if I can make it. I saw him last year at the Jazz Kitchen. His performance was great!

*Thread hijack warning*

james carter - chasin the gypsy.

WOW! B-)

"Chasin' the Gipsy" is one of the best recordings I have heard in last two or three years. This CD was my introduction to his music, and I was just blown away when I heard that CD. His performance was amazing when I saw him over the Labor Day weekend.

Ned Goold (haven't head "The Flows" but know some of his other stuff) is one weird dude. Talk about a "system"! But, Jim, doesn't he strike you as more than a bit retro in a kind of alternate-world manner?

Oj yeah, absolutely. That's why I added the "how/if" qualifier. Definitely a "we'll see" guy for me, although THE FLOWS caught my attention and kept it, qualifiers and all. I do fear that an over-reliance on "the system" and/or a steady gig w/Harry Connick might freeze him, but you never know...