How old are you?

ghost of miles

How old are you?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in college in Madison when Chuck Nessa sold records there...

I was in graduate school there, and met Chuck when I went by the record store and was amazed by the Art Ensemble window display, lps by Roscoe, Lester, et al.

Asking who did it, I met Chuck. (Didn't know who it was I met until telling this story online, and Chuck said it was him). Caught the AEC performing in Spring '72 at the Newman (Roman Catholic) Center just off campus.

Chuck used to run a record-store operation here in Bloomington, too. There's a guy here who hosts and performs in a weekly jazz gig here who still talks of his awe as a teenager at going in to buy AEC records, and how Chuck brought them to B-town for a concert.

Actually Michael Bourne was in charge of the concert. "Babycakes" as Mike would say.

My occupational travels moved us in an Iowa City, Chicago, Bloomington, Madison, Boston, Chicago, Whitehall adventure.

72 next month, but I realize that if I hadn't reached this advanced age I'd have missed hearing the following artists, and countless others, in person: Ellington, Louis, Bird, Pee Wee Russell, Coltrane, Monk, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Henry "Red" Allen, Willie the Lion, Miles, Clifford Brown, Dizzy's big band with Lee Morgan, Ernie Henry and Benny Golson as sidemen, Woody Herman's various Herds - beginning with the Third, Count Basie, Sammy Price, Bennie Green, Bill Harris, Buck Clayton, Charlie Ventura, Charlie Shavers, Roy Eldridge, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Lonnie Johnson, Sleepy John Estes, Lennie Tristano with Konitz and Warne Marsh, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, Pete Johnson, Mary Lou Williams, Meade Lux Lewis, John Lewis, Robert Nighthawk, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Arnett Cobb, Wardell Gray, Johnny Griffin, Archie Shepp, Marion Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Mingus, Jimmy Knepper, Pepper Adams, Gerry Mulligan with Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Sarah Vaughan, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, Eddie Condon, Wild Bill Davison, Bobby Hackett, Bud Freeman, Phil Woods, Steve Lacy, Ralph Sutton, Ruby Braff, Illinois Jacquet with Milt Buckner and Jo Jones, Jimmy Rushing, Muggsy Spanier, Joe Henderson, Carla Bley, Gil Evans, Gene Krupa, Max Kaminsky, Tony Scott, J.J.Johnson & Kai Winding, Elvin Jones, Dannie Richmond, J.C.Heard, Shadow Wilson, Cozy Cole, Shelly Manne, Cliff Leeman, Andrew Cyrille, Eddie Blackwell, Earle Warren, Tab Smith, Earl Bostic, Buddy Tate, Jay McShann, Vic Dickenson, Roswell Rudd, Tommy Flanagan, Teddy Wilson, Marian McPartland, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Dexter Gordon, Buddy DeFranco, Ornette Coleman and Dewey Redman.

Edited by Don Brown

72 next month, but I realize that if I hadn't reached this advanced age I'd have missed hearing the following artists, and countless others, in person: Ellington, Louis, Bird, Pee Wee Russell, Coltrane, Monk, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Henry "Red" Allen, Willie the Lion, Miles, Clifford Brown, Dizzy's big band with Lee Morgan, Ernie Henry and Benny Golson as sidemen, Woody Herman's various Herds - beginning with the Third, Count Basie, Sammy Price, Bennie Green, Bill Harris, Buck Clayton, Charlie Ventura, Charlie Shavers, Roy Eldridge, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Lonnie Johnson, Sleepy John Estes, Lennie Tristano with Konitz and Warne Marsh, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Art Tatum, Erroll Garner, Pete Johnson, Mary Lou Williams, Meade Lux Lewis, John Lewis, Robert Nighthawk, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Arnett Cobb, Wardell Gray, Johnny Griffin, Archie Shepp, Marion Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Mingus, Jimmy Knepper, Pepper Adams, Gerry Mulligan with Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Sarah Vaughan, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, Eddie Condon, Wild Bill Davison, Bobby Hackett, Bud Freeman, Phil Woods, Steve Lacy, Ralph Sutton, Ruby Braff, Illinois Jacquet with Milt Buckner and Jo Jones, Jimmy Rushing, Muggsy Spanier, Joe Henderson, Carla Bley, Gil Evans, Gene Krupa, Max Kaminsky, Tony Scott, J.J.Johnson & Kai Winding, Elvin Jones, Dannie Richmond, J.C.Heard, Shadow Wilson, Cozy Cole, Shelly Manne, Cliff Leeman, Andrew Cyrille, Eddie Blackwell, Earle Warren, Tab Smith, Earl Bostic, Buddy Tate, Jay McShann, Vic Dickenson, Roswell Rudd, Tommy Flanagan, Teddy Wilson, Marian McPartland, Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Dexter Gordon, Buddy DeFranco, Ornette Coleman and Dewey Redman.

wow! :excited: