Favorite ALTO player on the scene today

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Zorn?

Zorn turned 50 last year.

the question mark referred more to "favourite player" than to the age. frankly I don't really care about age... I mean, look at the tenor thread with the same topic: Wayne Shorter sounds younger and more daring at 71 than most of the players mentioned so far.

John Zorn?

Zorn turned 50 last year.

the question mark referred more to "favourite player" than to the age. frankly I don't really care about age... I mean, look at the tenor thread with the same topic: Wayne Shorter sounds younger and more daring at 71 than most of the players mentioned so far.

I agree. Today is today - who gives the fuck if a musiccian is 20 or 80?

I don't at all want to argue about this threads in general, but Chuckster is at least partially right... some of the older are among the best.

dig Charlie Mariano, for instance, te mention at least an alto player! Then there was Teddy Edwards, there still are Von Freeman and Fred Anderson, there's Wayne...

If were talking strictly for technical ability and sound on the instrument - I would have to go with Kenny Garrett. He has such incredible chops and an instantly recognizable individual sound on the alto.

However, if we are talking all around musicianship in terms of composition, ability to recruit and lead a stong working band with a distinct group "sound", experimentation with interesting styles and forms, etc. - I would have to go with Osby.

The directions Osby has taken his band in, in recent years is just infinitely more interesting than what KG has been up to ("Standard of Language" was a keeper but compare "Simply Said" and "Happy People"with Osby's output during the same period). Until fairly recently Osby was also able to nurture and keep a monumental talent (Jason Moran) in his working band and harness his distinctive approach into his group sound. KG has not been able to maintain anyone of similar stature and influence in his working band for an extended period of time (although Kenny Kirkland and Tain were a burning band while they lasted with KG).

ADR

Edited by ADR

If were talking strictly for technical ability and sound on the instrument - I would have to go with Kenny Garrett.  He has such incredible chops and an instantly recognizable individual sound on the alto.

However, if we are talking all around musicianship in terms of composition, ability to recruit and lead a stong working band with a distinct group "sound",  experimentation with interesting styles and forms, etc. - I would have to go with Osby. 

The directions Osby has taken his band in, in recent years is just infinitely more interesting than what KG has been up to ("Standard of Language" was a keeper but compare "Simply Said" and  "Happy People"with Osby's output during the same period).  Until fairly recently Osby was also able to nurture and keep a monumental talent (Jason Moran) in his working band and harness his distinctive approach into his group sound.    KG has not been able to maintain anyone of similar stature and influence in his working band for an extended period of time (although Kenny Kirkland and Tain were a burning band while they lasted with KG).

ADR

Absoutely, at least from my perspective (too).

I like Garrett, don't get me wrong. But Osby's output interests me far, far greater --- for all the reasons that ADR states in what I've quoted.

I prefer Steve Coleman to Osby.

I used to, but not any more. My favorite Coleman is his work with Dave Holland --- usually as a sideman with Holland leading, though occasionally the other way around.

Over the years, since about 1996 (but especially since 1998 or 99), Osby has really outshown Coleman, at least for me --- and particuarly when I compare their recordings as leaders.

Coleman got into a rut when his M-Base thing started getting too "mechanical". But rather than abandon it, he stuck with it and has been working with players who genuinely FEEL that stuff now, and for my money, it's some of the freshest music being made today. It breathes now, and it feels totally organic. And it's about time afaic. I had just about given up.

Of course, w/o a major label contract in America, you gotta go to European labels to hear it, but it's there to be had, and it is GLORIOUS!

I like what Steve Coleman did with Dave Holland and also his M-base stuff.

Recently began listening to Osby. You can find here some examples of his music

http://www.gregosby.com/mp3.html

But my favourite for sure is Kenny Garrett, I like his sound, the simplicity of his ideas and their development. I also think he has a very unique way of playing "out" a bit.

Glad to see Nat Su mentioned! I got me a burn of that Ellington disc he made in duo with pianist Fredi Luescher for the AltriSuoni label, after hearing a track from another disc with Luescher on Nate Dorwards BFT. The Ellington disc, "Smada", is a real beauty!

Steve Coleman is not someone I really have heard many times, yet when I hear some of his work, I usually are rather impressed. Though - that might provoke some controversy - in my opinion, he's a highly able bop player, presenting his art in slightly un-boppish surroundings... and those surroundings I'm not sure I really like them. His current Five Elements has a very able trumpet player in Jonathan Finlayson, as well as the usual tight and grooving rhythm section, yet somehow I am not sure how well it all comes together in the end. It does, somehow (otherwise I'd be bored by the music, and that is not at all the case).

Bright Moments: my Zorn with questionmark was rather questioning his greatness (or, as is the topic here, favourite-ness), than age. He's a chameleon, and certainly an able altoist, but I'm not sure he really has something such as his personality on the horn.

ubu

Bright Moments: my Zorn with questionmark was rather questioning his greatness (or, as is the topic here, favourite-ness), than age. He's a chameleon, and certainly an able altoist, but I'm not sure he really has something such as his personality on the horn.

ubu

i am just now exploring zorn for the first time, having picked up naked city. it is certainly a mixed bag, but i liked it enuf to order torture garden. B-)