The Bar-B- Que Pit

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Tomorrow: pork shoulder smoking project. Should take about 12 hours (I'm going to start it at 5:00 AM). I'll be using hickory and apple wood chunks in the smoker and spritzing it with apple cider vinegar & apple juice. After pulling it there will be a choice of Gates or Arthur Bryant's sauce (the internet is our friend :) ).

Since TS Debby has moved on it's gonna be hot (it's gonna be hot EVERYWHERE this weeknd!) but at least it will be sunny and dry.

Just did that last weekend--though I went about 18 hours (started it at 9:45 pm on the big green egg; took about an hour to get it to a steady 230 degrees--and let 'er rip. YUM! Good luck!

Tomorrow: pork shoulder smoking project. Should take about 12 hours (I'm going to start it at 5:00 AM). I'll be using hickory and apple wood chunks in the smoker and spritzing it with apple cider vinegar & apple juice. After pulling it there will be a choice of Gates or Arthur Bryant's sauce (the internet is our friend :) ).

Since TS Debby has moved on it's gonna be hot (it's gonna be hot EVERYWHERE this weeknd!) but at least it will be sunny and dry.

• 7 years later...
On 5/2/2020 at 5:19 PM, Soulstation1 said:

I started doing wings on the grill around 2005 when I found Steven Raichlen's "buff-a-que" wings recipe. It's the only way I make them now. I have kind of modified it some but the basic method is the same. You can also do on a gas grill with homemade smoker pouches. I prefer to marinate 24 hours but I'd be willing to try the dry rub method in the video.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/buffa-que-wings/

I'm currently shopping for a new smoker.  I want a barrel smoker, with doors that make it easy to add wood and charcoal, a water pan, and a thermometer.  I might get a Weber 18-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, but I'm still shopping...maybe there's something better.

611ckOF7rNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made a mistake on the smoker a few weeks ago.

Smoked 2 slabs of pork spare ribs on my barrel smoker and the heat got too high in the beginning, up to around 300-315 degrees F. Made them tougher than normal. Have to keep that in mind the next time and try to limit the coal and wood to keep it closer to 200. Apple wood was used and it gave some nice flavor, but the texture was off. Spare ribs are usually a little more forgiving than back, but I didn't do so well this time. 

Just a warning for you other smokers out there. 

Made my inaugural brisket in the Weber Smokey Mountain.  A 2 1/4 lb. brisket, smoked for 7 hours.  It's a learning curve: I soaked the mesquite wood chunks beforehand, and a lot of it never burned.  In a WSM, you don't need to soak the wood chunks beforehand.

Maybe the best ribs I've ever made last night 

ribs

salt / Pepper / Garlic

olive oil i infused with roasted garlic 

little bit of brown sugar 

marinate in fridge for 5 hours 

should let sit on counter to get to room temp

coals on one side 

ribs on the other over a container of water 

cook for 3 hours 

2 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Maybe the best ribs I've ever made last night 

ribs

salt / Pepper / Garlic

olive oil i infused with roasted garlic 

little bit of brown sugar 

marinate in fridge for 5 hours 

should let sit on counter to get to room temp

coals on one side 

ribs on the other over a container of water 

cook for 3 hours 

My wife just e-mailed me that recipe and suggested we try it. (Think it was in the NY Times.) 

This is the rub I first started with (Steven Raichlen) for ribs. Obviously scaled back unless you're going to store it and I have modified some.

• 1 cup sea salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup sweet paprika
  • 1/2 to 1 cup coarsely ground or cracked black peppercorns
  • 3 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons granulated onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon celery seed

His Memphis rub is also a good one.

• 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt