The Bar-B- Que Pit

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preston_Love_on_Kent___Bar_B_Q__.jpg

The Chef Boyardee headgear couldn't save Preston from becoming barbecue-ee instead of barbecue-er at the hands of the Cadet graphic designer :

PrestonLoveonCadetalternatecover.jpg

P.S. -- I'm servin' hoe cakes 'n' sorghum at my next breakfast dance and barbecue !

I have come late to this thread. I grew up in Wisconsin, where brats on the grill are king (washed down with more beer than can even be imagined in most other parts of the country). I went to barbecue joints in Wisconsin, but then I moved to Kansas City.....

The first time I ate at Arthur Bryant's, in 1982, was a seriously life changing experience. We waited in line for the guy at the counter to take our order. We picked up our plates and noted that they were seriously greasy on the underside. We saw a truly enormous African American man with the largest hands I have ever seen slap some Wonder Bread down on plates, grab a huge mound of sliced meat and slap it on the Wonder Bread, paint it with sauce with a brush, and then grab a mound of fries--which were irregularly shaped, as if the potatoes had been attacked at random, and throw them on the plate.

It tasted fantastic, and totally outside the realm of anything remotely available in Wisconsin.

My wife said that she knew I liked it because I had orange sauce stuck to the entire bottom half of my face on the way home. We stopped on the way home at the late lamented Music Exchange, with its 1 million vinyl albums, where I bought Wes Montgomery with the Wynton Kelly trio, and with Jimmy Smith--a Verve two record reissue. Even today, whenever I hear Wes Montgomery I can taste Arthur Bryant's sauce and feel a leaden lump in my gut.

After that I have sampled many of the dozens of excellent Kansas City barbecue places. This is very serious barbecue country. A barbecue joint that would be the best in many other cities would not even register on the radar screen here. Some places have slightly better meat, or better sauce, or better beans, or better lamb ribs--each has its strengths. The standards are very high.

The only limit to one's fun and enjoyment with barbecue in Kansas City is the degree of concern one has for one's waistline.

Edited by Hot Ptah

grab a mound of fries

I've always referred to them as "clench fries". :)

Nice KC tale. I'm going to miss many things about this place, the great BBQ being near the top of the list. I'll be curious to see what the BBQ situation in Florida is. I do like the eastern Carolina-style of BBQ too.

My BBQ (and Mexican) tastes became much more refined when I moved to Austin in the early 80s- Texas has its own whole BBQ thing goin' on. KC has also been great.

By the way, my meat grinder is supposed to arrive today. Yippee! I can't wait to grind up some burgers. :g

I'm a big fan of brother-in-laws bar-b-que in san francisco on divisadero. that place is unbelievable. chewy and i got food from there one day and chewy ran into the hills above the haight and slammed an entire sweet potato pie in under 10 seconds. also like phils-bar-b-que in san diego, but i wouldnt say its the greatest, or the reaallll deal like they have going on down south. been to red bones but really wasnt that impressed, though i do remember having fun at the bar watching baseball with some reasonable boston fans and eating ribs. BAR B Que for life. also have to recommend my friend joshs new concoction of making sour cream jalapeno poppers then wrapping them in bacon. coronary to the max!

• 3 weeks later...

what u like on your brats?

me... mustard and grilled onions

:wub:

johnsonville_brats_0.jpg

costco has 3 packs for $9 and change

Best way to do a brat is pre-cook on the stove for a bit in a water and beer mix along with some onion of you like.

Then, when you're ready to grill throw them on long enough to finish. :tup

I'm a big fan of brother-in-laws bar-b-que in san francisco on divisadero. that place is unbelievable. chewy and i got food from there one day and chewy ran into the hills above the haight and slammed an entire sweet potato pie in under 10 seconds. also like phils-bar-b-que in san diego, but i wouldnt say its the greatest, or the reaallll deal like they have going on down south. been to red bones but really wasnt that impressed, though i do remember having fun at the bar watching baseball with some reasonable boston fans and eating ribs. BAR B Que for life. also have to recommend my friend joshs new concoction of making sour cream jalapeno poppers then wrapping them in bacon. coronary to the max!

This place is also either under new management or just undergoing a name change. http://www.yelp.com/biz/cvs7dJ0M9EMMpDHr2-ZMog

Haven't paid a visit yet but I can say that I've seen some pretty sketchy stuff go down right around that corner.

• 2 weeks later...