Don Cherry

Late

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Amiri Baraka's 1963 piece on Don Cherry in Black Music he mentioned that Cherry was writing a book. Did that ever happen, and if so, is it available? I like the way he described the group dynamics of the ensembles in which he played in his interview with Baraka, and I'd be interested to read further.

In Amiri Baraka's 1963 piece on Don Cherry in Black Music he mentioned that Cherry was writing a book. Did that ever happen, and if so, is it available? I like the way he described the group dynamics of the ensembles in which he played in his interview with Baraka, and I'd be interested to read further.

Up. I guess not?

Date: November 29, 1961

Label: Atlantic

Don Cherry (ldr), Don Cherry ©, Henry Grimes (b), Ed Blackwell (d)

a. 5829 The Idiot - 4:56 (Ornette Coleman)

b. 5830 Harlemite - 8:34 (Don Cherry)

c. 5831 Black Elk Speaks - 7:10 (Don Cherry)

Details from Raben who says: Erroneously "Black Elk Speaks" was assigned to 2 masternumbers (5831 and 5832).

5829 is untitled - Raben says: Ornette Coleman composition - prob. "The Idiot".

Chuck Nessa advises that this recording still exists.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Almost 8 years since the last post.

I was just having an email discussion with a friend about Charlie Haden's Montreal recording with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell. My friend sent me a link to this video of Don Cherry playing with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Billy Higgins:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXePvT5H0s  Looks like Don Cherry was having some fun there - a good thing - we all should have fun.

Then I came across this video of Sonny Rollins speaking about Don Cherry:

7 hours ago, paul secor said:

Almost 8 years since the last post.

I was just having an email discussion with a friend about Charlie Haden's Montreal recording with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell. My friend sent me a link to this video of Don Cherry playing with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Billy Higgins:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXePvT5H0s  Looks like Don Cherry was having some fun there - a good thing - we all should have fun.

Then I came across this video of Sonny Rollins speaking about Don Cherry:

Really enjoyed both of those.

• 1 year later...

Anyone checked out this recent release? 

https://www.soundohm.com/product/universal-silence-2lp/pid/34658/

https://www.discogs.com/Don-Cherry-Carlos-Ward-Dollar-Brand-Universal-Silence/release/13545963

only 300 copies available unfortunately. And misplaced artwork as no one (except Don of course) is on this record. But this group is killing. Third World Underground is a stunning record!

I wouldn't normally link to this site as I believe it transgresses Board rules but there's no longer a download link so I think it's OK to do so

There's discussion of the concert etc in the comments and a mention of the release you linked to

http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/2018/06/don-cherry-universal-silence-berlin.html

I also came across this 

Yeah there are no sources that claim this is a bootleg nor are there sources that claim it is legit. The blog you are referring to: the blog writer is claiming the release is remastered from the original master tapes...

It is probably legit because:

1 the sound quality is quite good and sounds professional 

2 it was probably remastered from the original tapes

it is probably a boot because: 

1 the cover is a very weird choice....

2 the rather vague record label.

anyway the music is unbelievably great.

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I wouldn't normally link to this site as I believe it transgresses Board rules but there's no longer a download link so I think it's OK to do so

I think so too, but if it turns out that there are other live links on that site that we get complaints about here at Big O Central, don't be offended if we have to remove the link or otherwise render it unlinkable.

If you want to be safe, just list the name of the blog. Most of us here will know what you're talking about. Those who don't have an exciting learning opportunity ahead!

Yeah, what I've heard of that session is very good and with fabulous sonics. That doesn't mean it isn't a boot, which I am almost certain it is.

speaking of Don, caught Neneh Cherry last night here in NYC. I'd never seen her before, and the show was excellent. I never saw Don, but her stage mannerisms/vibe certainly reminded me a lot of what I *think* Don was like.

She played "Black Elk Speaks" on the BBC a while back and it is an incredible tune. Hope the whole thing gets issued someday (which she hinted it might).

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I think so too, but if it turns out that there are other live links on that site that we get complaints about here at Big O Central, don't be offended if we have to remove the link or otherwise render it unlinkable.

If you want to be safe, just list the name of the blog. Most of us here will know what you're talking about. Those who don't have an exciting learning opportunity ahead!

Understood. Just render away

43 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, what I've heard of that session is very good and with fabulous sonics. That doesn't mean it isn't a boot, which I am almost certain it is.

speaking of Don, caught Neneh Cherry last night here in NYC. I'd never seen her before, and the show was excellent. I never saw Don, but her stage mannerisms/vibe certainly reminded me a lot of what I *think* Don was like.

She played "Black Elk Speaks" on the BBC a while back and it is an incredible tune. Hope the whole thing gets issued someday (which she hinted it might).

I saw Neneh most recently with The Thing. Have to say there wasn't much reminiscent of when I saw Cherry with Ward and Helias :)

Glad she was good.