3000 Vinyls 4 Sale 65% are Jazz

jonnyb

The "Bill Lane Album Collection" consists of over 3000 albums. The list contains 33 1/3 rpm vinyl albums and there are additional 78 rpm and 12" disco albums. The recordings consist of Pop, R & B, Musical Theater, high quality Classical boxed sets and, for the most part, Jazz. This collection sports Bill Lane's tremendous love for a diversity of music, which he expressed throughout his career. This collection was appraised in 1996 for $25,000 buy a record resale company in the LA area.

I am just listing the albums for sale for the family. I have a computer business and buy, sell and fix computers. I also do Ebay so they picked me to find potential buyers for the collection. I have the list of these vinyls on an Excel spread sheet. If you don't have Excel then you can download an Excel Viewer from Microsoft free of charge to see Excel formatted documents.

I went thru the list personally and counted 427 albums that are dated from the '50s & '60s. They are probably 1st edition presses. Some are not dated so there are others that are from those years as well. They were stored in a storage facility for 8 years until recently. They are now stored in a new garage.

The original owner is Bill Lane. Or William Clay Lane who passed away June 21, 1995. This guy was a disk jockey and started a company called World News Syndicate, Ltd in Hollywood. He was an entertainment journalist and critic. he started his career in the early 1940's on WHBQ radio in Memphis, TN.

He was an editor, he sold scripts and he was a writer of course.

He was also a political reporter for the Los Angeles Sentinel. He was the Labor and Industry Chairman of the Hollywood/Beverly Hills Branch of the NAACP. He later became the President of that branch of the NAACP.

He had a show called "Bill Lane in Hollywood". He interviewed persons in all social Strata one of which was Billy Graham to Kings, Mayors and Governors. He toured as a correspondent with four US Presidents.

He wrote screen plays, books and received a variety of journalism awards and commendations. Bill was Motown's first publicity man as well.

All of the albums are in boxes. They are not in sleeved containers. They were stored in a storage facility for 8 years until recently. They are now in my mother's new garage. Many of the albums were "DJ copies - not for sale" some don't say this wording on it, and some were played only once for samplings. You will notice that there are a lot of sealed albums as well. The value of these albums should be compared utilizing the "Goldmine Record Album Price Guide".

I have relisted the records on Ebay because of the 21 watchers of the auction, no one put a bid in. Had about 4 people look at them though.

If you still interested in the 3000 vinyls then here is a link to the eBay site for them.

Here is the eBay link to the new auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MESE:IT

If this link does not work then go to eBay and use my username of forjonny when you search by seller to find the auction.

Or use this link to see the Excel list on FilesAnywhere:

https://secure.filesanywhere.com/xELinkMain...%A9%5C%96%B2%A9

From this eBay auction there is a link to the Excel spreadsheet that is on an online storage company. You can see that the list has the artist, label, year and other items about a certain album.

Edited by jonnyb

It would be fun to 'cherry pick' the collection. :D

Yeah, I didn't get all the way through the spread sheet, but my advice would be to throw out 2, 500 of these records and sell the 500 best on EBAY. Trying to sell this en masse is going to be really difficult. There was an awful lot of dross in there, and who knows what the condition is of even the more interesting titles. I wonder if any of the "usual suspects"-- West Coast dealers-- have already checked them out. A good lesson in being selective when collecting.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be fun to 'cherry pick' the collection. :D

I think that already happened. :lol:

No kidding. Except for the Cannonball stuff and some Coltrane. Most of it seems to be standard fare that we should all already have in our collections whether they be as mp3s or LPs or CDs.

Edited by cannonball-addict