Liberation Music Orchestra

According to various online sources, Charlie Haden, after a week of pedantic lollygagging at the Vanguard with his "Land of the Sun" band, he convened a 2004 Election Year edition of the LMO.

Did anybody hear anything about this. I read somewhere that the new band featured Carla Bley, Michael Rodriguez, Chris Potter, Seamus Blake, and others.

You all know I am a big Potter fan/dogmatist, so I would have died to see this show given the good company he was in.

From what I understand it was on this Monday night? Is this the first time in recent memory that the Vanguard Band has been displaced on a Monday night or maybe did they integrate the two bands in an Ornettish free-for-all?

cb-a

It is rare, but not unheard of for the Monday slot to be a different group than the Vanguard band. I can document Monday performances by Loren Schoenberg, Frank Foster, Tom Harrell/Sam Jones, Charles Mingus, and Chuck Israels

The NYT ran an article about Haden who had led a smaller group for the week prior to the Monday and mentioned the one-night gig. There was also a little blurb on another day's NYT.

Wish I could have made it too.

Mike