Another DC Show to Check Out

Leeway

Matthew Lupri and his group (minus the horn section) will be performaing at the K

Kennedy Center Millenium Stage on Saturday November 13, 2004 at 6:00PM. This is a FREE ( :) ) show, no tickets required.

According to the KCweb site:

The Matthias Lupri Group, led by vibist Lupri who Down Beat named as a “Rising Star,” can be heard on the recently released Transition Sonic (Summit Records, Sept. 2004).

Lupri's web site can be found at:

Matthew Lupri

Leeway, his name is Matthias! :rolleyes:

I would definitely check him out. I've seen him once before with George Garzone, Jeff Ballard, John Lockwood, and a guitarist.

His newest album really explores the possibilities of digital effects with vibraphone. Some of it I like a lot. I've heard a few tracks on the radio up here. I think it would be a cool night, if you are into it.

Sorry I can't go on 11/13 - I have a wedding to go to that night!

I went to see McCoy Tyner at Blues Alley last night. It was an absolutely last-minute decision - I found out just the day before that I could get a discount on the admission. They also discounted the second set, so I saw two sets!

It was fantastic - Eric Gravatt is just getting back into the music, but it's like he never left. He told me he hadn't played with McCoy in 30 years!

McCoy was in a very high-energy mood in both sets - he only did one ballad. Most of the stuff started mid-tempo only to go ferociously up-tempo. Although he didn't announce most of the tunes, I think they were mostly originals - you can sort of tell which ones he wrote. They did a fantastic 'Passion Dance' in the second set.

I highly recommend this gig- not cheap, but well worth it.

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked out the Matthias (see, I got it right this time ;) ) Lupri show at the Kennedy Center. Good show. Lupri is big on atmospheric type of music-- less boppish, more concerned with sound textures and spacing. Best pice of the evening, IMHO, was "Northern Lights." I'd like to check this group out when Mark Turner is in the line-up to see how the dynamic changes.

You can check this show out for yourself. the Kennedy Center Millenium Stage has broadcast archives for viewing. here's the link:

Kennedy Center Video Archive