What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I wrote all the arrangements.

I think everyone gets to solo each sets. The horns and piano all get a bunch of solos each set and the bass and drums usually at least one.....

Do you usually do?

I saw a DVD (off european TV) which I enjoyed a lot, recorded in Burghausen, Germany, on March 20, 2009.

Mighty fine concert, too bad I never had a chance to see The Cookers live! But at least I have that DVD!

(In case anyone wonders: Craig Handy was on alto then, not Azar Lawrence, and EJ Strickland on drums.)

A further gloss on the gig - David Weiss didn't get through to me at all. We've discussed showbiz and jazz in a number of threads here. Weiss struck me as the most un-showbiz jazz musician I've ever come across.

I don't expect jazzmen to come on in short spangly skirts and kick their legs up :) But I do expect open body language that tells me they're glad to be there playing their music, which I feel shouldn't be hard for a jazzman 99% of the time. I also expect a bit of eye contact with the audience - not necessarily with me; Harper was standing sideways on to me; Cables was hidden behind the corner of the stage, except his hands, but they were eloquent anyway - even though it is probably hard to pick out individuals in a dark room when the stage is lit.

For the whole set, David Weiss held his trummpet close to his body, pointed at the floor, and looking at the floor. That kind of tight, locked into himself body language, not interested in whether he was getting through, put me right off. It didn't matter what he was playing, I wasn't listening.

MG

[...]

As for the other comments, I don't know what to say. It's interesting what people read into things.

We recorded a CD right after these gigs that will be out in the Fall in Europe and next year in the US. I think it came out great and one can listen to it (and hopefully enjoy it) without being distracted by one's lack of stage presence.

Interesting discussion there!

On the DVD I mention above, that never even occurred to me. I guess there's plenty of variety as far as expectations to jazz musicians go... I can kind of take it all, from aping around nervously or a gentelmanly conferencier (Benny Golson, telling the same stories over and over again...) to the most introspective kind - as long as it seems to be natural and in line with the personality/character of the performing artist!

Never thought anything was weird about your behaviour on said DVD, David!

Mike Reed's People Places and Things Octet in Cologne... had to leave early, very nice concert... had been a bit sad that Ira SUllivan was no there (hope he is doing well...) but his replacement Ari Brown was the best soloist imho so... big surprise was an interview in the beginning with Arrt Hoyle, Julian Priester and Brown conducted by a guy named Larry Kart...

Saw Gianluigi Trovesi's electric quintet last night (Gianluigi Trovesi as,alto-cl,e-flat cl, Massimo Greco tp, Roberto Cecchetto g, Marco Micheli b, Vittorio Marinoni dr)

Quite good, not a big relevation or anything, but very enjoyable!

Not hearly as "electric" as the band name made me expect, Cecchetto was always felt and present but never loud or overpowering, Greco was ok in the first set, then had a beer at the bar and took a second with him back on stage and was loose and godo in the second set. Trovesi was his usual self, full of ideas and melodies, and highly virtuosic when it was called for. I enjoyed the folksy stuff a lot, and as encores, they did two of their New Orleans staples (second encore was "High Society", first I recognised but can't tell what it was... also in the opening number of the second set Trovesi and Greco had a call and response thing going on with the lick of a corny Bert Kaempfert tune, I think... ha!)

I'm about to head out the door. If I have the energy, I'm going to two Atlanta shows tonight:

Janiva Magness (w/ Jim Alfredson on organ) at Blind Willie's.

Then to Kavarna to hear a very interesting band whose name tells the story: Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel.

What an interesting day....

The five horns of the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra played at the wedding of our guitar player this afternoon: traditional and original wedding music.

The Janiva Mangess band at Blind Willie's tonight was smokin' - great singer, great band, and Jim A. was fabulous.

Then I drove across town to Kavarna and walked in halfway through Richard Devine and Josh Kay's duo set of analogue synth improvisations. It was fascinating to hear/see musicians improvising by turning knobs and plugging in patch cords rather than by pressing keys. I really enjoyed it. Then Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel worked their magic for 45 minutes. They produce an amazing range of sounds. Col. Bruce Hampton was in the audience at Kavarna; that might mean something to some of you.

What a great day and night.

Edited by jeffcrom

Up to Whitefield this afternoon on the Metrolink to hear Simon Spillett again - this time with the Gerry Tomlinson Trio. :tup

Yes, it was a fine session. Had a great talk with Simon - about my memories of Tubby Hayes and Victor Feldman and his admiration for Eric Alexander and Grant Stewart.

Bernard Allison at Pearl on Commerce. While not comparable to his father on guitar, he is pretty good and is a nice singer who plays mostly original material. The band was strong, featuring tenor saxophone as much as guitar, and the tenor player (didn't catch his name) played rather well. The drummer has chops way beyond what I expect in a blues band. Overall, quite enjoyable.

Edited by kh1958

Up to Whitefield this afternoon on the Metrolink to hear Simon Spillett again - this time with the Gerry Tomlinson Trio. :tup

Yes, it was a fine session. Had a great talk with Simon

You didn't ask him when his Tubby Hayes bio was coming out by any chance?

With gigs this last week in Wigan, Marlow, Stoke-by-Nayland, Mumbles and Whitefield, my guess is no time soon! :) But I shall certainly be reading it when it does come out. He's incredibly knowledgeable about British jazz history. When I said I had been at Scott's for Victor Feldman's triumphant Xmas visit to Britain (couldn't remember the date), he immediately said "1960 - just after he joined Cannonball Adderley"!

Edited by BillF

What an interesting day....

The five horns of the 4th Ward Afro-Klezmer Orchestra played at the wedding of our guitar player this afternoon: traditional and original wedding music.

The Janiva Mangess band at Blind Willie's tonight was smokin' - great singer, great band, and Jim A. was fabulous.

Then I drove across town to Kavarna and walked in halfway through Richard Devine and Josh Kay's duo set of analogue synth improvisations. It was fascinating to hear/see musicians improvising by turning knobs and plugging in patch cords rather than by pressing keys. I really enjoyed it. Then Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel worked their magic for 45 minutes. They produce an amazing range of sounds. Col. Bruce Hampton was in the audience at Kavarna; that might mean something to some of you.

What a great day and night.

Damn! Playing one gig and then catching two more - all in the same day. Lucky you're still a young fella. :D

Just got back from Southport, where I saw tenorman Frank Griffith with the Swing Shift Big Band. Hadn't heard of Griffith before, but he's an expatriate American who's recorded with Tom Harrell in the States and Jimmy Deuchar here. It was great to hear Bob Florence arrangements live!

Saw another fine gig with the David Binney quartet, gave a lot of playing time to his fine sidemen, check out drummer Dan Weiss ! Man, does Binney loves long pieces , he played 7 pieces that lasted more than two hours.

Only negative was the sonorisation , little tip to those planning a trip to Montreal L'Astral is just not a great venue soundwise

For those interested, there were tapers and you can find it if you want to look for it.

Edited by Van Basten II

Saw Pat Metheny and his Orchestrion last night at the Strathmore in MD. Apparently Gary Burton (per Pat's announcement one of his 'heroes in life' was there) was in attendance as well.

First time seeing Metheny and definitely won't be the last. The man is a musical force onstage and kept the audience's rapt attention for 2.5+ hours.

For those curious about his Orchestrion, I highly recommend seeing it 'live', as it is a one-of-a-kind contraption and the record really doesn't do it justice. To Pat's credit, it never overwhelmed his magnificent guitar playing, but rather provided the semi-interactive backdrop it was meant to provide. There was a brief technical difficulty with it at the beginning of the show, but it was fine after that.

The Orchestrion Suite itself was far more powerful live than on the record and the improvised pieces (including an Ornette tune I couldn't place!) hinting how the thing worked were amazing -- it was fascinating to see his creative thought process play out in real time as he added layer upon layer of sounds from the Orchestrion and his guitar.

Two thumbs up from me.

I saw Metheny and his Orchestrion project last night in Boston at the Orpheum (kind of an old dump). It may have been my first time seeing him (or at least the first time in many, many years). I went, in part, for the spectacle (the opportunity to see the Orchestrion) but was pleasantly surprised, in general, by the music. I agree that seeing it in person goes way beyond listening to the recording. As described by David in the previous post, the improvised demonstration pieces at the end were fascinating, since you gained more insight into how the process of controlling the mass of instruments worked. An interesting evening.