What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On the 12th, I saw Horizon, with Bobby Watson, Terell Stafford, Edward Simon, Peter Washington and Victor Lewis. I've seen Watson and Washington before, but it was my first time seeing the other members of the band. This is a top-notch working band. I had front-row tickets for both sets and thankfully overcame car problems to attend. Lewis is criminally underrated. I think that it was the first time that I'd seen a drummer using two snares.

That's very welcome news that the Horizon band are back together. Just hope that they tour Europe (even better - the UK) ! I think the last time I saw that band it had Essiet Essiet on bass, in place of Washington. Totally agree that Victor Lewis is very under-rated. Any time that he appears on a bill is usually good enough for me, no matter who it is with.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the 12th, I saw Horizon, with Bobby Watson, Terell Stafford, Edward Simon, Peter Washington and Victor Lewis. I've seen Watson and Washington before, but it was my first time seeing the other members of the band. This is a top-notch working band. I had front-row tickets for both sets and thankfully overcame car problems to attend. Lewis is criminally underrated. I think that it was the first time that I'd seen a drummer using two snares.

That's very welcome news that the Horizon band are back together. Just hope that they tour Europe (even better - the UK) ! I think the last time I saw that band it had Essiet Essiet on bass, in place of Washington. Totally agree that Victor Lewis is very under-rated. Any time that he appears on a bill is usually good enough for me, no matter who it is with.

Victor Lewis? Fabulous drummer! Heard him on a lot of discs and saw him once - with the Carla Bley Orchestra in the late 90s.

At Elastic: THU APR 17 9PM $8

MARS WILLIAMS

Mars Williams - solo saxophone

A rare solo set by one of Chicago's best known reed masters.

MAZZARELLA/WILDEMAN/NIEKRASZ

Nick Mazzarella - alto saxophone, Albert Wildeman - bass, John Niekrasz - drums

This one-off grouping features a new generation of rising stars within the Chicago improvised music scene.

Mars was in good form; Mazzarella was outstanding. Hadn't heard him in about six months, said to him afterwards: "You go away for a while and find that someone's burned the house down." His level of intensity now reminds me of Akira Sakata's, and that is intense! New recordings from Nick may be coming soon.

Tony Malaby Paloma Xtra with:

Malaby on tenor saxophone

Ben Monder on guitar

Ben Gerstein on trombone

Eivind Opsvik on bass

Dan Weiss and Billy Mintz on drums

That should be cool. I'm back in DC, so no chance of going. Where's the venue? I just saw Gerstein and I like his way of playing.

Tony Malaby Paloma Xtra with:

Malaby on tenor saxophone

Ben Monder on guitar

Ben Gerstein on trombone

Eivind Opsvik on bass

Dan Weiss and Billy Mintz on drums

That should be cool. I'm back in DC, so no chance of going. Where's the venue? I just saw Gerstein and I like his way of playing.

Cornelia Street Cafe

I'm wondering how they gonna set both the drummers up on that little stage.

Yes I very much like Gerstein. Great energy and he is a very precise and intense improvisor. Malaby loves him and warned me about what he does with this band.

Earlier tonight, at the Latino Cultural Center in Deep Ellum, Francisco Mora Catlett's Afro Horn. The group is Sam Newsome on soprano saxophone, Alex Harding on baritone saxophone, Aruan Ortiz on piano, Hilliard Greene on bass, Ramon Diaz on percussion, and Francisco-Mora Catlett on drums. That was real good, and I would go see them again in a heartbeat.

Randy_Weston_Zurich_20140409_1.jpg

I don't usually take photos during concerts - I like to focus on listening (or on wandering thoughts if the music fails to totally grab me), but this was the second time I caught Randy Weston (at Moods, Zurich, 9 April 2014) and when Billy Harper did his somewhat too cutesy solo number (the same as on the 2013 duo album) I kinda without taking notice grabbed my phone and took these two or Weston sitting there, relaxed but still focused.

Randy_Weston_Zurich_20140409_2.jpg

Jack DeJohnette — Joe Lovano — Esperanza Spalding — Leo Genovese: The Spring Quartet

Tonight and tomorrow live in Athens, Greece! http://www.sgt.gr/en/programme/event/1258

Enjoy,

Alex

I saw them in Newcastle a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed.

A bit full of themselves, I thought.......and Joe Lovano wore his shirt outside his pants, never a good sign :)

Jack DeJohnette — Joe Lovano — Esperanza Spalding — Leo Genovese: The Spring Quartet

Tonight and tomorrow live in Athens, Greece! http://www.sgt.gr/en/programme/event/1258

Enjoy,

Alex

A bit full of themselves, I thought.......and Joe Lovano wore his shirt outside his pants, never a good sign :)

With his figure I wouldn't think he'd have an alternative. :smirk:

Enjoy,

Alex

That's actually the style these days. My girls are constantly trying to get me to do this and I try every now & then but it just doesn't feel right. I usually last about halfway through the day before it gets tucked back in. :)

Tomorrow night Maria Schneider's Jazz Orchestra is coming to Berklee. I can't wait. I've wanted to see/hear this band live for many years and just never connected. Not tonight! I bought these tickets when they went on sale and got the front row.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Earlier tonight, at the Latino Cultural Center in Deep Ellum, Francisco Mora Catlett's Afro Horn. The group is Sam Newsome on soprano saxophone, Alex Harding on baritone saxophone, Aruan Ortiz on piano, Hilliard Greene on bass, Roman Diaz on percussion, and Francisco-Mora Catlett on drums. That was real good, and I would go see them again in a heartbeat.

I caught the group (with Rashaan Carter in place of Hilliard Greene) in Detroit last year and was impressed. I was at another stage for the first half of their set and found myself wishing that it had been possible to catch their entire set.

Earlier tonight, at the Latino Cultural Center in Deep Ellum, Francisco Mora Catlett's Afro Horn. The group is Sam Newsome on soprano saxophone, Alex Harding on baritone saxophone, Aruan Ortiz on piano, Hilliard Greene on bass, Roman Diaz on percussion, and Francisco-Mora Catlett on drums. That was real good, and I would go see them again in a heartbeat.

I caught the group (with Rashaan Carter in place of Hilliard Greene) in Detroit last year and was impressed. I was at another stage for the first half of their set and found myself wishing that it had been possible to catch their entire set.

It was a long concert last night, a full two hours, and free in a nice auditorium.

Contemplating catching one of Rudy Royston's sets down at Firehouse 12 tonight. Probably will not make it because my wife is going out and someone really should be home with the yutes. A concert I have been looking forward to for several months and definitely will not miss is tomorrow night - Oliver Lake Big Band at Wesleyan University.

Randy_Weston_Zurich_20140409_1.jpg

I don't usually take photos during concerts - I like to focus on listening (or on wandering thoughts if the music fails to totally grab me), but this was the second time I caught Randy Weston (at Moods, Zurich, 9 April 2014) and when Billy Harper did his somewhat too cutesy solo number (the same as on the 2013 duo album) I kinda without taking notice grabbed my phone and took these two or Weston sitting there, relaxed but still focused.

Randy_Weston_Zurich_20140409_2.jpg

Flurin, great photo. How was the concert? I saw Randy and Billy in December.

A short trip to New Orleans to attend two days of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival--May 1 and 2. I haven't been since 1987, boy, that was dumb.

The highlights of the first day were two, guitarist-vocalist Mauricio Tizumba, from Minas Gerais, Brazil, with his group Tambor Minerio, six lady drummer/vocalists. Tizumba's songs are fabulous, he's a fine singer and his group generates tremendous rhythmic excitement. After hearing an exciting set in the Blues Tent, subsequently in the afternoon in the Casa de Brazil pavilion, I heard the same result in a much smaller venue.

Closing out the day in the Jazz Tent, the Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio played a transcendent set. With Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar and a New Orleans drummer whose name escapes me, the good Doctor was in sublime form once again.

Day 2 began in the Blues Tent with a little African music, Seguenon Kone and L'Ivoire Spectacle, led by a djembe and balaphon player from the Ivory Coast, a rather spectacular set of mostly drumming.

A little later, in the Jazz Tent, a somewhat unexpected highlight, Jason Marsalis and Chase Jordan's Woodshed Vibes. I wasn't expecting a group featuring dual vibes players to be so good, nor was I expecting Jason Marsalis to be such an excellent vibes player.

A bit later in the Jazz Tent, Nicholas Payton's group was, surprisingly, more in the funk vein, with guitar, electric bass and drums, and with Payton sitting at electric keyboards and organ, occasionally picking up his trumpet to solo. This group actually sounded pretty good for about the first half of the set, but wore a bit thin, especially when Payton started singing, and played more keyboards than trumpet.

Finally, closing out the day, the Pharoah Sanders Quintet in the Jazz Tent, including William Henderson on piano and Marlon Jordan on trumpet. Pharaoh is moving fairly slowly and looking frail, but his sound was so gorgeous, and his playing remained strong. It seemed as if he faded a bit by the end, cutting the scheduled 1 and 20 minute set short at about an hour. His solo in the closing, You've Got to Have Freedom, was short but effective--it was cool seeing Pharoah before such an adoring crowd. Meanwhile, behind us, at the next stage over, Christina Aguilera was simultaneously performing.

It was a very enjoyable experience on the whole, with perfect weather and great food as well. I hope to go again next year.

Edited by kh1958