What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

Saw Ben Allison last week at Birdland. It was an enjoyable show, but unfortunately not as adventurous as I had hoped.

He had a great drummer who's making a splash in NYC and headlining his own shows at the VV this week - Rudy Royston. Keep an eye out for this guy!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went up to Baltimore last night for an evening of electronic music at the Red Room. Three performances, in order:

1) Terrence Hannum;

2) Charles Dube and an unidentified female flautist (NO announcements were made for the whole evening);

3) Jason Lescalleet.

Let me consider 1 and 3 first. Hannum appears to use old reel-to-reel tape decks for his sound. Hard to describe the sound; sort of a multi-layered electronic hurricane. He also sings/wails/yells directly into a mike connected to a mixing board (?) with the result that one doesn't hear his voice directly but as a sort of strain in the larger mix. Volume was quite high.

Lescalleet, who reminded me of (dare I say it) Tim Berne, eschews any vocal effects, and his instrument of choice is a laptop. He also has a tendency to use various bits and pieces of existing sound, old pop songs, creaking doors, etc. He also planted some little devices planted between the audience and the stage that "detonated" near the end of the performance; a bit disconcerting. Volume also max10.

As for Dube, he had a much simpler electronic set-up (I couldn't quite see it, it was mostly in a small box); he also played some violin, while an unidentified co-player played some flute. Frankly, neither played very well.

There was a fairly good crowd there, which tells you something or other, and most were there for Dube, which tells you even more.

I know there are some fervent fans of this music out there, but I'm afraid I'm not going to be a convert to the cause. For one thing, there is no human signature to it, either agency or vehicle. I need more than sensory effects when I listen, not just atmospherics. The works that were performed did better when they were sound manipulation, and not sound effects. A creaking door, or some old scrap of music, really? I suppose it's ironic or something, but sometimes you have to say something. In this respect, Hannum was more successful than Lescalleet, who carries the bigger reputation. Lescalleet did manage a massive soundfield near the end of his performance, which was kind of impressive on a strictly sensory level, but at the volume he had it, some folks made their exit early. Cutting the sound level in half would actually serve the music better, but allowing listeners to listen into it, rather than running from it.

Obviously, I'm not an admirer (although I went with a sincere intent to listen openly since I've heard so many positive things from friends), and it was also a long day (and night), so you may take what I say and gleefully disregard it. I do like (sometimes) electro-music when it is integrated into acoustic music; one can get interesting performances. But even then, it doesn't always carry the weight assigned to it. It's not a talisman; it has to earn its way.

Nice review, Leeway

Fwiw, Lescalleet was extremely loud when I saw him solo @ The Stone a couple of years back - but I thought it was mind bendingly awesome.

Tonight:

Tony Malaby Quartet with Ben Monder, John Hebert and Jeff Williams.

@ Cornelia Street Cafe. We got a great parking spot. My wife is shopping on Bleeker Street. Weather is perfect. I am thinking Tony will be on fire!

Btw - Jeff Williams is new for me. Malaby picks great drummers so let's hope he fits the bill.

At the 60th Sidmouth Folk Festival in glorious Devon.

Yesterday a nice local concert topped by the wonderfully voiced Jackie Oates (an honorary Devonian). Great Scottish concert in the evening with a bunch of teenage fiddlers, a beautiful solo singer (Fiona Hunter) and the ever youthful Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham. More Devon this morning with excellent singer Jim Causley.

All carried out with humour, great banter and tremendous musical skill.

Chris Wood in two different contexts.

First, the duo with Andy Cutting (sqeezeboxes) that propelled him to fame in the 90s. Their first concert together in many a year. Mainly English tunes but played in a slow, gradually unfolding manner that at times sounded like minimalism. Wood's vocals (rare here) reminded me of Lowell George - avoiding the expected beats, yet finding their own logic to creat an almost floating quality. Zen Morris.

In the evening a solo song concert mixing up Wood's by now vast catalogue of breathtaking songs with some new ones.

Wood sets the standard in contemporary English folky songwriting and performance.

Now awaiting a morning solo set by Cutting. All squeezebox...the jazz fan's nightmare.

Last night, saw Kenny Barron and Stefon Harris at the Jazz Standard for the second and third sets. A great pairing. Everything Barron plays is beautiful, and as he said, Harris, who played with intensity and drive during "And Then Again," will make the vibes into an Olympic sport.

Andy Cutting perfect yesterday in a small venue. Gorgeous tunes from England and France. Lovely between tune stories from the life of a jobbing melodian player.

Yves Lambert Trio in the afternoon - taking a rest from making perfume to make knees-up Québécois music.

Now watching zillions of Morris teams on the seafront in the morning.sunshine.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

More fun at Sidmouth. In a era where most of the jazz festivals seem to play safe it's nice to come to something so well balanced between the established and the new, the professional and the eager amateur. Inevitably you hit things that don't appeal but among yesterday's best:

Calan - a young Welsh band (with bagpipes) I'd heart on record. Very exciting, incredibly accomplished for their age.

Gren Bartley Band - will snap his two records up when I get back to home. Excellent song writing, guitar and harmonies, owing more to American gravelly folk than anything British.

Breabach - marvellous Scottish band with two sets of bagpipes! A bit misty Celtic twilight in the songs (a common feature of Scottish/Irish music since the 80s) but utterly thrilling in the instrumentals (which fortunately dominate).

What can jazz and classical concerts learn from folk? The informality, banter, lack of over-seriousness.

What can folk concerts learn from jazz/classical? You don't have to keep seeking audience participation (though I'd love to attend a Rite of Spring where the maestro asks the audience to put their hands together).

Renee Rosnes Quartet with Steve Nelson.

I would love to hear Renee Rosnes play, but she's probably never been to these shores :-(

Very nice performance. In addition to Steve Nelson on vibes, the ensemble also featured John Patitucci on bass and drummer Carl Allen. Good mix of original compositions with titles by Duke Pearson, Ellington, Monk and a standard. Can't remember whether I ever heard Rosnes live before, but she was impressive. Nelson is a wizard! The only bad thing I have to say about the evening is that it was an outdoor performance and I once again happened to be in the vicinity of "those people" who wanted to be the only ones talking loudly throughout the entire performance.

Renee Rosnes Quartet with Steve Nelson.

I would love to hear Renee Rosnes play, but she's probably never been to these shores :-(

Very nice performance. In addition to Steve Nelson on vibes, the ensemble also featured John Patitucci on bass and drummer Carl Allen. Good mix of original compositions with titles by Duke Pearson, Ellington, Monk and a standard. Can't remember whether I ever heard Rosnes live before, but she was impressive. Nelson is a wizard! The only bad thing I have to say about the evening is that it was an outdoor performance and I once again happened to be in the vicinity of "those people" who wanted to be the only ones talking loudly throughout the entire performance.

Talking loudly throughout the performance seemed to be the thing in my youth, as you can hear from live recordings of the era - try the CD version of Monk at the Blackhawk for example - but I'm pleased to say that nowadays there's generally a much more respectful attitude among jazz audiences, at least in this part of the world. Of course, there are exceptions, particularly where the musicians have been engaged to provide a background to drinking. I recall battling to hear Britain's Simon Spillett over the sounds of carousing at a beer festival in Leyland, Lancs! :(

More Morris dancing than you can shake a stick at. With bells on.

The Welsh band had clog dancing, as did the Scottish band. This should be Evan Parker's next project. Free improv sax and clog dancing.

Yesterday, a rather frail but spirited Roy Bailey with John Kirkpatrick (sporting Morris injuries with a black eye...he knows how to suffer for his art). Saw Bailey with Leon Rossellson around 1983 in the darkest days of the Third Cold War - one of the most electrifying political performances I've seen. If he'd asked us to storm Downing Street I'd have gone. Bought an LP instead.

In the afternoon supergroup of Martin Simpson, Nancy Kerr and Andy Cutting (I'm stalking him). Half of The Full English project of last year. Great mix of English, Appalachian and Blues.

Lisa Knapp opened in the evening - got a cool response. Very oddball using lots of loops and electronics and a keening voice. I've really taken to her - would like to see her in a full concert.

Finally Martin and Eliza Carthy, as brilliant as ever. Martin must be the performer I've seen most over the last 40 years. A superb example of how to be a legend and then behave like an ordinary bloke.

Oh, and I was chatting to a couple there who are good friends with Art Themen. Small world.