What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 19/11/2016 at 6:40 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

It was on sale in Rays on Thursday, Nearly bought a copy, influenced by high praise here, but decided to wait. Would have liked to have seen one of those concerts but they didn't come close to me (apart from in London when I was at another event). Maybe next tour.  

Sold out in Rays when I checked yesterday..:(

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

Thank you! I will let you know if I get to tell her.

I hope you enjoy the show, Oliver

be *sure* to tell my man Mat Maneri that this guy named Steve Reynolds says hello from the NYC area. I'm sure you are in for a treat. Yes it is an ongoing shame that the music listeners of this world have not opened up their collective ears to this wonderous music. Of course Joelle & Mat are two of the greatest string improvisors in the world and you are blessed to see them.

Yes, Rob (and wife) flew over from Holland yesterday. There was a strong Bill Evans feel to the gig. Some Evans-associated numbers were chosen and Arnie quickly fell into a freewheeling LaFaro mode. They'd never played together before, but there are the makings of a real partnership there

And now for today: this afternoon to Wigan Jazz Club to hear the Brandon Allen Sextet with Mark Nightingale et al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfdx7_RzlX8

Edited by BillF

On 25/11/2016 at 6:44 PM, OliverM said:

Sounds great! I will be seing two of them next Monday, three French labels organized for Joelle Léandre a 40 years of touring celebration concert to which she responded by inviting trombonist Christiane Bopp as well as Mat Maneri and Maggie Nicols.

Thanks mjazzg and Steve for building up the anticipation! Unfortunately, I didn't succeed in conveying your salutation or message. Mat was out of sight at the end of the concert, the church is huge, but I suspect he was rather somewhere outside smoking a cigarette, couldn't see him though. While Joelle was surrounded by fans and friends.

I'm glad that this concert received all the attention it deserved, many people there! Joëlle was moved while still rebellious as usual. Many small group combinations, all recorded (and I suppose to be released on Fou records? At least mixed by Foussat), in one of the largest parisian churches. The sound might turn out to be better on the record though, the seats were a bit far from the stage (no amplification), and once again the space in that church in every direction is huge so some of the energy might have been tempered by this disposition (or was it the cold?), yet it forced the public to be very attentive and brought out particularly the finesse of the alto. Mat Maneri started Joëlle Léandre on one of his microtonal explorations, which might have been my favorite moment that night.  Christiane Bopp was great, very playful, everyone should really check her out, and also catch Joelle during her celebration tour (see also the Free jazz collective this week).

B.jpg

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

Thanks mjazzg and Steve for building up the anticipation! Unfortunately, I didn't succeed in conveying your salutation or message. Mat was out of sight at the end of the concert, the church is huge, but I suspect he was rather somewhere outside smoking a cigarette, couldn't see him though. While Joelle was surrounded by fans and friends.

I'm glad that this concert received all the attention it deserved, many people there! Joëlle was moved while still rebellious as usual. Many small group combinations, all recorded (and I suppose to be released on Fou records? At least mixed by Foussat), in one of the largest parisian churches. The sound might turn out to be better on the record though, the seats were a bit far from the stage (no amplification), and once again the space in that church in every direction is huge so some of the energy might have been tempered by this disposition (or was it the cold?), yet it forced the public to be very attentive and brought out particularly the finesse of the alto. Mat Maneri started Joëlle Léandre on one of his microtonal explorations, which might have been my favorite moment that night.  Christiane Bopp was great, very playful, everyone should really check her out, and also catch Joelle during her celebration tour (see also the Free jazz collective this week).

B.jpg

Thanks for the report. I'm glad it was a good show and will keep an eye out for the recording. I don't think I've heard Bopp so will follow your recommendation

Image result for chris wood folk

Chris Wood

All by himself at the National Centre for Early Music in York (inside St Margaret's Church, Walmgate)

Utterly brilliant as ever. Superb guitar playing coming out of the long tradition from Graham/Jansch etc, beautiful voice, songwriting unlike anyone else that I've heard.

Wood manages to combine a music deeply marinated in the English tradition (musical, literary and with an acute sense of landscape and social history), possessed of a cold rage at, as he put it last night, what has happened to the world 'on our watch' and a deep yet unsentimental love of family and community. [English rooted he might be, but he's not chauvinistic - we had a song with a Bossa rhythm and one by Dock Boggs]

When it comes to singers writing contemporary songs (increasingly about what it's like to be an ordinary person bewildered by a world coming apart at the seams), he's way ahead of the field. I suspect most contemporary British songwriters would acknowledge that and just stand back in awe. 

Highlight of the evening - 'Hollow Point' - his casting of the London police shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes in 2005 into traditional English ballad form. A case study of how to write a political song without resorting to off-the-peg slogans. 

The venue is an old church that was de-consecrated a long while back and turned into a performance venue, principally for 'classical' early music. With churches across the country struggling to get congregations in double figures it shows what can be done to make the buildings socially useful whilst retaining their character. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Image result for Nikki Iles Stan Sulzmann

Nikki Iles and Stan Sulzmann

(Crucible Theatre Studio, Sheffield)

Two of my favourites - the third time I've seen Nikki this year (fourth if you count her one song guest at the Norma W. event last month). I'm not sure if she has much of a profile beyond the UK - expect she plays in Europe (most Brit musicians have to to survive) and I believe she has links with Canada. Marvellous pianist from the Bill Evans/John Taylor school. Stan is one of the lesser known heroes of the Taylor/Wheeler generation who seems to have only got his due recording wise in recent years.

An evening of mainly familiar standards which can (for me) be a bit of a snooze. But Iles and Sulzmann have come up with fresh arrangements, sometimes with intriguing little preludes or codas. I often find myself wanting the theme statements to be over (how many time do you need to hear the theme of 'Body and Soul'?) so the embellishments and variations can begin. Almost throughout you could hear the improvisation kicking in right from the start of the theme, keeping you interested throughout. At no point did you lose track of the harmonic contours - not 'out' music in any shape or form - yet both piano and tenor kept things in constant flux.

Beautiful sound in the Crucible Studio, commented on by both musicians (and Nikki wanted to take the piano home). The lack of bass and drums allowed the textures of the tenor in particular to really shine. Not sure if it was intentional but there was a lovely prelude where Stan was playing alone and the piano strings were gently resonating with strange harmonics.   

Lovely evening. 

He's on at least one of the early Graham Collier records - 'Down Another Road' I think, which was 1969. I first came across him when a track from 'On Loan with Gratitude' was used as the 'Jazz Today' theme. Be nice to see that get a CD release - Stan doesn't even have it featured in the discography on his website.

Kahil El' Zabar Ritual Trio, Tropicalia, Washington DC, Dec. 3.

With David Murray and Harrison Bankhead. Murray is phenomenal in a small club, small ensemble setting. Loved Harrison Bankhead's fat, warm bass notes. Seen El' Zabar a number of times, he still brings the energy and feeling, elements not always present in this music. 

2 hours ago, Leeway said:

Kahil El' Zabar Ritual Trio, Tropicalia, Washington DC, Dec. 3.

With David Murray and Harrison Bankhead. Murray is phenomenal in a small club, small ensemble setting. Loved Harrison Bankhead's fat, warm bass notes. Seen El' Zabar a number of times, he still brings the energy and feeling, elements not always present in this music. 

I'd love to catch this gig.

7 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

First set just ended:

Fred Frith with Mary Halvorsen & Ches Smith

I've never heard anything like that before:)

That I'd have liked to have heard. I saw Frith a couple of years back in a tribute concert to the late Lindsay Cooper, first time since the 70s. He doesn't get over here much, rarely beyond London. The match with Halvorsen sounds fascinating.  

20 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

That I'd have liked to have heard. I saw Frith a couple of years back in a tribute concert to the late Lindsay Cooper, first time since the 70s. He doesn't get over here much, rarely beyond London. The match with Halvorsen sounds fascinating.  

I might need to write about last night

second set with Fred, Ches & Iku Mori surprisingly took the music to a whole other level. Mind blowing. Standing ovation by all in attendance at The Stone which was a first for me. I'm having trouble finding descriptions of what I heard. Even *moreso* never hearing anything like it. I do know that Ches Smith is the total real deal powerhouse yet beautiful subtle drummer. 

Double set last night that stretched well past midnight in Baltimore, MD. First set: Michael Formanek (b), Hank Roberts (cello), Ches Smith Smith (d). This set had its moments but there were stretches where nothing interesting happened. It seemed the group lacked for ideas, and a bass/cello combo wasn't always ideal for lighting fires. Chez didn't seem on his "A" game.  Overall, a solid "B" grade.

The second set: Nels Cline (g), Larry Ochs (sax), Gerald Cleaver (d). The trio came out of the gate roaring, and there were a lot of dynamic moments through the set. News can make some beautiful sounds on guitar. Cleaver worked the kit like a boxer working the body. Ochs alternated between soprano and tenor saxes, with a wholly WTF attitude. Struck me as a pretty satisfying set. "A-"

The evening was wrapped by an encore consisting of the two trios joined together. It was a generous, energized, if a bit disjointed effort by the six musicians. 

Image result for Martin Simpson

Martin Simpson at Firth Hall, Sheffield

Hometown gig for the great man. Remember seeing him back in 1981 when he was the new, young guitarslinger in town, accompanying June Tabor. Younger than the Jones/Graham/Jansch/Renbourn axis of the 60s but very much out of that world of acoustic guitar wizardry. 

Beautiful mix of songs from across his extensive career, drawing off English and American traditions. He's been enjoying a real purple patch since he returned to England (after a time living in the USA) with a string of great records. Most notably, he's developed into a superb songwriter - a lovely one about the death of his mother last night that I'd never heard before. Hit a real high early on with a segue from 'St. James Infirmary' to Dylan's 'Blind Willie McTell'. He drew attention to one part of the latter as reflective of the events of 2016:

"Well, God is in heaven
And we all want what's his
But power and greed and corruptible seed
Seem to be all that there is."

I cannot compute how he can sing irregular lines and simultaneously play irregular and complex melody lines. A lot of practice, I suppose. Nice range of instruments too - guitar, banjo, ukulele and Hawaiian guitar. His slide and note bending techniques are a sound to behear.   

Beautiful concert playing to an audience who were on his side from the off (most were probably relatives). 

Image result for alan barnes a jazz christmas carol

Alan Barnes Octet - A Jazz Christmas Carol (Bonington Theatre, Arnold, Nottingham)

ALAN BARNES (SAX/CLARINET); BRUCE ADAMS (TRUMPET); MARK NIGHTINGALE (TROMBONE); ROBERT FOWLER (SAXES); KAREN SHARP (SAXES); DAVE NEWTON (PIANO); SIMON THORPE (BASS); CLARK TRACEY (DRUMS)

Suspect this particular show is part of Barnes' pension plan - absolute sell-out and the Bonington rarely sells out. 

His "A Jazz Christmas Carol" suite (with suitable readings and hilarious ad libs) plus arrangements of a few seasonal favourites. Parts of the suite were really very Ellington. You don't often get three clarinets (or even two baritones) in an arrangement. At one point Barnes seemed to summon up an extra ghost - Johnny Hodges. High point for me was the arrangement of 'We Three KIngs' at the end - a 3/4 piece in three parts that sounded like an outtake from 'Africa/Brass'. In the slower middle section Karen Sharp played the most beautiful tenor solo - I'll be digging out my one record of hers later. 

As ever with Barnes a wonderful mixture of compelling music and down to earth humour. And yes, he did dress like that! 

Enjoy his Yuletide joy in Manchester tonight, Bill!

[Haven't heard Dave Newton live since the last Appleby about ten years back - by sheer chance I'm off to see him again in Sheffield next week with Nicola Farnon and Jim Mullen. London bus syndrome] 

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Image result for alan barnes a jazz christmas carol

Alan Barnes Octet - A Jazz Christmas Carol (Bonington Theatre, Arnold, Nottingham)

ALAN BARNES (SAX/CLARINET); BRUCE ADAMS (TRUMPET); MARK NIGHTINGALE (TROMBONE); ROBERT FOWLER (SAXES); KAREN SHARP (SAXES); DAVE NEWTON (PIANO); SIMON THORPE (BASS); CLARK TRACEY (DRUMS)

Suspect this particular show is part of Barnes' pension plan - absolute sell-out and the Bonington rarely sells out. 

His "A Jazz Christmas Carol" suite (with suitable readings and hilarious ad libs) plus arrangements of a few seasonal favourites. Parts of the suite were really very Ellington. You don't often get three clarinets (or even two baritones) in an arrangement. At one point Barnes seemed to summon up an extra ghost - Johnny Hodges. High point for me was the arrangement of 'We Three KIngs' at the end - a 3/4 piece in three parts that sounded like an outtake from 'Africa/Brass'. In the slower middle section Karen Sharp played the most beautiful tenor solo - I'll be digging out my one record of hers later. 

As ever with Barnes a wonderful mixture of compelling music and down to earth humour. And yes, he did dress like that! 

Enjoy his Yuletide joy in Manchester tonight, Bill!

[Haven't heard Dave Newton live since the last Appleby about ten years back - by sheer chance I'm off to see him again in Sheffield next week with Nicola Farnon and Jim Mullen. London bus syndrome] 

You've whetted my appetite for tonight's gig, Lark! :D