What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going to the Tony Williams Spotlight at SFJAZZ on Thursday. Should be pretty exciting with this lineup of artists.

CONCERT INCLUDES PERFORMANCES BY
Zakir Hussain · Joshua Redman · Terence Blanchard 
Mary Stallings · Joe Lovano · Bill Frisell
Stefon Harris · Cindy Blackman Santana
Eric Harland · John Santos · Kronos Quartet
SFJAZZ Collective

5 hours ago, OliverM said:

Tonight!!

Roscoe Mitchell Sextet: Tribute to John Coltrane

RM, Mazz Swift, Tomeka Reid, Silvia Bolognesi, Junius Paul, Vincent Davis

My crossover concert for the Chinese New Year! Wishing the best to all of you.

Enjoy - sounds like an amazing band and I'm not familiar with Mazz or Silvia 

On 27/01/2017 at 3:36 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Enjoy - sounds like an amazing band and I'm not familiar with Mazz or Silvia 

Thanks! It was very powerful music, presented as Roscoe Mitchell "with strings" (two double-basses, cello and violin, plus drums). They played Coltrane's Countdown and a short, very solemn rendition of Alabama, but most of the concert was Roscoe's own compositions interspersed by large improvised, intense, sections. Great connivance between the three women on the left part of the scene, Mazz Swift is a very charismatic violinist whom I had seen once in a Rob Mazurek large ensemble (also next to Tomeka Reid) and with a stunning voice (she sang only for the last tune), Silvia Bolognesi stroke the bass beautifully mostly archo and with very interesting timing, I should check more of her work. And an audience of a few hundred people in a nice theatre stage in the outskirts of Paris. A very enjoyable evening!

8 hours ago, OliverM said:

Thanks! It was very powerful music, presented as Roscoe Mitchell "with strings" (two double-basses, cello and violin, plus drums). They played Coltrane's Countdown and a short, very solemn rendition of Alabama, but most of the concert was Roscoe's own compositions interspersed by large improvised, intense, sections. Great connivance between the three women on the left part of the scene, Mazz Swift is a very charismatic violinist whom I had seen once in a Rob Mazurek large ensemble (also next to Tomeka Reid) and with a stunning voice (she sang only for the last tune), Silvia Bolognesi stroke the bass beautifully mostly archo and with very interesting timing, I should check more of her work. And an audience of a few hundred people in a nice theatre stage in the outskirts of Paris. A very enjoyable evening!

8 hours ago, OliverM said:

you mihgt enjoy this

Edited by uli

13 hours ago, OliverM said:

That sounds like a fantastic evening. The string players have recorded together

https://www.discogs.com/Mazz-Swift-Tomeka-Reid-Silvia-Bolognesi-Hear-In-Now/release/4253317

I've not heard it but keep meaning to buy a copy.

Roscoe Mitchell's bringing the current line up of AEOC to Cafe Oto this week

Last night - drummer Magnus Ostrom's group as part of their UK tour. Terrific performance, they gave it 100% in two engrossing sets, with much of the music from the recent 'Parachute' CD release. Obvious echos of E.S.T. but with strong influences from Mahavishnu Orch. and PMG too. This will go down as one of my top gigs this year, I think.

Last night - drummer Magnus Ostrom's group as part of their UK tour. Terrific performance, they gave it 100% in two engrossing sets, with much of the music from the recent 'Parachute' CD release. Obvious echos of E.S.T. but with strong influences from Mahavishnu Orch. and PMG too. This will go down as one of my top gigs this year, I think.

An East Texas blues weekend for me, with two sets of genuine vintage blues/rock from the Ally Venable Band at Poor David's Pub on Friday, and a set of the raw blues of E.J. Matthews at Poor David's Pub on Saturday. E.J. Matthews, a very large man who plays acoustic guitar, sings in a raspy unrefined voice, and has written hundreds of original songs, plays a hybrid country/electric blues that has a very fierce drive. He was said to be gearing up for three SXSW showcase performances; I wish him luck. 

On 28.1.2017 at 9:07 PM, OliverM said:

Quite similar here ... the "Countdown" opening had me go "huh? seriously now?" for a moment but what followed was very convincing, though sound (in Silvio Berlustrumpy's Teatro Manzoni in Milan) wasn't great and I had a hard time telling the three ladies apart often, while Paul (wearing as trousers what looked like ladies winter stockings, and a cool hat - a great sight for sure!) was mostly plucking away wihh tons of power. Swift sang the last tune (a catchy little ditty), and I think in the tune before, Paul and Bolognesi ended up playing forceful pizzicato simultaneously, which had a great effect indeed. How the music - and Roscoe in his solos - built up was amazing! The posh audience pretended to like being blown into the chairs, though moreso than a year ago when I heard the quintet of Muhal Richard Abrams in the same venue (which runs a series of Sunday matinée concerts) the atmosphere didn't feel right at all. Roscoe and his kin (they could all be his kids! - some even his grandchildren I assume?) didn't let that bother them for a second. They did their one hour set and then (after the tune with vocals) returned for a take-no-prisoners-encore.

Here's a couple of bad smartphone snapshots:

20170129_112400_zpsrwet4agd.jpg

20170129_112423_zpstxqbqc5y.jpg

Edited by king ubu

Oh, 2017 > 1967 ... slow to pick up. But then ROVA has been running Coltrane programmes for a while.

Roscoe plays Coltrane in Milan was more a marketing angle ... the fun part was actually that the (big) crowd really thinks he's one of jazz big stars ... would be cool if that were so, and he IS in my house ...

This was great!!!

Recorded live and to be released along with some studio sessions recorded in the last couple of days, most probably on Jean-Noël Cognard's own label Bloc Thyristors.

So this was trumpet and alto tuba (Mark Charig), bass clarinet, alto and soprano sax, double bass, drums. One englishman, luxembourgeois, brazilian and two frenchmen.

Marcio Mattos was new to me and particularly powerful, I'm wanting to check his solo release on Emanem last year. Cognard was great at 'waking up' Michel Pilz who then responded with great energy and lyricism.

Jean-Noel Cognard dedicated the concert to Johannes Bauer and gave a hommage to Jaki Liebezeit also. Not so young critic Philippe Carles was in the audience as well as many from Impro Jazz.

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I very much hope this gets released, such a good line up. It will be good to hear Charig again

I really enjoy the Bloc Thyristor releases that feature Pilz from a few years ago

Yes, "L'étau - Choses clandestines", great one! With Keith Tippett and Paul Rogers.

Date night.  We saw Ricardo Muti and the Chicago Symphony in a program featuring Rossini's Overture to Semiramide, Yefim Bronfman as soloist in Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4, and Mendelssohn's Reformation Symphony.  The Beethoven was wonderful, the Rossini was totally new to me, and the Mendelssohn was inspiring.  We are indeed fortunate in Chicago to have such an Orchestra and Maestro Muti at this stage of his career.

Last night I saw the Scott Amendola Band w/ Nels Cline, Jeff Parker, Jenny Scheinman and John Schifflet at SFJAZZ's Joe Henderson Lab. Really interesting show that ranged from Tony Williams Lifetime intensity to reflective scored pieces - all in about an hour. Good contributions from all the musicians, too.

Nice to see a group like this in such a small venue, too.

Image may contain: 2 people, people on stage, concert and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, night, concert and indoor

A little late but I saw Kahil El' Zabar and Ethnic Heritage Ensemble at the Loft Society, Cincinnati last weekend. It was fantastic; not just great music as it was, but with a vintage rant by Al before each set, and some engaging and grounded statements from Kahil in the second set about current events.

I had the good fortune to see Larry Willis perform on Friday night at the Velvet Note, a local club. It was an excellent show, the highlight of which was a performance of "Flamenco Sketches."  Very, very moving. 

Willis' sidemen were Curtis Lundy on bass and Jason Brown on drums. 

So glad I had a chance to see him.  If you ever have an opportunity to see Willis perform, don't think about it -- GO!!!