What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 12/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, Patrick said:

This past weekend saw the Shorter/spalding opera Iphigenia twice at the Kennedy Center. Very briefly spoke to Danilo Perez and John Patitucci afterward, and said hello to Wayne. Glad that he made it to DC for these performances. He received a hearty reception from the audience after each performance.

Wayne was there? Wow - that's great!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, Patrick said:

This past weekend saw the Shorter/spalding opera Iphigenia twice at the Kennedy Center. Very briefly spoke to Danilo Perez and John Patitucci afterward, and said hello to Wayne. Glad that he made it to DC for these performances. He received a hearty reception from the audience after each performance.

its it aboustely awe inspringly out of control good, i really no nothing of it yet, thats crazy you saw it, also incredible you said hi to wayne, so hes getting older, but hes doing alright, otherwise he probably wouldnt be hangin

UNLESS hes doing it because hes being pushed, but come freaking on.  I dont see the signs of that from his social media etc- i see genius at work 100%

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So Kenny Barron last night was wonderful. He is still playing great at 78. My only complaint would be that the club I went to is new and they don't seem to have the hang of how to mix the sound for a piano trio or they didn't design the sound system right. We sat in front of the stage and could barely hear Kenny's piano if the trio was playing. I got up at one point and walked back into the club and after about two rows of tables, Kenny was clear as a bell. I think the stage speakers are too high up. They have to be 15-20 feet up.

Edited by bresna

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a mail from Viena Concerthaus with jazz in spring schedule. I saw the names "Billy Childs" and "Branford Marsalis Concert". Billy Childs, wasn´t he that great keyboardist who played in the 70´s , I think with Freddie Hubbard, and with J.J. Johnson at Yokohama ? But the guy on the photo looks younger than I thought....

Would it be interesting to see the Branford Marsalis Quartet. I saw Branford only with VSOP II in 1983 and he was great. What kind of music are they playing ? 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Just got a mail from Viena Concerthaus with jazz in spring schedule. I saw the names "Billy Childs" and "Branford Marsalis Concert". Billy Childs, wasn´t he that great keyboardist who played in the 70´s , I think with Freddie Hubbard, and with J.J. Johnson at Yokohama ? But the guy on the photo looks younger than I thought....

Would it be interesting to see the Branford Marsalis Quartet. I saw Branford only with VSOP II in 1983 and he was great. What kind of music are they playing ? 

That 1977 recording was Childs' recording debut at the young age of 20.

I caught Ben Monder, Tony Malaby, and Tom Rainey at SFJAZZ tonight - my first concert since COVID began.

it was really good - reminded me of a jazz take on late 60s / early 70s German guitar/electronic music like Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel or Guru Guru.

It was my first time seeing Rainey in concert and… holy shit. The guy is a monster!!!!

23 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

I caught Ben Monder, Tony Malaby, and Tom Rainey at SFJAZZ tonight - my first concert since COVID began.

it was really good - reminded me of a jazz take on late 60s / early 70s German guitar/electronic music like Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel or Guru Guru.

It was my first time seeing Rainey in concert and… holy shit. The guy is a monster!!!!

I totally missed that listing! Should have gone.

The last two nights, I was able to see Chris Potter (in a trio) and Yoko Miwa at the new jazz club in Portsmouth, NH, Jimmy's Jazz & Blues Club.

Next up on my calendar is Alex Minasian, who is bringing a great-looking band into Sculler's Jazz Club on March 26th, with Alex on piano, Billy Pierce on tenor, Vince DuPont on bass & one of my favorite drummers, Joe Farnsworth at the drum kit. I haven't seen Alex in many years. He was a local (Hudson, NH) piano prodigy who I first encountered when he played piano for Curtis Fuller's band when they played in the area. I bet he was around 15 the first time I saw him. How time flies...

13 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Seeing them in Albuquerque Saturday night!!

15 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I’ve seen all 3 of them often and once or twice as this trio. They are awesome, IMO

yes Tom Rainey is one of the greatest drummers on the planet. Such a unique approach. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...