What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

On 11/7/2022 at 1:53 AM, BFrank said:

Great show tonight. An impressive lineup. Picked up her recent RogueArt album after the show and will listen to it tomorrow. They're recording another one this week for release sometime next year.

Saw them last night @ Roulette in Brooklyn / wonderful. Especially Tomeka Reid who is a genius level cellist. Great large crowd. Amazing energy & enthusiasm in the great concert space. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Saw them last night @ Roulette in Brooklyn / wonderful. Especially Tomeka Reid who is a genius level cellist. Great large crowd. Amazing energy & enthusiasm in the great concert space. 

Glad to hear they had a nice turnout. Couldn't tell here. They did 4 shows over 2 nights in the small (100 seat) Joe Henderson Lab at SFJAZZ. The show I saw wasn't quite full.

Agree about Tomeka. I've seen her a number of times and am more impressed with her every time! She recently received  McArthur award, too!

https://www.macfound.org/fellows/class-of-2022/tomeka-reid#searchresults

21 hours ago, BFrank said:

Glad to hear they had a nice turnout. Couldn't tell here. They did 4 shows over 2 nights in the small (100 seat) Joe Henderson Lab at SFJAZZ. The show I saw wasn't quite full.

Agree about Tomeka. I've seen her a number of times and am more impressed with her every time! She recently received  McArthur award, too!

https://www.macfound.org/fellows/class-of-2022/tomeka-reid#searchresults

For this sort of basically “non-commercial” music anything close to filling 100 seats is pretty great. Not easy music. Invigorating and challenging to my ears. 

4 hours ago, BFrank said:

True. Hoping they were able to at least 'mostly fill' all 4 shows.

Thumbscrew (Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek & Tomas Fujiwara) are playing Friday & Saturday night at Jazz Gallery / 4 sets / I expect full house both nights / about 80 to 90 people I think. I’ll be there for the 7:30 set on Saturday. Bringing a friend who only knows classic jazz and some jam band stuff. I expect him to like the guitar player:)

17 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Thumbscrew (Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek & Tomas Fujiwara) are playing Friday & Saturday night at Jazz Gallery / 4 sets / I expect full house both nights / about 80 to 90 people I think. I’ll be there for the 7:30 set on Saturday. Bringing a friend who only knows classic jazz and some jam band stuff. I expect him to like the guitar player:)

I noticed they're live streaming on Saturday. I might have to check in on that.

Classical tomorrow:

The program will feature Sextuor (Sextet) by French Les Six composer Francis Poulenc (1899-1963). The work caused a stir when premiered in 1933, earning praise from liberal critics and scorn from traditionalists.

The Poné Ensemble for New Music will premiere a Duet for Violin and Viola by Stanley Walden, known for his work on the avant-garde theatrical review Oh! Calcutta! Other works will include Acadia for Oboe, Viola and Piano by the Ensemble’s own Shirley Hoffman Warren; Fanmi Imèn for Flute and Piano (2018) by African American flutist/composer Valerie Coleman; Duet for Flute and Viola by Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006); and The Water Sprites for Flute, Voice and Piano by American composer Amy Beach (1867-1944).

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Threadgill Zooid & Anthony Braxton Quartet 

London Jazz Festival 

THAT must have been great!

16 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Thumbscrew (both sets) were incredible last night. Stunning on all kinds of levels. 

yes, Mary is GOD:)

I missed it. Was going to stream, but got sidetracked. I'm sure they'll be around again.

Meanwhile, Mary seems to be everywhere the last several years. I've seen her in many different settings (like with Myra Melford just a week ago).

5 hours ago, BFrank said:

THAT must have been great

It most surely was. Braxton played with his New Quartet - Carla Tests, Susana Silva Santos, Maria Portugal.  If I understood the announcement correctly, this was the first time they had played the music live. The evident delight of AB playing with these musicians was an absolute joy to see, he fist pumped several times at the end whilst doing a little jig! The music was rigorous and engrossing in that way that Braxton music always is. Maria Portugal is someone to look out for.

Threadgill and Zooid inhabited that soundworld that we know so well from the recordings. The interplay between musicians was extraordinary.  HT sat out for longer periods obviously engrossed by the playing of his music. When he played, well there isn't a tone like that anywhere else. Played a lot of Poof I think.

Both sets very well received by a good if not sell-out crowd 

• 2 weeks later...

I saw The Cookers last night in Portsmouth. Good times with a lot of my local Jazz buds. The band was cooking. :)

Eddie Henderson, David Weiss, Billy Harper, Donald Harrison, George Cables, Cecil McBee & Billy Hart. The only negative was that my ears were ringing for quite a while after the show due to Hart's incessant use of his cymbles. I forgot he was in the drum chair... I usually bring an ear plug for my right ear when Billy's playing. :)

Edited by bresna

19 minutes ago, bresna said:

I saw The Cookers last night in Portsmouth. Good times with a lot of my local Jazz buds. The band was cooking. :)

Eddie Henderson, David Weiss, Billy Harper, Donald Harrison, George Cables, Cecil McBee & Billy Hart. The only negative was that my ears were ringing for quite a while after the show due to Hart's incessant use of his cymbles. I forgot he was in the drum chair... I usually bring an ear plug for my right ear when Billy's playing. :)

Good to see George Cables is back. I saw him live recently in a trio format. He was excellent. Maybe they can bring Victor Lewis back too. ❤️

8 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Good to see George Cables is back. I saw him live recently in a trio format. He was excellent. Maybe they can bring Victor Lewis back too. ❤️

George played great but he's not in good physical shape. He's not mobile at the moment. Hopefully he can regain his feet in the future.

43 minutes ago, bresna said:

George played great but he's not in good physical shape. He's not mobile at the moment. Hopefully he can regain his feet in the future.

He was using a walker when I saw him, but his "spirits" seemed good. Part of his ambulation problem is due to the amputation he had years ago. He has a partial leg prosthesis.

Edited by jlhoots

I went to the Roman Schwaller quartet tuesday night. 

Roman Schwaller is one of the leading saxophonists here in Europe. He´s from Elvetia but lives in Viena. 

He recorded with name musicians like Johnny Griffin and hundrets of others and is a great composer and arranger also. 

The first time I had heard him was jammin with Sonny Stitt, when Roman still was very young and had played with the Viena Art Orchestra. 

He had a very talented young bassist from Serbia, my favourite Oliver Kent on piano and my favourite Mario Gonzi on drums. 

Interesting, they did a lot of Monk tunes that evening, like "Trinkle Tinkle" and so on. 

And an astonishing medium tempo swing version of "For Heaven´s Sake" which is usually done as a ballad, at least that´s how I had played it once. 
After the show Roman told me that he had heard Joe Lovano doing it that way. 

If I go to a show just for my pleasure for listening,  I always sit as near to the drummer as possible, because I love to hear the drums loud and also feel it from the bottom....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I went to the Roman Schwaller quartet tuesday night. 

Roman Schwaller is one of the leading saxophonists here in Europe. He´s from Elvetia but lives in Viena. 

He recorded with name musicians like Johnny Griffin and hundrets of others and is a great composer and arranger also. 

The first time I had heard him was jammin with Sonny Stitt, when Roman still was very young and had played with the Viena Art Orchestra. 

He had a very talented young bassist from Serbia, my favourite Oliver Kent on piano and my favourite Mario Gonzi on drums. 

Interesting, they did a lot of Monk tunes that evening, like "Trinkle Tinkle" and so on. 

And an astonishing medium tempo swing version of "For Heaven´s Sake" which is usually done as a ballad, at least that´s how I had played it once. 
After the show Roman told me that he had heard Joe Lovano doing it that way. 

If I go to a show just for my pleasure for listening,  I always sit as near to the drummer as possible, because I love to hear the drums loud and also feel it from the bottom....

👍😁

I know Roman Schwaller. Nice that you can see him live.  I think I have him as member of some groups. Have to check that.

Have a question: did he ever record something under his name as group leader?

Question solved. Found some on Discogs. 

Edited by jazzcorner

17 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

👍😁

I know Roman Schwaller. Nice that you can see him live.  I think I have him as member of some groups. Have to check that.

Have a question: did he ever record something under his name as group leader?

Question solved. Found some on Discogs. 

Yes, Roman had lived in Germany , I think after his tenur with the VAO, and then returned to Elveția . For that occasion he composed a tune, it´s a waltz with many many changes, and it´s titled "Some Changes to Make". He played it tuesday night. Really some tricky changes, I must admit I wouldn´t be able to check that "ad hoc" without studying the changes before a gig. 

When I had the occasion to play for him in a 3-Tenors Unit this summer it was only standard tunes, so it was easy. 

I love what he plays so much, he and austrian tenorist Thomas Kugi are among my favourites here in Viena.